Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I think it's pretty typical to write to 5 or 10 hosts to get one workable AirBnB booking. I try to say "No thanks" in each case, but most people probably don't.
I never do that, as I consider it highly rude.
Hate to let hosts expect anything I'm likely not going to buy anyway and save mine and others time.

Airbnb hosts are always so quick IME that I just submit a dedicated short request to the apartment I actually like and in matter of minutes get approved.
After dozens of positive reviews as a guest I know there's no need to spam around.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Lifemiles Gold, COPA 1K, Hhonors Diamond, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by JohanSlam
I have a number of properties and use various media to market them. Obviously I looked at Airbnb as another alternative. However, I have dicovered something very sinister. I did not list the properties at the same time but one by one.

For each property I listed each time within 24 hours I had 2 potential clients who were very enthustic to rent the property. I engaged with them but there was no further contact. This did not happen just one time but more than five times. Even when I changed the listing and reposted it was the same; 2 new enquirers that did not complete. This reminds me of that dating site, that employed people to falsely engage with the posters.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? I am inclined to report the matter to the FTC!
Thanks for your very interesting comments and experiences.

I continue to find my experiences very sinister.

To improve understanding I will amplify my post.

Day one: Posted property no.1, 2 enquirers within 24 hours, no further enquieries in many weeks.

Day three: Posted property no.2, 2 enquieries within 24 hours, no further enquieries in many weeks.

And so on for each further property. I even delisted and posted again and the same thing happened. In all I had the same experience eight times.

I find this much more than a coincidence!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:54 am
Suspended

Anyone had a problem uploading ID to get verified? I'm having a hell of a time. After loading the ID and submitting, the site seems to get stuck in a perpetual state of verification. Not sure what the hell is going on with these guys.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:18 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
After loading the ID and submitting, the site seems to get stuck in a perpetual state of verification.
Try using a different browser. I've had some sites not support all browsers.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: ANA
I had a harder time getting ANA to scan my passport than AirBNB's ID verification.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by JohanSlam
Thanks for your very interesting comments and experiences.

I continue to find my experiences very sinister.

To improve understanding I will amplify my post.

Day one: Posted property no.1, 2 enquirers within 24 hours, no further enquieries in many weeks.

Day three: Posted property no.2, 2 enquieries within 24 hours, no further enquieries in many weeks.

And so on for each further property. I even delisted and posted again and the same thing happened. In all I had the same experience eight times.

I find this much more than a coincidence!
If these are new properties, with no reviews, AirBnB moves them to the bottom of the queue quickly, so they won't show up unless the user pages through all the other listings first. Perhaps when the property is first new, it appears near the top of the list (not sure, but your results suggest that). So nothing sinister other than likely computer algorithms at work.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
recent airbnb customer service experience

I am bumping this thread with more recent customer service experience....

I have had 6 airbnb stays - 3 of them unsatisfactory. This high ratio is unacceptable, and reflects the fact that airbnb country directors never inspect listings i.e. they rely on you & me to be the guinea pigs if things are not as promised.

The Resolution Center will issue a refund (minus airbnb's fees) - but - you must notify them within 24 h. Fair enough.

In my most recent unsatisfactory stay, I discovered a new problem. I notify the host I had a problem (req'd), there is no resolution so the issue goes to the Resolution Center. In the interim, I was asked to write a review - which I did (negative). The review goes first to the host! (NB this is clearly wrong). Next, the host filed a claim for a security deposit (?) against my credit card! Believe it or not, its written in their policies and procedures:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/search?q...olution+center

Of course, I objected - but the only scenario did not leave me with a warm and fuzzy feel!

More and more hosts have multiple listings and (I suspect) are gaming the system by trolling for guests who can't be bothered to reply in the time period specified (72 h). Its a quick way to get cash from unsuspecting tourists.

The bottom line? Buyer beware. Airbnb does not have your back, so you need to be incredibly vigilant.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: OnePass, Delta
I have quite a few ABnB stays, with no ratios approaching your experience. All of mine have been positive, for sure.

Sorry yours was not good. Maybe it is time to go back to hotels or B&B's or motels with brand names? Not sure, except to save money would be a major factor to go with ABnB.

As well, seeing there is little Corporate can do to initiate across the board 'quality' factors like a Marriott or Holiday Inn or Motel 7's, refund is about all to expect. I would think??

Good luck going forward.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am bumping this thread with more recent customer service experience....

I have had 6 airbnb stays - 3 of them unsatisfactory. This high ratio is unacceptable, and reflects the fact that airbnb country directors never inspect listings i.e. they rely on you & me to be the guinea pigs if things are not as promised.
OK, there are a couple misconceptions here. First of all there has never been a plan or a hint of an idea of Airbnb doing any sort of inspections. They have millions of listings. How could they possibly inspect them?

In my most recent unsatisfactory stay, I discovered a new problem. I notify the host I had a problem (req'd), there is no resolution so the issue goes to the Resolution Center. In the interim, I was asked to write a review - which I did (negative). The review goes first to the host! (NB this is clearly wrong). Next, the host filed a claim for a security deposit (?) against my credit card! Believe it or not, its written in their policies and procedures:
There are a few review boxes. Your general review does not go first to the host. It is published publicly for anyone to see when they examine that listing. Then there is a private review you can send to the host. And a private review you can send to Airbnb only. This is the main thing that Airbnb gets right. You as a shopper can look at all the previous reviews before you book your stay. If there are mostly bad reviews or no reviews, you are taking a risk. Caveat Emptor!

Airbnb does have a resolution process and from my perspective it favors the guest. I'm sure they are doing the best they can to get it right, but the big problem for everyone, as I noted above, is that Airbnb is only concerned with profits. They don't mind robbing hosts to favor guests or robbing guests to favor the host, but they will never shill out a nickel of their own money to make things right.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bo1953
I have quite a few ABnB stays, with no ratios approaching your experience. All of mine have been positive, for sure.

Sorry yours was not good. Maybe it is time to go back to hotels or B&B's or motels with brand names? Not sure, except to save money would be a major factor to go with ABnB.

As well, seeing there is little Corporate can do to initiate across the board 'quality' factors like a Marriott or Holiday Inn or Motel 7's, refund is about all to expect. I would think??

Good luck going forward.
There's no question that Airbnb stays are significantly riskier than other lodging reservations. I'd never stay at one without significant reviews. You can't expect inidividuals renting rooms or houses to be at the same "predictability" level as real lodging businesses.

I'd also note that Airbnb tends to be the MOST expensive booking option for properties that use multiple platforms. They also don't provide cashback. I've been staying at a few Airbnbs using the half-off gift cards from last Xmas's AMEX promo. But once I'm done with that, I'm almost certain I'll be done with Airbnb.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:43 pm

I guess it all depends on your basis for comparison. Prior to Airbnb, my wife and I relied on local apartment rental websites that provided next to no protection (Eg. Abritel in France), where you sent a PayPal deposit ahead of time, with absolutely no way of knowing for sure it wasn't a scam!

We did that without incident about 8 or 9 times, but each time there was always the slight fear that maybe this time it wouldn't work out. So when Airbnb came around, despite its flaws, it gave the peace of mind that the other sites couldn't offer.

It's not perfect, and ya, there's some bad experiences. But it always beats a hotel in my books.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
I'm new to airbnb and looking to use it for the first time for three different stays in May.
Seems to me booking anything with no reviews is riskier and that you need to read the reviews and at times read between the lines to understand what the host is like.

One property had an ideal location at one of my stops but had few reviews and the host profile didn't make me comfortable so I picked another a $7 Uber away instead.

All of my stays are for rooms rather than entire properties and for one night only. If any don't "feel right" then I'll cut my losses and priceline etc and leave . (Trip is to IL and MI so no shortage of chain hotels to priceline)

I'm regarding it as an interesting experiment . I tend to seek out local experiences when I travel anyway rather than stay within the sterility of a big box hotel environment so I may just be their target market
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Good recent experiences

I decided to bite the bullet and try AirBNB for two recent trips, one a two week stay in Barcelona and the other a two day stay in Vancouver. Both were very positive experiences.

But I only picked properties with Superhost ratings on AirBNB and with many reviews. I don't think I'd try something without that.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Airbnb updates its T's and C's

See here. https://www.airbnb.com/home/terms-of-service-event

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
We further clarified our existing relationship with customers, including that hosts on our platform are independent third party contractors.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by stimpy
See here. https://www.airbnb.com/home/terms-of-service-event

I'm not sure how I feel about this one.
We further clarified our existing relationship with customers, including that hosts on our platform are independent third party contractors.
I have to admit that I didn't read the terms of service before I used AirBNB. But I already assumed the hosts were independent contractors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.