Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's straight-up creepy.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
My guess is you avoid this forum like the plague, but there's a very long thread about AirBnb in there...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...ce-airbnb.html
Not sure if this thread started in Budget Travel (I'm guessing no), but it's here now, and merged with much longer original thread.

~moderator
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by pinniped
The verification process is the main reason I won't use Airbnb.
The verification process is the main reason I do use Airbnb.
Without it I would never stay at unknown foreign homes, often in shady countries.

They obviously do not run background checks over IDs, but it stays there WHEN and IF something bad happens.

It feels waaay more safe than leaving your passport overnight at a tons of hotel's desks. Occurence quite common here in Europe.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:56 am

I was using AirBnb several times before verification, and found myself looking for a place in Prague.

Thought I was grandfathered in until I tried to book the place

Decided to scan my passport - it is not linked to any other personal data that has my financial data, so it it gets hacked, I'm not worried about having to scramble to notify banks @:-)
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
The verification process is the main reason I do use Airbnb.
Without it I would never stay at unknown foreign homes, often in shady countries.

They obviously do not run background checks over IDs, but it stays there WHEN and IF something bad happens.

It feels waaay more safe than leaving your passport overnight at a tons of hotel's desks. Occurence quite common here in Europe.
My question is - if someone in Russia or most any country, for that matter, scans their passport for verification, how can AirBnB confirm this is accurate? I can think of all sorts of ways this could be falsified.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pinniped, you realize there is a guest database that hosts have access to right? a guest review system, where they can see what all hosts have said about their guests. airbnb seems to be focused on hosts rather than guests.

but if their escrowing of funds works, that is nice.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Russia?

Originally Posted by WillTravel
My question is - if someone in Russia or most any country, for that matter, scans their passport for verification, how can AirBnB confirm this is accurate? I can think of all sorts of ways this could be falsified.
Have any of you actually used AirBnB?

IME, AirBnB authenticates for domestic stays (mine was in Jersey City) - but - not for int'l (I have had stays in Manila, Perth & Tokyo this year and none of them required me to authenticate using my passport).

My point is that authentication has more to do with reducing brand risk for AirBnB than verifying your identity or protecting your privacy! Russia? Good luck with that! Let me ask you a question : how do you reach AirBnB customer service folks if you have a problem in Russia?? When you find an answer, let me know!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:17 pm

I use AirBnB all the time, but so far only in the US and Canada. I have not had a compelling reason to use AirBnB overseas, particularly given the possibility for language and service issues.

ETA: So far, I've never been asked to provide my passport for verification.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel
I use AirBnB all the time, but so far only in the US and Canada. I have not had a compelling reason to use AirBnB overseas, particularly given the possibility for language and service issues.

ETA: So far, I've never been asked to provide my passport for verification.
IIRC the only time I used it overseas was in Prague, and the lady spoke pretty good English. I don't think Puerto Rico counts as overseas
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:44 am

I used it in France for a short trip 2 years ago and had a great time. Great location, awesome price. It's just a matter of vetting as much as possible. I try to look at hosts with more than 10+ reviews and references that you can talk to.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
I've used AirBnB 9 times so far for stays in the US, Canada, Germany and Australia. Only had to do an ID verification once for a stay in Hawaii (of course now my account is ID verified).

Never had any bad experiences, only amazing to pretty good ones. Apply common sense - the profile of the host, the reviews, how he/she communicates with you should give you a pretty good idea of how trustworthy he/she is.

I would use AirBnB anywhere as long as I have the feeling that I can trust the host. I know that I can't expect any immediate help from AirBnB in some places (but the same goes for most OTAs), but at least I will get my money back if something goes completely wrong.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by EmailKid
IIRC the only time I used it overseas was in Prague, and the lady spoke pretty good English. I don't think Puerto Rico counts as overseas
I'm booked for a place in Prague in July. I went with someone that had a LOT of reviews and most good. I'm very excited for this trip. I found the booking process pretty easy and I paid through Paypal.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Rebel54
I'm booked for a place in Prague in July.
Great place to visit ^

By July the crowds are rather thick Still a great place to see though.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:32 pm

I should clarify - of course there is no end of people overseas who speak good English. It's just that I have not found a compelling enough deal on AirBnB, while traveling overseas, to justify the difficulty of dealing with AirBnB should something go amiss. It feels a bit "riskier" to handle a problem overseas. Dodgy AirBnB options probably exist everywhere, but I particularly noticed when looking for Hong Kong (at a low price range, I should specify).
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Great place to visit ^

By July the crowds are rather thick Still a great place to see though.
This is my 4th or 5th trip. Husband's first. I can't wait to share it with him. We are right on Old Town Square so I'll be able to sneak out and enjoy some sights early and late without as many people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.