Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
After being on hold for a long time, this idiot tells me that my verification isn't going through because I should use either chrome or firefox. And I use safari. When I told her that I put my cc info she looked and saw that it came on twice but is stuck because of the verification isn't complete.

So, they can take the money while I use safari but not verification?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The verification process is the main reason I won't use Airbnb. (Their main competitor, VRBO/Homeaway, does not require it.)

It's *not* the same thing as showing a hotel clerk your passport. There, they look at it for 5 seconds and hand it back - solely to match your name to the reservation. (I have no problem showing ID to the proprietor of the house/BnB/whatever when I arrive, although in practice none has ever asked when I've booked via other channels.)

When I book a hotel on Orbitz, I don't have to provide any ID to Orbitz. Just the hotel itself.

Even in countries where hotels are permitted (or required) to track the foreigners in their hotel by writing down passport numbers and sharing them with local police, I only have to do it in person at the hotel...not with some third party. And it's never done online as a precursor to booking.

Don't get me wrong: leaving a passport unattended with a hotel clerk also makes me a bit queasy, but I recognize that it's the law in some places and just part of the drill when it comes to travel. If all Marriotts were storing passport information and all Hiltons were not, I'd be staying at Hiltons.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I tried it once and booked a bedroom with an ensuite in Delaware but the shower had a used bar of soap which totally grossed me out. Never again!!!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
The verification process is the main reason I won't use Airbnb. (Their main competitor, VRBO/Homeaway, does not require it.)

It's *not* the same thing as showing a hotel clerk your passport. There, they look at it for 5 seconds and hand it back - solely to match your name to the reservation. (I have no problem showing ID to the proprietor of the house/BnB/whatever when I arrive, although in practice none has ever asked when I've booked via other channels.)

When I book a hotel on Orbitz, I don't have to provide any ID to Orbitz. Just the hotel itself.

Even in countries where hotels are permitted (or required) to track the foreigners in their hotel by writing down passport numbers and sharing them with local police, I only have to do it in person at the hotel...not with some third party. And it's never done online as a precursor to booking.

Don't get me wrong: leaving a passport unattended with a hotel clerk also makes me a bit queasy, but I recognize that it's the law in some places and just part of the drill when it comes to travel. If all Marriotts were storing passport information and all Hiltons were not, I'd be staying at Hiltons.
And what bothers me more, is they will always have my passport/DL. I don't feel comfortable with that. The lady told me, but you have put your cc info, and I told her it is a cc that I only use for things on the net, only there.

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I tried it once and booked a bedroom with an ensuite in Delaware but the shower had a used bar of soap which totally grossed me out. Never again!!!

When I read the soap story, I might change my mind on AirBnb. But am taking a whole apt, and I always bring my own soap even when I go to my mother's house. Always. That is why I travel heavy.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Good one!

Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I signed up. Yes I was a bit hesitant about the verification but I figure it is there to let the owners know they are not renting to degenerates.

I have booked a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment for a relative coming from overseas with harbour views.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I'd leave it, you'd probably just repeat yourself and it may look fishy.
Today got notification he wrote a second review for me. So I feel having to oblige same way.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I'm on my first AirBnB stay right now, in the 9ieme. So far so good, but I spent a LOT of time studying the listings. In this case verification wasn't asked for, at least not personal/hackable data (I have an informal head shot and a short profile).

I thought that payment goes directly through AirBnB and not to the owner. My current rental didn't require a security deposit, which some owners request to be paid directly in cash. That would make me nervous.

Surprised that Safari would be the problem given that it is able to process your CC. I've had the opposite issue, needing to switch to Firefox when a site didn't recognize my date (Hotels.com).

I've had poorly cleaned rooms even in good hotels. Stuff happens. It's easy enough to read the AirBnB reviews to filter out hosts who don't clean properly.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:41 am

Just recently signed up but have not used it yet. Once when I checked the hotel option was cheaper.

I have also looked at places in my hometown and in which I saw a lot of flats in which I know they are not allowed to rent it out. Also the tax office stated they pointed out that people must declare that income.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
I'm on my first AirBnB stay right now, in the 9ieme. So far so good, but I spent a LOT of time studying the listings. In this case verification wasn't asked for, at least not personal/hackable data (I have an informal head shot and a short profile).

I thought that payment goes directly through AirBnB and not to the owner. My current rental didn't require a security deposit, which some owners request to be paid directly in cash. That would make me nervous.

Surprised that Safari would be the problem given that it is able to process your CC. I've had the opposite issue, needing to switch to Firefox when a site didn't recognize my date (Hotels.com).

I've had poorly cleaned rooms even in good hotels. Stuff happens. It's easy enough to read the AirBnB reviews to filter out hosts who don't clean properly.
I have no idea why she said Safari doesn't work. Through the night I got a message that I go the place. Even though I managed to talk to the owner personally.

It is a rather large place and stand alone building, so am not breaking any rules. And a friend will be going to pay the owner and pick up the keys. I will have my daughter's housekeeper clean the place and put my own sheets before I go. I like to use my own sheets if I don't know the quality of the place.

9eme you say…. You have great restos in your hood, lots of very good ones. Some of my favs. Am sure you found some. If you need more, pm me and I will send you my preferred ones. And a great one just opened next to you.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Thank you for the link, will check it out.

Doc, with all the hacking and ID theft going on, am not comfy giving my official ID to the internet. Tried covering up the important info but it didn't work.
Any other ideas?
Use Priceline or Hotwire. Why would ANYONE risk ID theft? How will you guarantee YOUR protection? How will you protect yourself?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/vanessag...ation-rentals/

http://maphappy.org/2015/05/why-you-...eviews-at-all/

http://skift.com/2014/11/21/airbnbs-...scammers-away/

Last edited by Analise; Sep 22, 2015 at 10:03 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the articles.

I have already spoken to the owner, and a friend will be going to visit the place, if she thinks it is ok, then she will pay him with a check and get the keys. Had he not agreed to this I wouldn't have taken it. And of course he has to check me out as well. I offered him to call the hotels I normally stay at and offered friends tel #s.

It is a two way street.

I wouldn't just hand my money to anyone. The ones who said they couldn't show it, I just skipped them.

Because am staying for a long time, I really need a place bigger than a room. I would have stayed at my preferred places but they are far from where my kiddo lives.

But people have to be aware.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Man, you gotta bury that thing underneath the fitted sheet. That's the only way to respond when that happens!!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I signed up. Yes I was a bit hesitant about the verification but I figure it is there to let the owners know they are not renting to degenerates.
That implies that they're running background checks on the ID I provide??

That would make me 100x *less* likely to use them.

I've heard of hotels snooping social media to gather intelligence on future guests, but I haven't heard of one running a background check to determine whether the future guest is a degenerate (presumably someone with a criminal record?). In foreign countries where passport information is systematically collected, I just assume the police use the data to track the movement of the guest while he/she is in the country.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by pinniped
That implies that they're running background checks on the ID I provide??

That would make me 100x *less* likely to use them.

I've heard of hotels snooping social media to gather intelligence on future guests, but I haven't heard of one running a background check to determine whether the future guest is a degenerate (presumably someone with a criminal record?). In foreign countries where passport information is systematically collected, I just assume the police use the data to track the movement of the guest while he/she is in the country.
Yup, I just did a verification and it was a little creepy (multiple choice to name the town where [street where I lived 35 years ago] is). Guess I'll be revising my profile preferences. Not that I put much info online--Facebook keeps nagging me to complete my profile and I won't have a LinkedIn account. Still...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.