Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia itinerary help (not city/region specific)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2015-now; Platinum 09-15; NWA Plat 02-09; Hyatt Globalist, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Thanks everyone!!!
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:19 am
Suspended

I was in Cairns for 10 days and Darwin for 3 days earlier this year. Was a little bit sick and didn't get to do everything I wanted so this is why I want to go back.

I actually like big cities and the beach so Surfer-Brisbane seem to fit the bill.

I won't be driving so I'm limited to public transport and tour operators.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcbg1
I was in Cairns for 10 days and Darwin for 3 days earlier this year. Was a little bit sick and didn't get to do everything I wanted so this is why I want to go back.
OK. Your other threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ding-bali.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...australia.html
Old Dec 28, 2016, 1:25 pm

Sorry for resurrecting the post, but I had a few additional questions if there are those that can provide some recommendations. We've decided to eliminate Cairns from our itinerary and take those days and disperse it amongst the Whitsunday/Arlie area, Melbourne and Tasmania.

With this in mind we're looking at around 4-5 days in the Arlie/Whitsunday area now. I've started looking at accomodations/activities and am still a bit overwhelemed.

Would people recommend staying on one of the islands (seems like there are tons!) or on the mainland (Arlie?)

Also I saw a 2 day "reef sleep" option where you sail out to a pontoon, Swag it up for the night before returning the next day. It seems interesting to "sleep under the stars", is this soemthing that would be good or is it a lot of marketing?

I think at the top of our lists is to visit the reef, check out the hill and inlet, visit whitehaven beach. Can we do these without "tours" and on our own?

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Tours are the easiest way to see the islands and island beaches. It's about 50 km round trip from Airlie Beach to Whitehaven beach for example, so it isn't a quick jaunt.

That said I'm sure you can find independent operators who will take you there and back without it being part of a 'tour', if you want that flexibility. You'll pay extra for it however.

If you have sailing experience or just want to be adventurous, you can charter a boat. My friends and I chartered from http://www.whitsundayescape.com/ and had a great week on the water. it's quite inexpensive to live on the boat and you have total flexibility. The downside is you have to spend time checking in and out and doing the training, etc. And some people don't want the stress of handling a boat or feel incapable. You don't have to sail, you can just run on the motor, but you still have responsibility. In some cases you can hire a crew or just a captain I imagine.

My suggestion would be to take 2-3 days in Airlie Beach and 1-2 days in Hamilton. Take a look at flights and decide which to do first, buying one ways from/to HTI and PPP. That way you get to see Hamilton Island and Airlie Beach, two very different locations. They will both offer excursions, and Hamilton is closer to some like Whitehaven Beach. The ferry from Airlie Beach to Hamilton Island will be a nice inexpensive excursion in itself.

If you end up chartering a boat, you can stay in the marina in Arlie Beach and Hamilton Island for nominal fees. And you can arrange to pick up in Arlie and drop off in Hamilton Island too.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think we'll end up going the tour route! We're both not very nautical (ha!) so we decided to book two seperate tours!

We're both quite excited for this trip now, and am thankful for all the help everyone gave!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

My itinerary has changed a little bit. Trip has been extended to 4 weeks.

4 nights in Sydney
3 nights in Melbourne
4 nights in Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays
2 nights in Brisbane
3 nights in Surfers Paradise
5 nights in Cairns
3 nights in Ayers Rock or Alice Spring
4 nights in Darwin and Kakadu before flying to Bali

Managed to find apartments using coupons on Orbitz and Cheaptickets which brings my nightly accommodation cost to about $75. Should save me some money cooking and doing laundry myself.

Would about $100 per day be enough for a single traveller for food, local transportation, drinks, etc.? I have a separate budget for my excursions and day trips.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4 nights in Sydney
3 nights in Melbourne
2 nights in Brisbane

5 nights in Cairns
Good that you now have 4weeks ^
After 4 nights in Airlie Beach/Whitsundays you will be terribly disappointed with Surfers Paradise (it is not paradise!)
After 4/3 nights in Sydney/Melbourne you will be disappointed with Brisbane
Enjoy the Red Centre & the Top End
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA

4 nights in Sydney
3 nights in Melbourne
2 nights in Brisbane
5 nights in Cairns

Managed to find apartments using coupons on Orbitz and Cheaptickets which brings my nightly accommodation cost to about $75. Should save me some money cooking and doing laundry myself.

Would about $100 per day be enough for a single traveller for food, local transportation, drinks, etc.? I have a separate budget for my excursions and day trips.
100 should be okay outside of transport/hotels/excursions. Excursions can be expensive down there. Its expensive down there, but if you're not going to crazy expensive restaurants, you should be okay.

One note, bring a hat with a bug net attached for Ayers Rock if you are in bug season. Or buy one immediately upon getting there.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Personally I did like Surfers Paradise but i wasnt there that long. Brisbane in the other hand, 1 night was too much LOL
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I would spend more time in Melbourne and maybe Sydney and less time in Brisbane and Surfer's Paradise.

There are so many great excursions from Sydney and Melbourne that are far more interesting than Brisbane and Surfers.

You could do the Blue Mountains in Sydney, Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island around Melbourne.

As for Darwin, make sure you check out Litchfield as well as Kakadu. While Kakadu is amazing, it is vast. I found Litchfield more accessible and intimate.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Did you miss my Melbourne suggestions?
I did now.
I forgot to refresh before I entered my question about Melbourne.
Great tip.
I really appreciate all of the comments and reassurances.
I am trying to fly light and not shlep around tons of food with me.
will post some of the best finds when I come back for future travelers.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:07 am

Oz Trip

Hello All!

I have exhaustively read this thread and found some really great ideas. I wanted to share my itinerary with any locals here in hopes of more ideas!

I will be traveling late April and early May. How is the weather in Sydney during late April?

I arrive early on a thursday and will spend the entire TH-F-Sa-Su in Sydney before flying up to CNS on Monday. I have a plan to see:
-Taronga Zoo
-Sydney Bridge Climb
-Opera House
-Show at the Capitol Theater
-Other suggestions? I am thinking a day trip to the blue mountains using public transport.

I will spend M-F in CNS, specifically Trinity Beach. I know I will do one day of snorkeling/diving and spend a day at the rain forest. Are there any tours that are specially good for this? I booked a wavelength snorkel tour, which gets good reviews. I also want a day or two of R&R at the beach. Anything is this area that is an absolute must?

Friday leaving for a weekend in Melbourne. Mostly for shopping. This part of the trip I am unsure what to do with. I am not finding as much to do in Melbourne for Sa-Sun. Thoughts?

Any suggestions of my itinerary would be greatly appreciated. I know it is short but I only have 13 days as I have to then fly on to Tokyo.

Thanks !
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:02 pm

not a local, but I too am planning my Oz trip later this year.

On my list for Sydney is a trip to the Blue Mountains, not via public transportation but via a tour operator. We also plan on Bondi Beach and the coastal walk to Coogee. Possibly another beach such as Long Reef Beach. (we are not doing any other beach time while in Oz)
If we are going to rent a car, we will do a trip south to Royal National Park and Grand Pacific Drive.

In Melbourne I have the same issue of what to do. I've been to Melbourne many many years ago and do not recall anything too memorable to do again. However, I do plan on a tour along the Great Ocean Road - you could drive yourself if you have a car, but I want to save myself that hassle.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the above:

Melbourne: zoo, Victoria Market, South Bank area, take the streetcar to the old seaside beach town, Mornington Peninsula wineries, penguin parade!!!

Sydney: aquarium, boat to Manley and its aquarium, The Rocks, art museum, botanic gardens and Mrs. X's chair, the contemporary art museum at the beginning of the Rocks, maybe the observatory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.