Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Melbourne: ......take the streetcar to the old seaside beach town
That's a tram to St Kilda
http://stkildamelbourne.com.au/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda,_Victoria

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/projects/trams/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Melbourne
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:59 pm

The weather in Sydney in April May is normally beautiful but could be anything on a given day. Normal would be 25-27c days, Sunshine and cooler evenings. It's been a very hot summer so far though.

if you are in Melbourne at that time of year you should consider seeing an AFL match at the MCG even for non sports types the walk to and from the city and the atmosphere is worth it.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by abox03
spend a day at the rain forest.
In Cairns I have done this a few different ways. I've rented a car and driven up through Port Douglas and on towards Cape Tribulation across the Daintree river ferry and into the Daintree rainforest. There is a place called Rain Forest discovery centre or something similar. There is a tower and elevated walkways as well as interpretive exhibits. We were also able to swing a crocodile viewing river cruise on the Daintree river on the way back. This is kind of a long day but doable from Cairns.

However, ff you ride motorcycle off road, there is a much more interesting way to see the rain forest from Cairns. Let me know.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I will be traveling late April and early May. How is the weather in Sydney during late April?
April is the wettest month in Sydney. Expect daily highs in the low/mid 20s (70's). Rain in Sydney tends to be an event rather than constant drizzle, so that works in your favour.

I arrive early on a thursday and will spend the entire TH-F-Sa-Su in Sydney before flying up to CNS on Monday. I have a plan to see:
-Taronga Zoo
-Sydney Bridge Climb
-Opera House
-Show at the Capitol Theater
-Other suggestions? I am thinking a day trip to the blue mountains using public transport.
Blue Mountains is a good option, bear in mind it will be significantly cooler there than in Sydney. Watsons Bay for a late lunch and watch the sunset over the city – you could tie that in with a trip to Bondi.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
- Your Sydney trip looks quite busy, not sure if it will be worth a trip to the Blue Mountains on top of what you've already got planned. Public transport is a great way to get to Katoomba but once there you are limited on what you can do without a car. In April it is likely to be cold and wet, and also foggy which is the worst case scenario when the main point is to see the views. You can always pencil it in and head out on the day if it look nice, but have a plan B in mind.

- Other Sydney possibilities: Ferry to Manly Beach, Cockatoo Island, spend time at The Rocks (I quite like to walk through The Rocks, have a drink at the Lord Nelson, and stop at Observatory Hill).

Melbourne doesn't have big 'must see' items like Sydney. To enjoy Melbourne is more to enjoy wandering around the laneways, public art, gardens, and having coffee and great food. If you like great food you can plan your itinerary around eating at some amazing restaurants in Melbourne. Fitzroy and St. Kilda are the two most popular suburbs with both accessible by tram from the city. Fitzroy has an edgy and urban vibe while St. Kilda is more about the nearby beach.

Already mentioned is the Queen Vic Market, great for shopping and just general browsing.

I quite like Abbotsford Convent for an excursion not too far from the city. You could also take a ferry down the Yarra Valley to Williamstown. The beach at Brighton is iconic although April may not be great beach weather.

I would probably not recommend going on the Great Ocean Road or the Phillip Island Penguin Parade if you only have 2 days, but both are possible.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
In Cairns I have done this a few different ways. I've rented a car and driven up through Port Douglas and on towards Cape Tribulation across the Daintree river ferry and into the Daintree rainforest. There is a place called Rain Forest discovery centre or something similar. There is a tower and elevated walkways as well as interpretive exhibits. We were also able to swing a crocodile viewing river cruise on the Daintree river on the way back. This is kind of a long day but doable from Cairns.

However, ff you ride motorcycle off road, there is a much more interesting way to see the rain forest from Cairns. Let me know.
+1 Daintree area much more interesting than CNS.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:22 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone! I will have a car rental in CNS area so I will check out the rain tree discovery center for sure.

I think I'll skip the Blue Mountains as I live in a mountain area in the states.

What is the feasibility of renting a car in MEL and doing a day drive tour of the great ocean road? Is it even worth it?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the feasibility of renting a car in MEL and doing a day drive tour of the great ocean road? Is it even worth it?
A one day Great Ocean Road trip is too rushed. The 1 day bus tours leave early (~07:30) and return about 21:00. A long day if your are driving. Better to take 2 days if self driving.
http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions...cean-Road.aspx
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A one day Great Ocean Road trip is too rushed. The 1 day bus tours leave early (~07:30) and return about 21:00. A long day if your are driving. Better to take 2 days if self driving.
http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions...cean-Road.aspx
I agree. It is doable in one day but very exhausting and that isn't a good combination especially in a strange city driving on the other side of the road. If you need to do it in one day, do a coach tour (but those have their downsides too).

A drive that I quite like but isn't really 'typical' is to drive down the Mornington Peninsula to Sorrento, then take the ferry to Queenscliff. You could then continue down to Torquay and Anglesea and get a 'taste' of the GOR before heading back to Melbourne on the inland route.

You could also self-drive to Phillip Island and tour the island before seeing the little penguins after sunset.

While I'm not sure spending a day like this is worthwhile when you only have 2 days in the city, it depends on what you want to see. And it would be much less rushed than the Great Ocean Road in 1 day.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:46 pm

8 Nights in June

I have read this entire thread and am thankful for the great advice! Here is my situation and would love some feedback/opinions.

I was in Australia this past December -- Sydney and Melbourne. I loved it so much that I convinced my 70 year old mother to join me this June for 8 nights in Australia. She has never been but has traveled Europe a ton. Flights are booked from USA; I know it is short but it is what we can do.

My thoughts are to do Sydney for 4-5 of the nights and one other location for the other 3-4 nights.

Sydney I know pretty well from my last trip (stay on points at the Park Hyatt, explore the Rocks, take the ferry to Manly and Watson Bay, maybe do the Bridge Climb this time for a splurge, definitely take her to the zoo).

What I am trying to decide is what to do as the other location. Remember, this is June. We would fly from Sydney. Some options:
  • Great Ocean Road
  • Uluru (and Alice Springs?)
  • Darwin and Kakadu (rent a car)
  • Port Douglas (probably won't go out on a boat to snorkel, so not sure if the Reef is worth it)

Are there others I should consider? Thanks in advance!

TLDR: If you had to pick one other location besides Sydney in June, where would you go for 3-4 nights with your 70 year old (but healthy and active) mother?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
If you had to pick one other location besides Sydney in June, where would you go for 3-4 nights with your 70 year old (but healthy and active) mother?
June is a very good time for Uluru/Alice Springs & Darwin/Kakadu
June is not a good time for the Great Ocean Road (mid winter)
If not going out to the reef Port Douglas/Cairns does not have a lot to offer.

It will take the best part of day to get to/from these places from Sydney.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 19, 2017 at 3:21 pm Reason: Added map link
Old Mar 19, 2017, 4:38 pm

If you had to pick between Uluru and Kakadu, which would you pick?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I vote for the Great Ocean road. It's stunning. And the weather isn't that bad... averages from a google search show 50s as highs in June. Nothing so bad there.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I would do the Northern Territory. The weather is great and they have the special light show right now.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
I would do the Northern Territory. The weather is great and they have the special light show right now.
Are you thinking of the Uluru light show?

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/e...of-light-uluru

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.