Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I didn't read the entire thread save the OP's question. I've been both a host and a guest. and have had nothing but great experiences... I would not hesitate to use Airbnb (I know, it sounds like a review, which it is). It's all about doing your due diligence in reading the reviews, finding trustworthy hosts, or at least hosts you feel comfortable with. If there are too many red flags (vague descriptions, no/unclear profile picture, etc.) then trust your gut.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:14 pm

My 2 experiences with Airbnb have been great - both times in Hong Kong. Good luck
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by fly2much4work
My 2 experiences with Airbnb have been great - both times in Hong Kong. Good luck
Great to hear and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Lifemiles Gold, COPA 1K, Hhonors Diamond, Carlson Gold
Thumbs down Airbnb - a scam?

I have a number of properties and use various media to market them. Obviously I looked at Airbnb as another alternative. However, I have dicovered something very sinister. I did not list the properties at the same time but one by one.

For each property I listed each time within 24 hours I had 2 potential clients who were very enthustic to rent the property. I engaged with them but there was no further contact. This did not happen just one time but more than five times. Even when I changed the listing and reposted it was the same; 2 new enquirers that did not complete. This reminds me of that dating site, that employed people to falsely engage with the posters.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? I am inclined to report the matter to the FTC!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
I do not think it sinister at all... I personally have used ABnB on several occasions and subsequently have not used several of the places I enquired into for various reasons.

When dealing with the public for such commodities as air, auto, hotels and other public accommodations, many make inquiries and go no further or book and no show for whatever reason(s) known or unknown.

To make a complaint to the FTC due to customer fickleness or even if it is a test by ABnB (which I would think they would disclose in due course) would be for naught, as you can withdraw your listings from the site if dissatisfied.

What are the TOS's concerning customers and etc.???

Have you not had similar experiences with your current sources of marketing?

Good Luck...

FWIW...
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:04 pm

My guess is they are trying to sell you something or scam you. The typical give away is a generic name and/or an email address (pls. contact me at...). It may even be automated. It's not AirBnB doing it.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've often made inquiries of a few different Airbnb listings at the same time, picked one and gone silent on the others.

I don't think there's anything fishy going on.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Airbnb - a scam?

I'm an Airbnb host for the last four years, many times a guest will just copy and paste a general inquiry to a bunch of properties and if you don't respond quickly enough that's the end of that!

Don't be so quick to jump to wild conclusions
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I'm an Airbnb host for the last four years, many times a guest will just copy and paste a general inquiry to a bunch of properties and if you don't respond quickly enough that's the end of that!

Don't be so quick to jump to wild conclusions
I was an AirBnB host for six years and found AirBnB very professional to deal with.

As a potential guest their website encourages you to make multiple applications for your chosen destination. Many hosts do not update their calendars for availability or are tardy about replying so this works out all round.

I agree with other posters - chill
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:12 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This is normal in any business. Many people go to the car dealership and don't buy a car, or go to a store and don't buy anything, or go to an airline's website and start a booking but don't finish it.

Since your listing is new, people will be more cautious. Once you have some reviews, it will improve. AirBnB doesn't make money from contacts, only completed bookings, so they have no reason to do this. Unlike with a dating site, it would annoy customers rather than encourage them.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
many times a guest will just copy and paste a general inquiry to a bunch of properties and if you don't respond quickly enough that's the end of that!
As an AirbnB guest, I can tell you we don't copy & paste the inquiries...........the AirBnB site does it for me!

Why complain to the FTC? What about AirBnB customer service? They have all the meta data, and can identify trends.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:33 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator action: There is a longstanding discussion of AirBnB in the Budget Travel forum.
It is found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...ce-airbnb.html

I will request that the Budget Travel Moderators place the thread where they think it best fits.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:37 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
And now merged into existing thread.

~moderator
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:08 pm

I think it's pretty typical to write to 5 or 10 hosts to get one workable AirBnB booking. I try to say "No thanks" in each case, but most people probably don't.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by JohanSlam

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena? I am inclined to report the matter to the FTC!
Did not experience that myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.