Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:55 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by RedChili

Probably correct, but if they would do what you suggest, i.e. repeat tests of positive patients, that would produce inflated positive statistics.
Which is why other countries report by tests or per persons, not per samples. Again this prove the point Sweden is under testing massively.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sweden has a much worse unemployment rate than Denmark, maybe they should use it? It doesn't take all that much training to have someone administer the tests reliably. How much more complicated do you believe it is it to properly operate already calibrated machines to run the samples and run with the read outs?.
Do you think Sweden has even enough people to perform such jobs? I heard that NMR machines in hospitals are not used because of not enough staff available. Maybe it is also a financial question of hiring people.
In any case no tests are better for Sweden to keep people in the dark. It fits the Swedish strategy brilliantly.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bluesaturn
Do you think Sweden has even enough people to perform such jobs? I heard that NMR machines in hospitals are not used because of not enough staff available. Maybe it is also a financial question of hiring people.
In any case no tests are better for Sweden to keep people in the dark. It fits the Swedish strategy brilliantly.
I don't know enough about the registered unemployment pool in Sweden to know who all is in it, but I am pretty sure that staffing for testing too is in substantial part a financial question. Sort of like how in Sweden they stop routine mammogram screening at the age of 74 years: stopped not because it can't be done as a result of of labor force and equipment constraints, but stopped because they don't think it makes sense to invest the money in doing a more enduring job in protecting elderly (non-working) women from breast cancer.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Peter fell out of a second floor window of the Burj Khalifa. Simultaneously, George fell out of a 154th floor window of the same building. Three seconds afterwards, George said, "So far so good," and onlookers drew the conclusion that Peter was seriously injured while George had no injuries at all.
Wouldn't a far more accurate allegory be

Peter fell from the 154th floor window, George is standing at the open window, and while no one knows whether George is going to fall or not, it is pretty clear undisputed that Peter is goo on the sidewalk.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 5:14 am

I don't know enough about the registered unemployment pool in Sweden to know who all is in it, but I am pretty sure that staffing for testing too is in substantial part a financial question. Sort of like how in Sweden they stop routine mammogram screening at the age of 74 years: stopped not because it can't be done as a result of of labor force and equipment constraints, but stopped because they don't think it makes sense to invest the money in doing a more enduring job in protecting elderly (non-working) women from breast cancer.
Thank you for the insight. What amazes me is that in other countries Sweden is presented as a glorified country where everything is super, in particular in education and in health care. I fell into the same trap when I came to Sweden. I thought, now I am in a good health care system. Turned out that when I needed help, it was hard to get. I asked for an NMR as the doctor could not diagnose and it makes perfectly sense to apply physical methods. NMR? Not when you don't need surgery. Private payment? Sure. 2500SEK and a year of waiting time.
I asked for a lung test after COVID19. Doctor said, I understand where you are coming from, but no, the Swedish system does not foresee this. Skane is in particular stingy with its health care system.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 5:52 am
Suspended

Thank you for the insight. What amazes me is that in other countries Sweden is presented as a glorified country where everything is super, in particular in education and in health care. I fell into the same trap when I came to Sweden. I thought, now I am in a good health care system. Turned out that when I needed help, it was hard to get. I asked for an NMR as the doctor could not diagnose and it makes perfectly sense to apply physical methods. NMR? Not when you don't need surgery. Private payment? Sure. 2500SEK and a year of waiting time.
I asked for a lung test after COVID19. Doctor said, I understand where you are coming from, but no, the Swedish system does not foresee this. Skane is in particular stingy with its health care system.
I try to customize most of my responses based on what I think may be most relevant to the individual. So the mammogram cut-off example was Skane specific.

Many a medical lab in the US gets a fair amount of the lab work done during what are non-traditional hours of the day for most workers, and that means something for capacity and turn times. While I haven't sought out information on how medical lab operations in Sweden are run, I find Swedish lab results to generally come back way slower than what I'm used to in the US, UK, Denmark, and India, for example.

I used to see a lot of night shift medical lab workers take the train to, and then taxi from, some Long Island Railroad stations pretty near the border of Nassau and Suffolk county on Long Island in NY. Having talked to those workers in the shared taxis over the years, I would say they often seemed to be of the same kind of backgrounds as people that I find living in the poorer sections of Malmo and Stockholm who are dealing with the Swedish government employment agency offices. So I'm inclined to say there is some additional labor capacity that could be used in Sweden too for more medical testing, more so if the employers revised practices in ways that can be done to make sure the maximizing of test capacity utilization happens without cutting down on the quality of the work output.

But this is Sweden, and finding people able and willing to work the odd-hour shifts is much easier in the proverbial dog-eat-dog US than in a Sweden where people default to assuming the government will somehow save them at some basic-yet-acceptable level at least so they don't need to make the odd-hour shift work work if they don't want it. Also, Swedish managers and employees seem to have their own way of opposing changed workplace environments, whether it comes to changed processes or to taking in employees of a different background than was already the case for the work site. Change management is its own thing everywhere, but Sweden is its own special case in this regard.
bluesaturn likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 7, 2020 at 6:09 am
Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:27 am

Thanks for the answer. I have used LIR to NYC as well a couple of times when visiting somebody on LI. ;-)
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Yesterday Svd wrote that a leading Swedish virus expert (Tegnell I think) claims all European countries would follow now the Swedish way. I somehow can understand that Tegnell lives in his Swedish COVID19 bubble, but the journalists as well? Where are the critical questions?
What he means is probably that they won't have any lockdown. In March, many countries thought that a lockdown was the answer. When they opened up again, they saw the virus coming back in full force, and they realized that a lockdown doesn't solve the problem. It's only delaying the problem. As far as I know, no European country has returned to the same level of lockdown as they had in the spring, so in that sense they have adopted the Swedish way.

There have been many experts who have voiced similar opinions over the past couple of months. When New Zealand had their recent outbreak, there was a WHO expert who warned against a new lockdown and instead pointed to the Swedish model as an example to follow.

The above analogy has nothing to do with comparing Sweden with its immediate neighbors when it comes to the official response to the coronavirus spread and what that meant during the peak harm of the coronavirus in the region this year.
I got this analogy from Professor John Ioannidis's article back in March, where he wrote:

A population-wide case fatality rate of 0.05% is lower than seasonal influenza. If that is the true rate, locking down the world with potentially tremendous social and financial consequences may be totally irrational. It’s like an elephant being attacked by a house cat. Frustrated and trying to avoid the cat, the elephant accidentally jumps off a cliff and dies.
In this analogy, the whole world has decided to jump off the cliff, and they're still falling. We won't know the true answer until all countries have hit rock bottom, and we're far from there.

Sweden has a much worse unemployment rate than Denmark, maybe they should use it? It doesn't take all that much training to have someone administer the tests reliably. How much more complicated do you believe it is it to properly operate already calibrated machines to run the samples and run with the read outs?
It's actually quite interesting that Umea University is now running the first (that I know of) mass scale testing in Sweden. They're testing 20,000 students and staff, twice each, to find out how many are infected druing the first week, and how the infection has spread during the second week. The military is helping them conducting these tests. Maybe they should have done this all over Sweden back in March and April. That's when the infection spread like wildfire, and there was very little testing going on.

With regard to "As long as they don't change the criteria of who's being tested, there's no reason to believe that the trend is wrong", I suggest not assuming it to be all that simple. Criteria that are expanded to include more testing doesn't miss trends as easily as criteria of sort that stay constant when the spread is becoming more pervasive in scope as well as maybe scale.
Perhaps. The point that I was trying to make was that the percentage of positive tests depends on what groups you are testing. Sorted from highest to lowest percentage, the following is how I would sort various groups:

1. Patients that have already tested positive once.
2. Patients that are hospitalized with serious covid symptoms.
3. People that display mild covid symptoms.
4. Suspected positive people due to e.g. contact with a positive person.
5. Anybody who's afraid of covid.
6. Random population.
7. People that have already tested negative.

Between March-June, Sweden mostly tested those in group 2 and 4, which gives a high percentage of positive tests. But since mid-June, Sweden has tested all groups between 2-5, which means a smaller percentage of positive tests.

It appears to me that Fransknorge argues that they should also conduct more testing of group 6, the random population, but in my opinion, conducting that kind of testing would actually lead to an even lower percentage of positive tests compared to today, and it would lead to a higher proportion of false positive tests.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Wouldn't a far more accurate allegory be

Peter fell from the 154th floor window, George is standing at the open window, and while no one knows whether George is going to fall or not, it is pretty clear undisputed that Peter is goo on the sidewalk.
See above. The truth is that the whole world has jumped off the cliff, and we're still falling. I think that it will take 10 years until we know the answer.
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:02 am
Suspended

The March and April spread of this virus in Sweden spread like wildfire? Given how few people in even the most urbanized parts of Skane seem to have antibodies for this even now, I tend to think that it's yet another indication of why Tegnell's insinuations about level of "herd immunity" in Sweden and what it means for Sweden have been repeatedly off, off substantially, and way too Stockholm-centric and presumptuously optimistic. I get it that a lot of people in and around Stockholm and even elsewhere in Sweden think that Stockholm is the center of the universe with approximately 20-25% of the country's population, but there's a whole lot of Sweden where the virus spread was far more limited than it was in and around Stockholm.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:33 am

It's not too early to draw serious conclusions about what happened in the first two quarters of the pandemic hitting the country. Sweden's death counts per capita were horrendous during Q2. The economy didn't outperform its locked down neighbors.

Sweden does have a legal regime allowing for some government authorities to order lock downs of sort with its 2004 Communicable Diseases Act in mind .... but quarantines/isolating/locking down an area for a disease like Covid-19 can't be imposed on an area greater than a few blocks around an individual and those who may have been exposed to an individual. In other words, the government can't order a lockdown of a city or the country. It has to fish for individuals to use as a basis to impose such restrictions and then can institute them on an area no greater than a few blocks in a neighborhood.

Segregation remains a failed approach. The idea that there is now "better" segregation in Sweden is a joke. Who knows what to make with the idea of herd immunity in Sweden, especially as the vast majority of Sweden has not been hit by this virus yet.

The Swedish response delivered way more deaths per capita in the peak quarter for this disease here. And the economy got hit nearly as hard or even harder than its neighbors with lockdowns.
As with any disaster aftermath, the rates of increase in business recovery and household confidence are also key. Future excess death and quality-of-life impacts that lag the periods of intervention are still to be observed for complete analysis. Views that hold to early trends from partial data must adapt, just like anything else involving this fast-progressing contagion. Raw death tolls may allow for simplistic arguments, but such cannot help with full understanding of the final outcome.

As for care homes, resident populations have not changed much in risk profile, only in exposure. Improvements in prognosis and handling within constraints have reduced fatality incidence to below or that of its neighbors, although officials do admit their failure to recognize sooner the disproportionate burden on the elderly and thereby avert more deaths.

The bigger news is that Sweden's case rates are dropping massively against predictions, which trend is attributed mainly to voluntary self-distancing in the collective. Other than amenable mutations and preventive treatments, what other explanations are there, beyond superior practices and the resulting minimization/segregation benefits? Superior information shaping? Superior folk consciousness? Superior herd development?

On the last, no one knows more about its theoretical considerations than the top experts in the field.
Experts: Daily life may remain disrupted after vaccine launch
- Epidemiologists think about achieving herd immunity as a formula with three variables: how infectious the disease is, the effectiveness of the vaccine and how many people receive the vaccine. At least 70 percent to 85 percent of the population must have immunity either through prior infection or through a vaccine to beat this novel coronavirus, the Trump administration’s top scientists estimated at a congressional hearing in late June.

“It’s really got to be over 70 percent of the population that’s got to be immune before we even begin to see any impact on herd immunity,” said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield. “I would say 70 at the lowest,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
That’s going to take some time, according to virologists, vaccinologists and regulatory experts. Success is not guaranteed. -

- “Getting to high rates of COVID vaccination won’t be like flipping a switch,” said Jason L. Schwartz, assistant professor at the Yale School of Public Health’s Department of Health Policy and Management. “With any new vaccine, it can take years to get anywhere close to the 70 percent to 80 percent targets we’re hoping for with these vaccines.” -

- There is still also a lot to be learned about whether a COVID-19 infection protects you from illness and, if so, for how long. Observational studies suggest protective antibody responses began to deplete in patients within weeks of COVID-19 symptoms beginning to show, depending on the severity of the disease. That has implications for the durability of any vaccine. Natural infection also produces memory B-cells and memory T-cells, which could also confer some protection against COVID-19. And it is possible to have a vaccine that confers longer protection than natural infection, Offit said. -
Natural/treated population immunity was always going to be in our future, with cellular cross-protection likely playing its part as much as any vaccinations.

It seems this coronavirus is not so novel after all, so governments might as well curtail interventions that bring unprecedented collateral hits to civilization. Sweden's response shows how such baseline mitigation could be improved to protect those at high risk and with least total harm to the rest.
RedChili, Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by FlitBen; Sep 8, 2020 at 12:36 pm
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:07 am
Original Poster

I get it that a lot of people in and around Stockholm and even elsewhere in Sweden think that Stockholm is the center of the universe with approximately 20-25% of the country's population, but there's a whole lot of Sweden
Really? I tried to go south this summer, but only got as far as Kolmarden. It appeared to me that the road ended there, so I just assumed that there was nothing left of Sweden south of Kolmarden ...
GUWonder and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 4:43 am
Suspended

Sweden's cases aren't dropping massively against all predictions. If anything it was expected with some that Swedish summer habits would mean a tremendous slowdown in spread and deliver its part until well after schools and public transport started getting packed to the brim again post-summer.

Sweden is a bad example of how to "protect" those at high risk of the worst harm from being hit by this virus, and it still is. And if Sweden is considered by some to be a good example of that, then note that it already came at and charged an awfully worse price at the worst time of this year for it than was the case for its Scandinavian neighbors -- when looking at the damage done in terms of the lives, physical health and economy. Of course if the point is to drive down the health care costs over the longer term that are attributable to the most expensive people in the health care and other parts of the welfare system during the final years of life, then letting more die sooner with this virus may turn out to be a money saver for the insuring parties. But any hypothetical money saved by the Swedish insuring parties (direct or otherwise) from expediting mortality by way of relative neglect (via care rationing) won't result in the more profitable insured parties getting a financial break from these excessive deaths with the virus anytime soon (if ever).

The idea that herd immunity for this novel coronavirus was inevitable means nothing, as a lot of things that are inevitable don't put a stop to adverse developments in the interim. And it's still not clear for how long or how strongly any "natural" or artificially-enabled "immunity" lasts.

Really? I tried to go south this summer, but only got as far as Kolmarden. It appeared to me that the road ended there, so I just assumed that there was nothing left of Sweden south of Kolmarden ...
All those zoo- and Bamse-lovers were afraid of a snapphane revival trying to protect the land before and where it gets flat and boring in the south and the Swedish sounds funny or maybe even like Danish to those from the boonies closer to Visingso.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 8, 2020 at 4:59 am
Old Sep 8, 2020, 2:33 pm

What he means is probably that they won't have any lockdown. In March, many countries thought that a lockdown was the answer. When they opened up again, they saw the virus coming back in full force, and they realized that a lockdown doesn't solve the problem. It's only delaying the problem. As far as I know, no European country has returned to the same level of lockdown as they had in the spring, so in that sense they have adopted the Swedish way.

There have been many experts who have voiced similar opinions over the past couple of months. When New Zealand had their recent outbreak, there was a WHO expert who warned against a new lockdown and instead pointed to the Swedish model as an example to follow.
I disagree. No European country follows Sweden. In Sweden we don't wear masks. Germany, France - mask wearing on public transport, in schools, now even outside in some cities etc.
Sweden: 500 people in a gathering, UK is back to 30 imho etc.
Distance in Sweden: 1m, in other countries: > 1.5m- 2m.
Cannot see how EU countries follow the Swedish model.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

There's an article in SVD which is entitled, "Revenge: Today, everybody follow's Sweden's strategy." It's locked so I can only see the first few lines, but the Norwegian Dagbladet is quoting from the article under the headline "Everybody's doing like Sweden."

In the article, there are several international experts that claim that most European countries now follow the Swedish model. One of them is epidemiology professor Antoine Flauhalt from the University of Geneva: "Today, more or less all countries in Europe follow the method from the Swedish model, but nobody wants to admit it."

https://www.svd.se/revanschen--idag-...riges-strategi
https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/all...erige/72819297
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Sweden's infection rate is continuing its steep decline. Week 36 saw 126,000 people being tested, with only 1.2% positive tests.

Also, the number of people in intensive care in Sweden is now back to normal levels.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/i...te-tio-dagarna

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Which is why other countries report by tests or per persons, not per samples. Again this prove the point Sweden is under testing massively.
Could you tell me where you got the information that Sweden reports per samples and not per person?

In the above article, Johan Carlson said, "Under vecka 36 hade vi närmare 126 000 testade, och av dem var ändå bara 1,2 procent positiva." "Testade" means people that were tested. If he would've been talking about samples, he would've used the word "tester."
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by RedChili; Sep 9, 2020 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.