Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northwest Airlines Announces New Nonstop Service between Seattle and Beijing

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by PVGMSP
Oops...I didn't mean I am "for" AA buying AS. In fact I would like NW buying AS...Oh well, that is not going to happen now.
Absolutely not. its not gonna happens from AS. They are not able buyout from AS. Because AS will should to kept it the name for a long time. I don't think will not able change it for a long time. I don't see any more sound the logical choice from AS.
Old May 9, 2008, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by giggy
NW might get really screwed when AA buys Alaska
I would think that, as long as AS continues to play nice with everybody, that there is a good chance they can remain independent. They don't bring any long-haul capacity, which is what I see these mergers being about. I mean, why buy the cow (AS), when you can get the milk (feed for international flights) for 'free'?
Old May 9, 2008, 4:55 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would think that, as long as AS continues to play nice with everybody, that there is a good chance they can remain independent. They don't bring any long-haul capacity, which is what I see these mergers being about. I mean, why buy the cow (AS), when you can get the milk (feed for international flights) for 'free'?
AA has stated that they dont plan on letting the whole industry consolidate while sitting idlely by. A combined NW/DL is certainly going to be a force to be reckoned with. Maybe the milk is free right now, but its free for NW too. Im sure AA would like to own the cow and totally squeeze all NWs feeder routes on the west coast. You might even see a mini hub for AA in seattle. Right now to go sea-nrt on AA Seattlites have to fly as to sfo or aa to dfw and then fly right by sea on the way over

Last edited by giggy; May 9, 2008 at 5:02 am
Old May 9, 2008, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jacksafar
Its pretty much two less rows of Economy for another row of Business. I'm sure it will be similar pitch-wise. But none of the Microsoft folks with Elite status on NW/DL or AS will want to fly HU when they can earn and burn on the NW flight.
A friend of mine got to check out one of HU's new planes last week and said that the business class was lie flat and the coach pitch was generous; also AVOD throughout (just like NW, though maybe with inferior content).
Old May 9, 2008, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by jing_canada
Total time from PEK to east-coast is the same for the PEK-NRT-MSP/DTW-east coast connection and the PEK-SEA-(red eye)-MSP/DTW-east coast connection.
There is obviously an error on the PEK-SEA schedule. Assuming PEK-SEA is blocked for 11 hours, a 5p departure would arrive at 1p during the summer or noon during the winter.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thezipper
As I've said, NW is very forward thinking... they don't need DL.... DL needs NW and ALL its assets!
Increasing utilization of your fixed assets is not forward thinking. Its a basic business strategy that should have been pursued years ago.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by moondog
also AVOD throughout (just like NW, though maybe with inferior content).
I really don't think that's possible. NW has a pretty lame content variety on the AVOD. The asian carriers beat NW hands down on the AVOD variety.
Old May 9, 2008, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I really don't think that's possible. NW has a pretty lame content variety on the AVOD. The asian carriers beat NW hands down on the AVOD variety.
Chinese flag carriers are supposed to get their IFE content approved by the Ministry of Culture (which only approves ~20 foreign films per year).
Old May 9, 2008, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Well, I don't think SQ or CX is a fair comparison.

In general, NW has one of the best English language IFE offerings across the Pacific.
Old May 9, 2008, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by giggy
AA has stated that they dont plan on letting the whole industry consolidate while sitting idlely by. A combined NW/DL is certainly going to be a force to be reckoned with. Maybe the milk is free right now, but its free for NW too. Im sure AA would like to own the cow and totally squeeze all NWs feeder routes on the west coast. You might even see a mini hub for AA in seattle.
You think AA will be 3rd time lucky on the west coast?
Old May 9, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
Hopefully not. We all saw what AA did to Reno Air.
Not to mention Air Cal.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
A sweet deal from Port Seattle

Please see - http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...57_port09.html

Excerpt:
With the unanimous approval of its five-member board of elected overseers, the port in February of last year steepened the discount it began offering in December 2005. Under the program to attract new direct European and Asian flights, carriers pay 25 percent of the new service's annual fee for use of the international arrival facilities for the first two years. Airport spokesman Perry Cooper said Northwest's international arrival facility fees would total $323,000 per year, meaning that for the first two years it will pay $80,750.
The landing fees, which Cooper said for Northwest's new flights would add up to $394,000 per year, are waived entirely during the first year and then cut by 75 percent the second year. The port also spends $455,000 to market a new flight during its first three years to "help it get a foothold in this market," Cooper said.
Didn't PDX offer something similar to entice NW to start PDX-NRT?
Old May 15, 2008, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
I would guess that the schedule is set up as such partly for aircraft utilization/rotation purposes. The SEA-PEK flight will utilize the A332 coming in from AMS (arrives SEA around 2:30pm). The PEK-SEA A332 could be used for SEA-LHR that night (leaves at around 10:30pm). This east-west utilization of aircraft is far more efficient than having the plane sit overnight for the traditional daytime departure across the Pacific, for example.
I had the same thought. The original flight to Bangalore was a SEA-AMS-BLR but that was nixed due to poor sales.

This makes sense. The flight times aren't ideal but landing at PEK at 6pm isn't the end of the world, there's 50 flights a day to SHA/PVG and they run as late as 9pm.

Interesting timing but I guess CAN isn't cutting it. I haven't been to the new CAN airport but connections out of HKG aren't the end of the world, either.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jacksafar
I just hope we still get frequent 332 subs on the SEA-MSP-SEA route as these birds are rotated around. I love it when that happens. Last summer was pretty fantastic when they were on the schedule for a whole month and half. But when the A330 shows up randomly on the SEA-MSP flights it makes so many who are used to the 752/753 so happy.
And, with more A330 flights out of SEA, there will likely be more random upgrades. I remember the 747 subs back in the 80's. One night, I was flying a packed A320 redeye from SEA-MSP. When I arrived at the airport, it had MAGICALLY turned into a 747-200 (and I got a row of 5 middle seats to myself).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.