Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 4:12 pm
Suspended

I almost feel like Al-Qaeda hit us except don't feel numb

Everyone was saying Osaka. A few said places like Seoul, Sydney, somewhere in Europe. Several said....except not the People's Republic of China.

Then...wham.....PEK.

Smack us on the head, just like al-Qaeda likes to do. Since it's a new flight and not an attack, it's not numbing but it's an eyeopener.

Think outside of the box next time.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thezipper
my bet would be SEA-PEK... and if so, be ready to book those WBC awards for the Olympics when the flight opens!
You were right (mostly) and I was wrong (sort of).

Won't be in time for the Olympics and apparently replaces NRT-CAN.

Exciting news for people in SEA.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:15 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Thumbs down Once again NW isn't thinking PAST Beijing or SEA

The problem I see is once again NW isn't thinking PAST Beijing or SEA...

Daily Service Seattle to Beijing

Destination: Departs: Arrives:
Beijing 4:55 p.m. 8:35 p.m. +1

Seattle 10:55 p.m. 6:35 p.m.

The arrival times are similar to the current arrival times out of NRT. Basically few if any onward connections are possible out of Beijing, so one has to overnight. UA flights arrive in the afternoon, so on-ward connections are possible. Also, coming back it's the same problem, one has another overnight red-eye to anyplace other than the west coast. Add to that, no showers in the SEA WC...
Old May 8, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jacksafar
Its pretty much two less rows of Economy for another row of Business. I'm sure it will be similar pitch-wise. But none of the Microsoft folks with Elite status on NW/DL or AS will want to fly HU when they can earn and burn on the NW flight.
I still think HU's pitch should be better - HU has 25 fewer coach seats and 4 more biz seats. A332 has 8 seats across in Y, so it doesn't need 3 rows of coach space to make up 4 seats in C.

Last edited by PVGMSP; May 8, 2008 at 4:23 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 8, 2008, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ecofreak
from the press release:

Can we infer that NRT/CAN will be cut to make the announced SEA/PEK a reality?
No, absolutely not. Because NW will kept both way from NRT-CAN/PEK for awhile. Its does not need change the frequency from NRT anytime soon.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:22 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
see Post #11

Originally Posted by 797-3
Everyone was saying Osaka. A few said places like Seoul, Sydney, somewhere in Europe. Several said....except not the People's Republic of China.

Then...wham.....PEK.

Smack us on the head, just like al-Qaeda likes to do. Since it's a new flight and not an attack, it's not numbing but it's an eyeopener.

Think outside of the box next time.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: NW Plat
I still think that USA-SYD nonstop would be the most profitable route for SkyTeam. We are tired of paying $8k-$10k a seat to UA and ICN connections are a little too far off the beaten path. I just don't get NW's, DL's and CO's reasoning behind ignoring this route. Why not do a codeshare on it?
Old May 8, 2008, 4:37 pm

The arrival times are similar to the current arrival times out of NRT. Basically few if any onward connections are possible out of Beijing, so one has to overnight. UA flights arrive in the afternoon, so on-ward connections are possible. Also, coming back it's the same problem, one has another overnight red-eye to anyplace other than the west coast. Add to that, no showers in the SEA WC...
I concur. Right now NRT-PEK arrives around at 9:30 pm, so either way a connecting pax has to stay overnight in Beijing .

Also I don't quite understand the cancellation of NRT-CAN. When I flew NRT-CAN in 05/06, each time it was packed... in Y, though WBC was not full (757's WBC is a joke )

Or maybe NW is planning to code shore with ST member China Southern (CZ) on NRT-CAN. In 2009, CZ is starting PEK-DTW (Supposedly with 787 ), which got to have NW's feeds/Code share in DTW for CZ to make money...
Old May 8, 2008, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA1K

The flight time is obviously bad, they should consider moving everything up for 3-4 hours, thus they can at least provide decent connecting option for beyond PEK while still allow people from Eastern coast to connect on NW89.

For flight back, I do not think there is much NW can do, for any connection beyond SEA to Mid- or Eastern US would require a morning arrival, which requires the aircraft to remain in PEK overnight.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by PVGMSP
Also I don't quite understand the cancellation of NRT-CAN. When I flew NRT-CAN in 05/06, each time it was packed... in Y, though WBC was not full (757's WBC is a joke )
they only have 28 weekly passenger rights to mainland China, and their press says NRT/PEK, NRT/PVG, DTW/PVG and SEA/PEK will stay, which renders NRT/CAN an impossibility.
Old May 8, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I can't agree more.

Both SEA-PEK and DTW-PVG have the worst possible schedule.

Hainan's SEA-PEK schedule is way way better.

Old May 8, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA

I would guess that the schedule is set up as such partly for aircraft utilization/rotation purposes. The SEA-PEK flight will utilize the A332 coming in from AMS (arrives SEA around 2:30pm). The PEK-SEA A332 could be used for SEA-LHR that night (leaves at around 10:30pm). This east-west utilization of aircraft is far more efficient than having the plane sit overnight for the traditional daytime departure across the Pacific, for example.

Last edited by ClipperDelta; May 8, 2008 at 5:50 pm
Old May 8, 2008, 6:50 pm

you have to understand..

this isnt Skyteam we're talking about... at the end of the day it's Northwest (and eventually Delta/Northwest) that airlines have to make the decision for, NOT the Alliance. the Alliance is PURELY a marketing relationship - in very rare circumstances only is there a revenue share model in place. At the end of the day, airlines will put metal where it's best for THEM, and if it benefits their alliance, great. if not, oh well.

Originally Posted by AlexM
I still think that USA-SYD nonstop would be the most profitable route for SkyTeam. We are tired of paying $8k-$10k a seat to UA and ICN connections are a little too far off the beaten path. I just don't get NW's, DL's and CO's reasoning behind ignoring this route. Why not do a codeshare on it?
Old May 8, 2008, 7:19 pm

A few more comments:

1. The timing of launching SEA-PEK is kind of interesting ...... 6 months AFTER the Olympics. And on top of HU's same route. - Maybe NW saw some stats that says that tourism in Australia/Greece increased quite a bit POST-Olympics. Otherwise, one would wonder why NW didn’t start SEA-PEK earlier this year or even right after they lost to UA for the additional China authority in 2006 (UA started IAD-PEK since), since they could’ve switched NRT-CAN to SEA-PEK anytime they want. This brings in my second point -

2. Currently China’s export-focused manufacturing is under tremendous pressure – fast-rising labor, utility, commodity and other costs, appreciating Chinese Yuan, coupled with the recession/slower economy in US/Europe. The Pearl River Delta region (basically the triangle of Guangzhou (CAN), Hong Kong and Macao), traditionally the strongest manufacturing base in China for exports, is experiencing the worst of this slowdown. It has been reported quite a few factories in the PRD were abruptly shut down by the owners, who just skipped town (or more likely, the country), owing back pays to their workers. In this kind of environment, NW must’ve seen a sharp deterioration of yield to CAN, which might not be that good to begin with, since CAN needs to complete with many many flights to HKG, although NW has itself to blame too - for using 757 on the 5+ hr ride of NRT-CAN. Who wants to pay C fares to sit in a domestic FC seat with a few more inches of pitch?

3. Further evidence that CAN is not doing well, yield-wise. UA was going to start SFO-CAN n/s earlier this year, but they requested to DOT for postponing it till 2009.

4. Still I always liked flying to CAN, instead of HKG, where you need to clear customs/border control twice (Hong Kong + China) if you have business in PRD. Besides, NW’s NRT-HKG arrives after 10 pm, making overnight in HK almost mandatory.

Sorry, kind of off the topic. -Just sad to see the only US carrier service to CAN is going away.....

Last edited by PVGMSP; May 8, 2008 at 8:21 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 8, 2008, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 797-3
Yikes, somewhat tasteless analogy, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.