Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
NJ and Staten Island. Actually, it belongs to a specific demographic, but I think use of the term might get me an FT-sponsored vacation. Hint: it's a relatively common first name for an Italian man.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Little Italy? How blah.

I love, love, love Il Buco on Bond St. Convivio in Tudor City is also excellent. And, for all you UESers, Vico is a favorite, but not on the level of the other two.
Just ate at Convivio. While the food was good, the experience was marred by rather poor service.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by AA 777
While it may not be in NYC, if anyone ever out on the Island....In Westbury, on the corner of Post Ave and Old Country Rd is Cafe Baci. We've been going there for as long as I can remember and it is ALWAYS good. Be ready to wait though...on a Friday or Saturday be ready for 90 mins...but its worth it.

I can vouch for Cafe Baci - went there last year for our anniversary - great food
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Menu prices are actually quite reasonable.
Really? 15 bucks for the soup of the day?

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant...us/dinner.html

I'm sure the food is pretty good, but what's on the menu is run-of-the-mill Italian. You can find much more interesting stuff here at those prices..
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Nado
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Babbos yet.
It isnt because I havent heard of it

Another really interesting one is Olana. High end Italian. Very nice place. Excellent and interesting food.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
If you want Little Italy before it became a tourist place, try this one.

Volare. It is not in Little Italy but is a traditional - old style type - NY Italian restaurant. Food is wonderful and service is friendly. Been there and they come out and tell you what fresh fish they have and such. Mostly not even ordering on the menu, but what they have that is good that day. I think the description is spot on from my experiences there.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
"Italian" covers a range of styles, as I think some of the posts indicate--are you talking red sauce traditional, classic Milanese, rustic, etc., or something a bit more creative?
My personal tastes nowadays tend to run to the last, but I'm a sucker for big, robust flavors, so I'll join in the recommendation above for Lupa. My personal favorite here is Babbo, notwithstanding the noise level; be forewarned, it's a hard reservation, still. I have not yet been to Scarpetta, which is also a hard reservation, but friends I trust really liked it (and I did like L'Impero, one of his former ventures, though not Alto, his last one). I also like A Voce, though that too suffers from noise.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by stevenshev
NJ and Staten Island. Actually, it belongs to a specific demographic, but I think use of the term might get me an FT-sponsored vacation. Hint: it's a relatively common first name for an Italian man.
Babbo is somebody's first name? I always thought Babbo was a brand of cheap kitchen cleanser a la Ajax.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:52 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Babbo is somebody's first name? I always thought Babbo was a brand of cheap kitchen cleanser a la Ajax.
I believe it also means 'dummy' in korean.

My vote is for Lupa or Otto.

The chef/owner of Le Zie fame also has a fantastic place on 81st between 3rd and lex. called Antonucci that is even better than its Chelsea cousin. Of course, you must be on the UES for it to make any sense.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Smile

We ate in many fabulous restaurants while in New York city, but Le Zie was the favorite for all 9 of us. Thanks to everyone who made such great recommendations.
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weather
We ate in many fabulous restaurants while in New York city, but Le Zie was the favorite for all 9 of us. Thanks to everyone who made such great recommendations.
I have not been there in 8 years - glad to know it's still good. Will have to go back again...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by weather
Glad you enjoyed it. I took my parents to Le Zie tonight. They enjoyed it so much they plan to return on Thursday night.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:16 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I usually go to Florio's down in Little Italy. An Army buddy of mine mentioned how he swore by it and how the owner was a great supporter of the Armed Forces. Sure enough, when I went there a week later I was treated like I was family. So, since then, that's where my business goes.

NY Magazine: "Giovanni Terzulli of Florio’s Doesn’t Mind If You Smoke"

Last edited by uavking; Oct 16, 2008 at 12:47 am Reason: Added link to article
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by uavking
I usually go to Florio's down in Little Italy. An Army buddy of mine mentioned how he swore by it and how the owner was a great supporter of the Armed Forces. Sure enough, when I went there a week later I was treated like I was family. So, since then, that's where my business goes.
What does it mean that the owner is "a great supporter of the Armed Forces"? I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find many restaurant owners who do not support our troops; I guess I'm unsure as to why that would be a basis to choose a restaurant (unless, of course, you're a member of the military and he's feeding you for free!).
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
(unless, of course, you're a member of the military and he's feeding you for free!).
Based on the article that seems to be exactly what the owner does.

I'm not sure that could sway me enough if the food isn't very good, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.