Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
An interesting twist:
John and Ed were approaching Black Rock desert on the way to Burning Man when the email arrived from a friend. “Thanks for letting us stay in your apartment this weekend!”

John looked at his husband in confusion. There must be some mistake – they had left their San Francisco apartment with their professional housesitter.

“No, it’s definitely your house – your car, your wedding photos, your cats,” said his friend. “We found it on Airbnb.”
The full article:
The Guardian: San Francisco housesitter rents out someone else's apartment on Airbnb (September 17, 2015)
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:17 am

I would not recommend Airbnb. They have gotten too expensive. I ALWAYS check hotels first! People have gotten very greedy on Airbnb and I think they price their personal spaces way too much! They don't operate like a hotel, the cleanliness isn't as good. Sometimes you get lucky, but if you have to cancel, Airbnb charges you a service charge! Who does that? Not hotels!

I stopped using them. I was very disappointed in the places I stayed in Spain. None of them were anywhere near the city centers - they are residential properties, yes, some of the hosts were nice, but some of the spaces were in need of a serious cleaning and I was not comfortable staying there. Good thing it was only 1 night!

Check out hotel prices first.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:09 am

Unhappy warning on security deposits

Airbnb has a 5 page user agreement that we all gloss over and check. Most Hosts are now asking for security deposits. We just had a lovely stay in NYC. When we got home our Host asked for our security deposits saying we had damaged a chair. We never even sat in the chair. Airbnb believed her even though I wrote a detailed description of my stay and denied ever even sitting in the chair. Long story short. They sided with her ( they always side with the host) and she got my $1000. deposit. Thats right,$1000. I signed but the way Airbnb handled it and would not listen to my side of the story is infuriating. I am out a grand , she gets my money and there is apparently nothing I can do
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by David Berlin
Airbnb has a 5 page user agreement that we all gloss over and check. Most Hosts are now asking for security deposits. We just had a lovely stay in NYC. When we got home our Host asked for our security deposits saying we had damaged a chair. We never even sat in the chair. Airbnb believed her even though I wrote a detailed description of my stay and denied ever even sitting in the chair. Long story short. They sided with her ( they always side with the host) and she got my $1000. deposit. Thats right,$1000. I signed but the way Airbnb handled it and would not listen to my side of the story is infuriating. I am out a grand , she gets my money and there is apparently nothing I can do
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Um, yeah, you must do your due diligence--check the maps, read the reviews. Any disappointments I've had have been from issues mentioned in reviews. It takes time, but it's time well-spent.

Many hotels' cheapest rates are non-refundable, or the first night is payable if you cancel late.

Given Spain's current cheap hotel rates I would start by researching hotels if I were staying there. Other places you can definitely do better renting an apartment.

Originally Posted by hot2trot
I would not recommend Airbnb. They have gotten too expensive. I ALWAYS check hotels first! People have gotten very greedy on Airbnb and I think they price their personal spaces way too much! They don't operate like a hotel, the cleanliness isn't as good. Sometimes you get lucky, but if you have to cancel, Airbnb charges you a service charge! Who does that? Not hotels!

I stopped using them. I was very disappointed in the places I stayed in Spain. None of them were anywhere near the city centers - they are residential properties, yes, some of the hosts were nice, but some of the spaces were in need of a serious cleaning and I was not comfortable staying there. Good thing it was only 1 night!

Check out hotel prices first.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:42 pm

This might be worth a credit card chargeback.

That would make me very nervous. Sounds pretty similar to some shady car-rental damage claims.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked my first stay with Airbnb -- only because there is a $50 rebate offer from AMEX right now (see FrequentMiler's blog for the details). I stay in a lot of unusual places, so the site would naturally have some appeal to me. But it doesn't because they charge all these fees and it would seem better to arrange accommodations another way.

In this case, I booked a b&b in Chile I was thinking of staying in anyway. The posted price on Airbnb was the same as what I could otherwise get, but Airbnb tacked on an additional $21 booking fee. That was OK because I used a $20 new member referral credit, and the AMEX offer rebates me $50. Otherwise, using Airbnb would have been silly.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I shun straight away the hosts with cleaning fees.
It adds up and at the end of the day in many hotels for the same price I can get the breakfast included.

I'm planning a new year trip in Taiwan, and watched just astounded at the insanely prices of the Airbnb offerings in Taipei.
Single room/studio apartments easily over €250 per day, whereas I secured a 4 star hotel room of 36 sq.m. - bf included - for half this price.
No brainer.

But sadly this seems to be the case more and more often.

Besides I find quite irritating the absence of any system to reduce or forfait the hefty Airbnb fees for returning/multi reservation customers or whatever fidelity program you can think of.

With the paradox that Booking.com flaunts in front of your eyes the shiny 10% real discount as a Genius customer, meanwhile Airbnb with the as much evident 'service fee' in the reservation page screams 'I couldn't care less'.

Not the wisest choice by the marketing point of view.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
One thing you can do is write a detailed review and try to save the next guy from that particular host. When searching for an Airbnb place, the reviews are a big part of my decision.

Romelle
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:24 am

Can any renter comment on the tax implications and receiving a 1099 from Airbnb. Do the legitimately send it out, or is it more of a YMMV like with Citibank.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Airbnb has a 5 page user agreement that we all gloss over and check. Most Hosts are now asking for security deposits.
I've never seen a request for a security deposit before? If I did I would automatically assume it is a scam even before I read your post. Airbnb has a large insurance policy for hosts to reimburse us in case a customer damages our apartment. So why would anyone need a security deposit on top of that? You should never accept a request for a security deposit for an Airbnb rental.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:35 am

I have looked for places both at Airbnb and VRBO. I find the VRBO site much easier to use.

Originally Posted by meech
I have looked for places both at Airbnb and VRBO. I find the VRBO site much easier to use.
By the way...always negotiate the price. I have found a couple of amazing places in Palm Springs. Booking a few weeks in advance of my stay I have been able to get the price down by more than a third. Of course your selection is limited.

Last edited by EmailKid; Nov 10, 2015 at 9:59 am Reason: back to back posts on same subject
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I prefer an apartment rental to a hotel because I want access to the room without worrying about housecleaning. VRBO and affiliates seem preferable to me because their fees are lower, but I search both. This trip I started out with a
VRBO rental, and moved into an AirBnB that I'd stayed in before. So far so good.

I also prefer a place that is used primarily as a rental so there's no potential of commingling stuff, and the space feels less cluttered. I especially hate a bathroom full of someone else's toiletries.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
have you ever stayed with airbnb?

Originally Posted by Romelle
One thing you can do is write a detailed review and try to save the next guy from that particular host. When searching for an Airbnb place, the reviews are a big part of my decision.Romelle
Romelle, I am surprised by your comment. Have you ever stayed at an airbnb?

If so, you would know that your review does not get posted on their site until it has been seen by the host and the host has posted their reply i.e. the reviews are not true 3rd party reviews like TA. The reason for this is pretty obvious....if I get a negative review from an airbnb host, I am going to have problems. The amount of self-censorship because of this is crazy!

More generally, I found the post about airbnb hosts collecting security deposits from guests alarming & scary!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:07 pm

AirBnB has changed their system. Now each side can post their review, and either both have to post their reviews, or 14 days have to elapse, before the reviews are posted and made visible to each other and the public. But the host does not see it first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.