Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Cdn42, you are well down the road of self-rationalizing your actions. When someone doesn't know what they are doing may be affecting others adversely and is illegal, they have some excuse. When someone KNOWS what they are doing is illegal and then continue to contribute to the continuance of a problem that is affecting others adversely, there is NO excuse for their behaviour.
What is this "affect others adversely" that you are referring to? Of course those who rent on AirBnB and then create a disturbance to neighbors have no excuse for their behavior. Are you saying that everyone else who uses the site is responsible for this as well?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I think basically what is being said is that Air BnB is a greater threat to civilisation as we know it than ISIS is.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:27 am
Suspended

If AirBnB knowingly lists illegal rentals and knowingly lists illegal rentals where neighbours have reported that they are illegal and not welcomed, then AirBnB knowingly affects those people adversely by allowing the listings.

If you support AirBnB by using their service YOU are then contributing to the outcome. If someone offers to sell you a brand new TV off the back of a truck, YOU are then aiding and abetting the thief if you buy it, are you not?

If you are determined to self-justify taking part in something illegal or that adversely affects others cdn42, you will find a way to justify it no matter what questions you ask me or what answer I give you.

Badger Boi, are you a youngster under 16 or so? I ask because your comment sounds like something a kid would say.

Trying to suggest that I am saying AirBnB is worse than ISIS is a pathetically shallow comment not worthy of an adult.

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...risky-neighbor

http://mesoscope.wordpress.com/2012/...bad-neighbors/

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 1, 2014 at 5:28 pm Reason: Back to back posts on same subject
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:17 pm

I have tried to hire a apartment.
The prices were there on the 2015 calender.
The agent told me that he doesn't take any reservations so far in the future.
Suddenly I have to verify my acount.
I have no facebook , g-mail I don't use it often and so on.
They have my cc,e-mail ,telephone number.
They asked me to upload a video of myself so I tried it for 1 hour but it doesn't work.
I don't know what to do else but I'm not happy with airbnb at this moment.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Badger Boi, are you a youngster under 16 or so? I ask because your comment sounds like something a kid would say.

Trying to suggest that I am saying AirBnB is worse than ISIS is a pathetically shallow comment not worthy of an adult.
Dulcie your views on Airbnb are extreme to the point of being ridiculous.

You need to learn to play the ball, not the player - comments such as "neener neener, you are SO immature" aimed at others, or calling people obtuse because you don't understand or agree with their views, belong in a schoolyard, but on FT will get a thread closed down or moved to OMNI.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Nov 1, 2014 at 4:29 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I had experience using airbnb at Peurto Rico and it was fantastic given most of the hotels at Peurto Rico are over-priced
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by 21x2
I have tried to hire a apartment.
The prices were there on the 2015 calender.
The agent told me that he doesn't take any reservations so far in the future.
Suddenly I have to verify my acount.
I have no facebook , g-mail I don't use it often and so on.
They have my cc,e-mail ,telephone number.
They asked me to upload a video of myself so I tried it for 1 hour but it doesn't work.
I don't know what to do else but I'm not happy with airbnb at this moment.
I'm very happy that you have to be verified. There are too many people trying to get something for nothing or gaming the system, or just want to trash someone's apartment. If you are legit, keep trying. I also don't use facebook and it was a bit difficult to get verified, but eventually I got it done. If you have an iPhone or Android you should be able to upload a simple short video of yourself. I had to do that myself.

I just had a kid who wanted to rent my place for a week, but he said he wants to pay me directly and not Airbnb. His photo looks like he is 16. No way Jose!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:37 am

Yes I'll keep to try it again and thank you for the iphone option.

But I really don't know how you can upload it to the airbnb site.
The airbnb site asked for video directly by there system and that doesn't work.

The host sent me a approval by the airbnb site and I just could make a reservation.
However clicking the button airbnb still asked for the verification.

I have called aibnb and now I have to wait until they contact me again.
I'm not happy with this.

Last edited by 21x2; Nov 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Heraclitus, to ask, "but what am I supposed to do... pass up deals like that?", as a serious question surely doesn't need an answer. If you know something is illegal and that it is causing problems for people and that the site you are using knows it is causing problems but refuses to vet the 'hosts', then ethically, it is your responsibility to insure that what you rent is a legal rental.

Tell me under what circumstances you think it is OK to do something that is illegal and affects other people adversely?
The laws of economics demand that I use the better service at the lower price.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by 21x2
Yes I'll keep to try it again and thank you for the iphone option.

But I really don't know how you can upload it to the airbnb site.
The airbnb site asked for video directly by there system and that doesn't work.

The host sent me a approval by the airbnb site and I just could make a reservation.
However clicking the button airbnb still asked for the verification.

I have called aibnb and now I have to wait until they contact me again.
I'm not happy with this.
I had the exact same issue. What I wound up doing is making my own 3 minute video on my smart phone, showing all of my ID and where I live. I then e-mailed the video to Airbnb and got verified that way.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:17 am

Thank you goteed1

I called airbnb and I must say they were very friendly.
I'll think at least one video has been uploaded well.
After a good conversation with a lot off security checks they informed the security department.
After 30 min my status has been verified also the host gave me a pre aproval.

So far so good.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I was in Prague, with an older pre-ID requirement, and my Dublin reservation was OK.

But, for new Prague booking it would not let me reserve without an ID

Luckily I have a scan of my passport in my email, so was able to download the attachment to the desktop and uploaded from there.

Voila, reservation confirmed two minutes later
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:14 pm

I've used AirBnB Numerous times since their inception across multiple countries.

As a solo Traveler: Super Cheap but small bedroom in a small apartment in London Proper. close to everything, $50 ish US a night. Got a beer with the Host, good 1st experience.

Liverpool: Very nice private room and i think private shower, with toiletries and tea/coffee and snacks with bottled water included. $49 for the one night, but there was a full day of cool stuff to see/do in Liverpool, and I needed it for a connecting flight to Dublin for $25.

Dublin: Very average to 'could use some decor tips' bedroom in a house with 3 other dudes. Same price, but it was in the heart of Dublin.
- Bonus - Going out with a local and his friends (owner /roommates, 2 of non-Irish decent) was MUCH More fun than going to a bar solo. Maybe I'm not the best Solo-Bar-hopper but this experience made up for the lackluster bedroom... which was only used for sleeping anyways.

- - -

With the Wife in Japan:

Tokyo - Best Trip Ever. The hosts were just like us, hard working 'regular' folk, who lived in Shinju-ku (Tokyo) - which itself was a cool part of Tokyo. The SUPER Value came from A) being near the Trains B) Getting a Free/included Portable WiFi which was incredible C) getting Free dinner and or breakfast EVERY Day - in a place where dining out is kind of expensive and D) Advice... Just like having an in house concierge. They joined us out a couple of times, told us what we were getting into when we asked about lines / costs / crowds of ANY given thing, anywhere. They were AirBnB Super Hosts tho ($99 a night, during Cherry Blossom Season)
* - We lost some luggage presumably at their place... they couldnt find it, and when we got home, they had already sent us a box of stuff we said we lost (magnets, shot glass and snacks from different cities).

Osaka - Had a small apartment with a nice bathroom and kitchen. We used the kitchen to make an AMAZING $30 Kobe Beef steak dinner... twice. It was incredible.

California Coast - Great options for doing the 'Redwoods Hikes' or 'Trip down the Coastal highway. Did one in Oregon that was $99, but that one included a bottle of wine, a master bed with an attached outdoor jacuzzi and a view of the Damn ocean. The CA ones were just regular houses for $39 short notice.

I have yet to have a bad experience. All you have to do is 'read' into the personality of your host and their reviews.

TLR - AirBnB is great.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
2014 AirBnB Recap

Seven AirBnB stays in 2014.
  1. An apartment in Cozumel in January.
  2. A cottage in Ojai in April.
  3. A shared brownstone flat in Park Slope in June.
  4. France, August. Paris Latin Quarter studio.
  5. France, August. Chartres cottage.
  6. France, August. Amboise cave apartment.
  7. France, August. Paris Montmarte studio.

The Latin Quarter apartment had a futon instead of a regular bed, otherwise I would characterize all the places as ideal (for the price). We are not really hotel people, though, as the experience can be isolating. AirBnB suits us well, YMMV.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:02 am

Be a traveller not a tourist

Let me give you a perspective from the host's point of view. We were amongst the first 500 AirBnB properties and I think the first in Glasgow, Scotland.

Over that period we have only had one dissatisfied client - whom we compensated - as we we did not meet her expectations. She failed to read the honest description of the house and area. It seems that being five minutes by train (3km) from the city centre did not qualify as central in her book.

Overwhelmingly, satisfied clients responded to the personal approach we tried to bring - local information, a glass of wine, take the dog for a walk if you like etc. If you want the anonymity of hotels, don't use AirBnB. These are people's homes with the same quirks as your own place; the range of breakfast items may not meet your expectations, you (horror) may encounter 'locals' and not just fellow visitors.

As I said, if you are a 'traveller' not a 'tourist' AND you read the host's description carefully plus previous guest reviews you will, on balance, have a great time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.