Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:04 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
JFK-NRT is a nice flight if you can get F on JL new F configuration (usually OK availability), not so nice on AA F but still ok. NRT-SYD usually is J only, no F available (and a 10 hour flight). I''ve often flown JFK-HKG-SYD on CX (but only in F, again rarely offered HKG-SYD) and that is quite nice. Advantage is NRT/HKG are close to SYD timezone so less jet lag if you stopover a day in NRT/HKG. Disadvantage is roughly double travel time But much better award availability.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
JFK-NRT is a nice flight if you can get F on JL new F configuration (usually OK availability), not so nice on AA F but still ok. NRT-SYD usually is J only, no F available (and a 10 hour flight). I''ve often flown JFK-HKG-SYD on CX (but only in F, again rarely offered HKG-SYD) and that is quite nice. Advantage is NRT/HKG are close to SYD timezone so less jet lag if you stopover a day in NRT/HKG. Disadvantage is roughly double travel time But much better award availability.
thanks. great circle mapper shows MIA - SYD as 12700 miles going to JFK and then NRT. Would be in business class as I have 5 in the family to get there and nowhere near enough to do that in F
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:52 am
Original Member

If you are starting from MIA for J travel then I'd look at AA via LAX-NRT rather than JFK. NRT-BNE is often easy to get, but 5 seats is tough on any plane (some of these are only 24 J seats, so you have 20% of the seats). Probably easier award availability going via Europe and then SIN, BKK or KUL to Oz unless you can split 3-2 on separate flights (or some in Y). If you get stuck in Japan, consider other cities in Japan, also via ICN/HKG/KUL/SIN.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Pretty quiet too, what with its lockout laws.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
March trip -- Tasmania and/or ?

We are hoping to get to Australia in early to mid March. We will have maybe 8 or 9 days. Our priority is nature and wildlife. Would like advice on what areas would be good to visit that time of year. We are leaning toward Tasmania with some time in Sydney on the way there or back but we are open to other thoughts for all or part of the time. Is the timing wrong for GBR, or should we make that our priority instead? This will be our first trip to Australia though hopefully not our last. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Member

GBR & Tassie are polar opposites, each is a "best in the world" experience but in very different ways. Timing is fine for either but GBR costs quite a bit more than Tassie (even if you are backpacking). Lots of other areas in Australia are special, not sure anyone can give you useful guidance. Tasmania is under visited and under appreciated (also under-developed, which is a good thing in this day and age). Become a bit of a foodie destination also has a world class museum now (MONA) which is quite a change from a decade ago.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
While it is possible to see nature and wildlife in Queensland inland as well as underwater near the GBR, I'd give Tassie the edge for nature and wildlife.

Check out the weather history in March for both places, Queensland will definitely be warmer, but both can be comfortable depending on your taste.

If you love diving I'd say go for the GBR. If you don't have a big affinity for diving, then the GBR is just snorkeling which can be excellent but I wouldn't call it world class. I get the feeling you'd probably get more out of a trip to Tasmania, unless you are after warm weather.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:25 pm

Thanks so much to both of you. This is very helpful. I am feeling pretty good about going with Tasmania now.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Go to Tasmania and try for as much time as possible. People never regret going and the more popular comment is "I wish I had stayed longer". March is a lovely time of year to go too.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Travel K
Go to Tasmania and try for as much time as possible. People never regret going and the more popular comment is "I wish I had stayed longer". March is a lovely time of year to go too.
Thanks! The more I learn about it the better it sounds!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:25 pm

Another vote for the Great Ocean Road its beautiful scenery and some stunning beaches.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:27 pm

train SYD to MEL

We are hoping to make a trip to OZ sometime next spring, maybe March or April. We would like to take the train to hike for a day or two in the Blue Mtn and then continue to MEL on the train. Is this feasible? And, if so, any suggestions about good lodging somewhere around the Blues? I don't know any towns there, so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Best regards to all the traveler.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No.
The Blue Mountain train is close to a Sydney suburban-regional train. (Katoomba - Lithgow)
The SYD MEL train is a different route (Moss Vale Yass)
http://www.nswtrainlink.info/destinations/network
http://www.railmaps.com.au/fares.htm
http://www.travelonline.com/trains/nsw-trainlink reseller 3rd party web site. Better to book on NSWtrainlink

Passenger trains in Australia are limited and can be/are slow and expensive. Unless you want to see the countryside better to fly
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Katoomba would have the most options for you in the Blue Mountains, especially travelling by train. I like staying in Blackheath, but I usually have a car.

Travelling from the Blue Mountains to MEL by train is not very practical from a time or money perspective, and I'm not sure it is all that scenic. But it depends on what you are after. If you really want to avoid flying and/or see the inland part of the country, then you can take a train to Bathurst (which is a fairly interesting little town). Then you can rent a car or take a bus to pick up the line to Melbourne, somewhere around Wagga Wagga. If you drive you might find it easier to return the car in a bigger city like Albury or even Canberra. It's kind of messy with logistics though, at that point you'd be driving half the distance. Might as well just drive the entire way.

Most likely the best route is to take the train back to SYD Airport and fly to MEL from there.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info on train to MEL. Another question. If we wanted to say in the Blue Mountains for several days and do day hikes, what town would be best? If you have recommendations for places to stay, I'd be interested. We will not have a car, so close to train station or somewhere we can catch a taxi/from hotel and trailhead would be good to know, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.