Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Alright, I'll guess. Upgrade SEA-NRT and NRT-PEK to a 744, SEA-KIX-HKG A332 is the new route.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA1K
if they're making this big of a deal about it, you could guess china, HKG, or SYD. i guess we'll see.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Ooooh.. I know, I know...
SEA-ATL (on NW metal )
Old May 8, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
if they're making this big of a deal about it, you could guess china, HKG, or SYD. i guess we'll see.
I don't think it will be SYD. NW already has a joint venture with Virgin Australia for some SYD routes. In theory starting up at the end of the summer. Adding their own direct SYD route ex-west coast doesn't make any sense.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
95 posts of speculation. Only 1.5 hours to go. Let's hope that the route is worthy of the excitement.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:28 pm
Suspended

I haven't gotten any work done all day because of the suspense. Will somebody post the answer!

Thanks for the response. At least I can work for the next 1.5 hours then come back!

Last edited by thezipper; May 8, 2008 at 1:29 pm Reason: consecutive posts by OP
Old May 8, 2008, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Doesn't NW have a few authorities that are CONUS-China and can be operated as either passenger service or cargo. Right now they are used by the cargo operation, but with the lost of DHL maybe the math works out better in the passenger business.
True, NW has 20 weekly combination frequencies and nine cargo-only frequencies. Some of the combination frequencies can be switched to cargo and back at NW's option:

Originally Posted by DOT
The U.S.-China Protocol permits the United States to freely convert between combination and all-cargo service 18 of the 54 U.S. frequencies that were authorized under the U.S.-China bilateral before it was amended by the Protocol last year. Northwest utilized this convertibility feature last year when it temporarily converted seven of its Shanghai combination frequencies to all-cargo service. It changed those frequencies back to combination service and began passenger service to Guangzhou in November.
DOT-OST-2004-19077-0378 (footnote 2)
(Impossible to Hyperlink since 3/31/08)

NW is free to move its Japan-China frequencies back to the mainland (its failure to do so was cited by the DOT as one reason for denying NW additional combination frequencies until this past year); perhaps it will do so now that it has finally won DTW-PVG last year.

Hardly makes for an exciting "new route" announcement, though.
Old May 8, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
KIX: Probability 40%
NGO: 30%
HKG: 25%
PEK/PVG: 5% only if they stop NRT-CAN or some cargo flights to China
Old May 8, 2008, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by PVGMSP
PEK/PVG: 5% only if they stop NRT-CAN or some cargo flights to China
They already announced that they're suspending daily cargo flights to CAN. I don't know if they can be converted to combination service.
Old May 8, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by motytrah
I don't think it will be SYD. NW already has a joint venture with Virgin Australia for some SYD routes. In theory starting up at the end of the summer. Adding their own direct SYD route ex-west coast doesn't make any sense.
i'm a UA regular so i'm not familiar with everything NW is involved with, even though i'm interviewing to join NW. should be entertaining though to see what they announce.
Old May 8, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
It looks like they are rejiggering things around. My first vote is CAN, if not CAN than HKG.
Old May 8, 2008, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If it's southeastern China (e.g., HKG or CAN), I wonder if NW is getting a good deal on O8's P-W 744s?
Old May 8, 2008, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
One thing is for sure: NW really did perk people's interests here on this forum...
Old May 8, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by slippahs
One thing is for sure: NW really did perk people's interests here on this forum...
Must be a slow news day for NWA to cause so much interest.

It has to be some timeworn destination like HKG or SIN. I cannot imagine them doing anything new!
Old May 8, 2008, 3:06 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080508/20080508006313.html?.v=1

EAGAN, Minn.--Northwest Airlines today announced an expansion of its trans-Pacific route network with new daily nonstop service from Seattle to Beijing.

Scheduled to begin March 1, 2009, Northwest’s new nonstop service will conveniently connect Beijing to Seattle and destinations throughout the United States via flights operated by Northwest and our codeshare partners Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air.

“Northwest Airlines is proud to be Seattle’s largest air service provider across both the Atlantic and Pacific oceans,” said Neal Cohen, Northwest Airlines’ executive vice president of strategy and international and CEO-regional airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.