Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia where to stay on points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Australia where to stay on points?

I have looked at Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt, and others and it seems that there are little to no hotel rooms in Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns available using points.

I am looking at a year out to see what the availability is and we plan to travel down with the family in June 2017. Will it be best to try and lock in rooms with points in July 2016 for June 2017 travel or do they open up more rooms closer to the search dates?

Any advice as to which program I should accumulate points in and the best way to get reward nights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:29 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Accor has tons of availability (probably because they have 10x more hotels & rooms compared to Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt/SPG etc. in Oz. The major cities in Oz have been runninng world's highest occupancy rates and that is not likely to improve with the AUD exchange rate attracting more tourists, esp. from Asia. Hence the shortage of "free" rooms when they can sell them instead.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks. No real sign up bonuses or transfer partners to accumulate points for Accor?

Last edited by g8trgr8t; Jun 8, 2016 at 6:35 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Red, SQ, HH Silver, Marriott Gold.
Most of the hotels in the chains you mention have not opened reservations for June 2017 yet. Hence no availability showing for cash or points.
Your best bets are the chains that have more hotels in the three cities you mention. This probably means Accor, IHG, and Hilton.
As to which chain offers the best deals for you will depend on your home country and what offers are available through the chains and credit cards.
Keep an eye on what points are required as rooms become available.
You may need points in your account before you can book with points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.