Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
That's expensive. Pasta prices in the mid $20s? It isn't like they're in a high-rent area like midtown.
I would gladly pay $5-$10 per pasta dish, to avoid heading to midtown/east midtown, or the UES.

Plus, I can walk to this place. What's not to love?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Le Zie on 20th & 7th.
Le Zie is great (I lived right across the street from it for a couple of years). But there is a relatively new Italian restaurant, Eolo, just one block up (21st and 7th). The food is just awesome; it blows Le Zie away.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Le Zie is great (I lived right across the street from it for a couple of years). But there is a relatively new Italian restaurant, Eolo, just one block up (21st and 7th). The food is just awesome; it blows Le Zie away.
Still the same quality, at Le Zie? Because the last time I was there, 10 years ago, still a tourist in NYC, and have been back only once.

Will have to check out Eolo.

Italian is difficult to justify a night out -- many times not too difficult to replicate at home.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd
Still the same quality, at Le Zie? Because the last time I was there, 10 years ago, still a tourist in NYC, and have been back only once.
Same quality for the last 5-6 years, and very friendly service. The whole branzino is to die for.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My 2 cents being italian and living in NY since a few years now..

Best expensive italian restaurants: Babbo (WV) and Sant'Ambroes (WV and UE)
Over-rated restaurants (I'll never go back): Cipriani, Cipriani Downtown, Maialino, Locanda Verde
Best under-rated italian restaurants: Lupa (GV)
Best cheap italian traditional style restaurants (where I can't wait to go back): Quinto Quarto (WV), Bianca (EV)

Best pizza: Numero 28 (WV), Kestè (WV)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ale.penazzi
My 2 cents being italian and living in NY since a few years now..

Best expensive italian restaurants: Babbo (WV) and Sant'Ambroes (WV and UE)
Over-rated restaurants (I'll never go back): Cipriani, Cipriani Downtown, Maialino, Locanda Verde
Best under-rated italian restaurants: Lupa (GV)
Best cheap italian traditional style restaurants (where I can't wait to go back): Quinto Quarto (WV), Bianca (EV)

Best pizza: Numero 28 (WV), Kestè (WV)
Babbo is my favorite as well.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If in Tribeca or East Village and want unpretentious but good food and simple menu try MAX which is on Duane and I think Ave B.
I was there last night and yummy yummy!
Payment via cash or Amex.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If in Tribeca or East Village and want unpretentious but good food and simple menu try MAX which is on Duane and I think Ave B.
I am confused. I think by Duane you mean 4th St.?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by nerd
I am confused. I think by Duane you mean 4th St.?
Elaborate max-ny.com
TriBeCa location on Duane St
LES location on Ave B near 4th St
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Need a recommendation. I'll be in Manhattan only a few hours, mainly down near the WFC, late afternoon.

I'll be heading to JFK that evening for a morning flight.

Looking for good Italian food, in a very casual environment. Does that exist? Not looking to change out of jeans and a tshirt, as I'll be in the middle of a MR.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Take the 2/3 train to 14th Street and walk up to Le Zie. Sit in the bar on the side.

Walk over to 23rd & 8th when you're done and take the E to JFK.

I'm not a shill; I just really enjoy it there.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:08 pm

My recommendation..

Quinto Quarto, on Bedford street, 100ft from the cross between 6th Av and Houston st.. It's 3 min away from the west 4th subway station and 5 min. from Spring Street on the Blue line.

Good, authentic Italian (and I'm Italian) in a relaxed but still cozy an nice place.

Try the "Bombolotti alla Gricia", whenever I go there it's always the pasta I choose..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My recommendation..

Quinto Quarto, on Bedford street, 100ft from the cross between 6th Av and Houston st.. It's 3 min away from the west 4th subway station and 5 min. from Spring Street on the Blue line.

Good, authentic Italian (and I'm Italian) in a relaxed but still cozy an nice place.

Try the "Bombolotti alla Gricia", whenever I go there it's always the pasta I choose..
Wow - I don't generally trust Yelp, but funny for a place to get equal amounts of 1-star as 4-star reviews (and 40% of ratings, out of 56, being 2 or lower, out of a scale of 5).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/quinto-quarto-new-york
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:16 pm

That's because it's an Italian place for italians.. I've lived here for too many years to argue with colleagues and friends who think that pasta, as we mean it, is not cooked enough or the sauce has not enough flavor or over salted, etc..

Italian food is not American/Italian food.. ;-)

PS an Italian restaurant like that is made for italians to eat italian food.. Which doesn't include meatballs, salads, etc.. Pasta, eggplant parmigiana, and some meat dishes. That's it. Everything else Isa on the menu only to please foreigners and it won't be as good as a plate of pasta..
Old Oct 26, 2011, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's because it's an Italian place for italians.. I've lived here for too many years to argue with colleagues and friends who think that pasta, as we mean it, is not cooked enough or the sauce has not enough flavor or over salted, etc..

Italian food is not American/Italian food.. ;-)

PS an Italian restaurant like that is made for italians to eat italian food.. Which doesn't include meatballs, salads, etc.. Pasta, eggplant parmigiana, and some meat dishes. That's it. Everything else Isa on the menu only to please foreigners and it won't be as good as a plate of pasta..
Confused by the punctuation, but it sounds like the pasta is the way to go, at this place. And, from the menu, anything else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.