Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Any host who depends on AirBnb for income is bound to be disappointed. The fees you pay are substantial (3 %). I agree they are growing quickly, but what is your evidence they are "massively wealthy"? As a private for profit company, Airbnb is not req'd to provide SEC-standard financial statements. Recently, they delayed their IPO to pursue venture capital for expansion:

http://moneymorning.com/2015/06/19/a...ion-valuation/
I live in Japan and I know a few people who do AirBnb - they all basically make a ton of money (they can rent apartments for $700 and get a total of $2400 a month of off it).

There are good and bad AirBnb hosts out there (same as guests - I've heard tons of stories). The challenge is avoiding the bad ones.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:56 am

I used to use Airbnb years ago when it first started. It was much better then. Today, people think their homes are worth too much. I can rent a nice hotel cheaper than many rooms in a house. I rarely find them up to my expectation. Many owners are very good with communication. I always send an email first before booking. If I don't hear from them, I don't book.

My biggest complaint is the service charge Airbnb now charges. I cancelled a reservation 3 days in advance which was no problem for the owner. They didn't charge a fee, but Airbnb sure did! it was close to $6.00 USD!! Seriously? what a ripoff! I won't use them again. My plans change too often!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by hot2trot
My biggest complaint is the service charge Airbnb now charges. I cancelled a reservation 3 days in advance which was no problem for the owner. They didn't charge a fee, but Airbnb sure did! it was close to $6.00 USD!! Seriously? what a ripoff! I won't use them again. My plans change too often!
Assuming you mean $60.00...

I had a similar experience but ended up keeping the place. Found out that Airbnb charges both the owner and the renter!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
What you folks think is appropriate to do in case of two consecutive stays?
I was the guest, and due a recent Lufthansa strike I booked one night more at the same apartment I did spend my previous 2 weeks.

I didn't settle it by cash to provide an actual reservation for the LH refund.

Initially I thought nothing wrong to submit another (clearly positive) review to my host, but then considering it again 2 reviews in a row in may possibly look fishy for his profile, and last thing I want is to harm somehow him.

Quite undecided.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:46 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Initially I thought nothing wrong to submit another (clearly positive) review to my host, but then considering it again 2 reviews in a row in may possibly look fishy for his profile, and last thing I want is to harm somehow him.
I'd leave it, you'd probably just repeat yourself and it may look fishy.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Anyone used AirBnb?

Am trying to book a place for a month, was advices to use AirBnb. Found a place but the owner wants a verification. So I look and the verification that the site wants is either a driver's license or passport. Am not comfortable with providing either. With all this hacking am not comfortable. I tried covering up the essential info in my license but it didn't work.

Had anyone used the site and did you provide the info. If you used it, how did you manage without providing essential info? I rarely buy on the net and when I do, I normally use one CC for anything that I buy.
Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My guess is you avoid this forum like the plague, but there's a very long thread about AirBnb in there...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budge...ce-airbnb.html
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you are providing the info to the AirBNB company, I think I'd be okay with doing that since they would be the ones maintaining the info, sort of like hotel management asking for this upon checkin, which is pretty standard. Providing it to the individual owner I'd be more hesitant about.

AirBNB is big enough and has been around long enough I think it's ok.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Anyone used AirBnb?

Thank you for the link, will check it out.

Doc, with all the hacking and ID theft going on, am not comfy giving my official ID to the internet. Tried covering up the important info but it didn't work.
Any other ideas?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

verification may keep me from using it

if they really 'escrow' funds, i might explore it further
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It may well be that they will require some sort of verifiable ID to do business with you, especially for a large transaction like a month's rent. You could try calling the company and discussing this requirement or giving them your drivers license number verbally. It may be that you and the company won't be able to do business if you don't mutually agree.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Is your concern with the computer technology used to transmit and store the data, or do you object to giving it in any form, electronic or otherwise?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Is your concern with the computer technology used to transmit and store the data, or do you object to giving it in any form, electronic or otherwise?
I just don't like to give my data out. With all this hacking going on, I worry that my info might be used.

Though I think I managed to answer some questions and I think it might work out. Now figuring out the payment.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I just don't like to give my data out. With all this hacking going on, I worry that my info might be used.

Though I think I managed to answer some questions and I think it might work out. Now figuring out the payment.
Don't pay the owner directly, especially by Western Union or a direct (wire) money transfer; you have more protections if you go through AirBnB and use a credit card.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A freind was going to go and pay him for me.

Maybe I should just go through corporate housing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.