Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by myassesdragon
because I don't have any "online presence". I don't have a smart phone. I don't Skype. I don't Tweet. I'm not on Facebook. I'm retired so I'm not on LinkedIn. I don't have a GPS because I actually use a paper map! Oh, and I was not willing to give up my Delta PRN, DOB or SS # either. So it's hostels and the KOA for this old fogey.
AFAIK an e-mail address is all you need to sign up.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ritesa
AFAIK an e-mail address is all you need to sign up.
That could be, but you have to put in a scan of some sort of ID before you can make first booking.

It's not as easy as it used to be.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by myassesdragon
because I don't have any "online presence". I don't have a smart phone. I don't Skype. I don't Tweet. I'm not on Facebook. I'm retired so I'm not on LinkedIn. I don't have a GPS because I actually use a paper map! Oh, and I was not willing to give up my Delta PRN, DOB or SS # either. So it's hostels and the KOA for this old fogey.
If you are going to rent an apartment, you need to put down your SS# and a copy of your ID, right? Otherwise the landlord won't trust you. I would not let my Airbnb to someone who isn't verified just as I wouldn't rent an apartment to someone with no credentials.

Airbnb prefers that you have an online presence, but otherwise will accept other forms of ID. I don't use Facebook either, but I went through other steps to get verified. It took a bit of effort on my end and a phone call to Airbnb, but I eventually sorted it out.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:28 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
If you are going to rent an apartment, you need to put down your SS# and a copy of your ID, right?
Pretty darn sure SS is off limits to all but banks and CC companies.

I've had an account for a long time, but did have to add some sort of ID when I rented a place in Prague.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Pretty darn sure SS is off limits to all but banks and CC companies.
It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure I had to submit it on every rental I made in California. Maybe other states have different rules.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sounds like i will never use airbnb, but i might try contacting owner of listing about rental
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
sounds like i will never use airbnb, but i might try contacting owner of listing about rental
Ah, there's the rub. How would you contact the owner of the rental?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Ah, there's the rub. How would you contact the owner of the rental?
sometimes its really easy

many (not you) dont seem to be aware of what one can find on internet

separately, there are also some agencies/brokers/etc on airbnb now
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sometimes its really easy

many (not you) dont seem to be aware of what one can find on internet
Sometimes it can be easy if you look around and the owner has a good online presence. But not always and of course Airbnb blocks free access to the owner until you've booked.

In my case the guests cannot reach me by any other interface and I like it that way. There's too many young scammers out there.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doesnt even need an online footprint - im just saying it can be done, not how often

i presume you have examined your photos and location information, but few do

if airbnb was first you have used, im even more impressed with their business model
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by lili
My one experience with AAirBnB was last March Milan 1br was super. I would do that again anytime. Previously I'd used VRBO quite successfully for a 2 br on Ile St Louis in Paris. You just have to read carefully and communicate with the people.

Am now looking for something in Tokyo for the fall, but don't see anything appealing. Hotel prices being what they are, some of those mini-rooms may become more appealing.
I looked for rental space in Tokyo, seeking somewhere as central as possible, and found it was difficult to come up with anything I liked. In the end I booked an apartment at Court Annex in Roppongi. Minimum let is one week and it turned out to be a real find. We stayed there for a second visit with friends who took a studio as a second bedroom and we used our living room and separate bedroom as our base. Search on Asahi Homes, Court Annex
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doesnt even need an online footprint - im just saying it can be done, not how often

i presume you have examined your photos and location information, but few do

if airbnb was first you have used, im even more impressed with their business model
In my case, there's simply no way you could find my phone number or email. You have to go through Airbnb. Yes it would be easier to communicate through traditional methods, but as a host I do not want that. I let Airbnb take the risk. I don't have the time nor inclination to deal with scammers.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:55 pm

If anyone has any recommendations for Rome and/or Paris for locations to stay at, I would greatly appreciate them! I plan to travel in mid-August, so i want to get some idea on where to stay. I've seen a few posts with positive experiences in both cities, but nothing too specific in regards to where to book and the like.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
If anyone has any recommendations for Rome and/or Paris for locations to stay at, I would greatly appreciate them! I plan to travel in mid-August, so i want to get some idea on where to stay. I've seen a few posts with positive experiences in both cities, but nothing too specific in regards to where to book and the like.
Depends to some extent what you're looking for... shared room or whole residence?

I can recommend a charming place in Paris that I actually found through Tripadvisor... phenomenal bang for the buck (meaning you can find cheaper places and posher places, but it's not easy to find one that's both) in a fantastic neighbourhood. Cost about $150 a night for the whole residence. Owner is very hospitable, pleasant and professional.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/VacationRe...de_France.html

http://www.canal-apartment-paris.com/

I really found Paris to have an embarrassment of riches when it came to Airbnb/VRBO rentals. If you don't care for this one, there are hundreds if not thousands of other good choices! Good luck.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Depends to some extent what you're looking for... shared room or whole residence?

I can recommend a charming place in Paris that I actually found through Tripadvisor... phenomenal bang for the buck (meaning you can find cheaper places and posher places, but it's not easy to find one that's both) in a fantastic neighbourhood. Cost about $150 a night for the whole residence. Owner is very hospitable, pleasant and professional.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/VacationRe...de_France.html

http://www.canal-apartment-paris.com/

I really found Paris to have an embarrassment of riches when it came to Airbnb/VRBO rentals. If you don't care for this one, there are hundreds if not thousands of other good choices! Good luck.
Thanks so much. I am a single traveler on a budget (250-300 for four days), so I am looking for just a room, not an entire apartment. (Isn't it illegal to rent a whole unit in Paris through airbnb and the like?). I will have to pass on the specific location, but I will be using tripadvisor to look for locations where to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.