Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I had a headache on a recent airbnb stay in IAH.

Given that I was travelling with my toddler son, I texted the day before to find out if I could get into the room a bit early to drop my stuff, give the little guy some time out of his car seat, etc. Couldn't do it because there was someone in the suite. Fair enough.

I showed up at the appointed time - literally at the suite's door, suitcases in hand - only to get a call from the owner saying that the previous tenant hasn't vacated yet and there was still time needed to clean it. So I basically had to scramble to accommodate this F-cluster. I don't hold the owner responsible for the overstay, but I was pretty ticked that she failed to notify me especially given that she knew I was likely coming early in the day. And to top it off the suite was only given a halfassed cleaning (obviously a rush job).

For what it's worth the suite itself was great and was excellent value, but I was not too impressed with how the arrival played out. It was a good reminder that these places aren't hotels and if there is any problem then you are stuck holding the bag... it's not like the Hyatt where they can put you in one of their other 800 rooms. It'll certainly give me pause for the next time I'm looking at booking. I'll do airbnb again but I have a better understanding of at least one of its shortcomings now.

My other previous experiences with vacation rentals/rental by owner have been 100% positive.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I had a headache on a recent airbnb stay in IAH.

Given that I was travelling with my toddler son, I texted the day before to find out if I could get into the room a bit early to drop my stuff, give the little guy some time out of his car seat, etc. Couldn't do it because there was someone in the suite. Fair enough.

I showed up at the appointed time - literally at the suite's door, suitcases in hand - only to get a call from the owner saying that the previous tenant hasn't vacated yet and there was still time needed to clean it. So I basically had to scramble to accommodate this F-cluster. I don't hold the owner responsible for the overstay, but I was pretty ticked that she failed to notify me especially given that she knew I was likely coming early in the day. And to top it off the suite was only given a halfassed cleaning (obviously a rush job).

For what it's worth the suite itself was great and was excellent value, but I was not too impressed with how the arrival played out. It was a good reminder that these places aren't hotels and if there is any problem then you are stuck holding the bag... it's not like the Hyatt where they can put you in one of their other 800 rooms. It'll certainly give me pause for the next time I'm looking at booking. I'll do airbnb again but I have a better understanding of at least one of its shortcomings now.

My other previous experiences with vacation rentals/rental by owner have been 100% positive.
Not that it mattered at the time it happened, but doesn't that qualify for a partial refund from AirBnB?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:02 pm

I've been considering doing AirBnB for my upcoming trip to Copenhagen. Anyone have experience there?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:25 am

I've been considering doing AirBnB for my upcoming trip to Copenhagen. Anyone have experience there?
CPH hotels are expensive and AirBnB can be good value. We stayed with this guy. It's not downtown but the public transport system is good and cheap or buy a Copenhagen Card.

There is one low cost hotel option I've used that is downtown but it depends when you book. Wakeup is near the central station and if you're lucky with dates you can get a room for non-Danish prices.

BTW - the station is a cool building and you may even get to see this
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:38 pm

I haven't used airBnB but several friends have had a great experience. It seems like this is one of those things that might seem strange, but will eventually become very widely accepted. It's definitely the cheaper option most of the time.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:44 pm

I did my first airbnb stays in Oct. 2014, Loved it! I am not a hotel person, but it is more to do with OCD (not throwing that around lightly) but I felt ok with all of my host and their homes. Two were a bit inconvenient as far as travel but I do not regret it and can't wait to go back.

Originally Posted by CheatingTravel

With the Wife in Japan:

Tokyo - Best Trip Ever. The hosts were just like us, hard working 'regular' folk, who lived in Shinju-ku (Tokyo) - which itself was a cool part of Tokyo. The SUPER Value came from A) being near the Trains B) Getting a Free/included Portable WiFi which was incredible C) getting Free dinner and or breakfast EVERY Day - in a place where dining out is kind of expensive and D) Advice... Just like having an in house concierge. They joined us out a couple of times, told us what we were getting into when we asked about lines / costs / crowds of ANY given thing, anywhere. They were AirBnB Super Hosts tho ($99 a night, during Cherry Blossom Season)
* - We lost some luggage presumably at their place... they couldnt find it, and when we got home, they had already sent us a box of stuff we said we lost (magnets, shot glass and snacks from different cities).

I have been looking into visiting Tokyo, but did not know where to start. So far, I have put my trip on hold but may get the ball rolling again. Would you mind sharing your host's airbnb page (via pm -that is of course, if they are ok with it as well)?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Stayed at a hotel / hostel last year, $60 or so IIRC.

No ensuite shower, but it was right across the hallway, so was OK with that.

Thought that was a decent price for a Tokyo room. Booked via Agoda or Booking.com, don't recall which one.

Oh, and very clean place.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Any recommendation for Singapore? Need to put a family of 5.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by farci
CPH hotels are expensive and AirBnB can be good value. We stayed with this guy. It's not downtown but the public transport system is good and cheap or buy a Copenhagen Card.

There is one low cost hotel option I've used that is downtown but it depends when you book. Wakeup is near the central station and if you're lucky with dates you can get a room for non-Danish prices.

BTW - the station is a cool building and you may even get to see this
Thanks for the tips! I'll search around. Still have a few months until my trip
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:14 pm

Stayed in Airbnb all through Europe from Amerstdam, Rome, Bordeaux, Barcelona, and Paris and I had nothing but awesome experiences even smoked hung out with my hosts and smoked a joint with my host in Amsterdam at a coffee shop. It was great would rather stay airbnb than hostels!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer, Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, Virgin Australia Velocity
I have an Airbnb booked in the next few weeks in Hollywood. First time trying it! My host seems to be big on the concept, she has around 5-10 properties being hosted out (which is handy because there was an issue with my booking, so she moved me to another, better apartment!).

Will see how it goes and report back in the next few weeks.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:58 pm

This past summer i spend 5 weeks travelling across Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and Maldives. In each country I used AirBnb at least once and every single time it was well worth it. Just make sure to stay at places with prior reviews and you should be golden.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:36 am

I have used airbnb few times and never had a problem. I also use VRBO from time to time with some good result especially in Cancun!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan
i have used Airbnb in New York city, Vancouver, Montreal and loved it. I have rented luxury condos with tons of amenities and killer views that I wouldnt afford otherwise. the one thing you have to be consider is the arrival/departure times and the luggage (you just cant store your luggage like in a hotel)
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I've usually just used AirBnB for cottage rentals and it's been amazing. All the places i've stayed at has been well reviewed, the worst part is that sometimes the host doesn't respond in time or is slow. They've got this new "instant booking" feature which is neat that i haven't tried yet, i guess it's to compete with hotels so that you don't have to wait to find out if you have a place.. Anyone use the instant thing regularly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.