Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I love Il Tinello as a high-end, formal and traditional old-school Italian restaurant. Il Tinello is at 16 W. 56 St.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:46 am

As a life long New Yorker and dedicated foodie my vote goes for Patsy's restaurant at 236 West 56th Street. http://www.patsys.com/
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
I have only been in NYC once and a girlfriend told me to go to John's on 12th Street. As I recall it was a little off the beaten path in the Village (native New Yorker's can correct me). It was a tiny little place and cash only, but OMG the Italian food was amazing and the best I have ever had. My brother ordered the anchovie pasta and WOW!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Smile Thanks to everyone who replied

I'll check them out and see which ones we can get a reservation to.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
All of the above and...
La Traviata
$10-12
Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights.
consistently great food the last 20 years
Old Sep 14, 2008, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Clincher
All of the above and...
La Traviata
$10-12
Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights.
consistently great food the last 20 years
6 months ago I couldn't agree more. These days, however, La Traviata has definitely taken a turn for the worse and I've only had mediocre to poor food from them recently.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 4:12 pm

I'm a big fan of Lupa.

In Little Italy be warned that most of the restaurants are really bad. There are probably some good ones, but most aren't, so be sure you have a good, specific recommendations.

I've also been to Patsy's on 56th and was unimpressed. If you have a Sinatra fetish, I guess it can be fun (it was his hangout), but if it weren't for its association with the man this place would have closed decades ago. It's the kind of place that in many small US cities would be considered top end Italian, but in NYC there are many, many places to go that have better, less-expensive, more interesting food in a less stuffy atmosphere.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by GreyedOut
6 months ago I couldn't agree more. These days, however, La Traviata has definitely taken a turn for the worse and I've only had mediocre to poor food from them recently.
really. i just ate there yesterday afternoon, the reason they were on my mind and worth mentioning. Granted I had not eaten there in a while but the food was as I remembered. Just shows how one critic can ruin a business

Honestly are there any that good in NYC? If you want real Italian try LaParma I, II, and III in Long Island (three total listed below- same owner). I have been to the one on Willis Avenue I believe ext 37 off of LIE. there is no better -guaranteed. La Parma has been awarded with “Excellent” rating by Zagat for six consecutive years.

Williston Park, NY
707 Willis Avenue
516-294-6610
Huntington, NY
452 Jericho Tpke.
631-367-6360
Oceanside, NY
410 Merrick Road
516-763-1815
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
I'm a big fan of Lupa.

In Little Italy be warned that most of the restaurants are really bad. There are probably some good ones, but most aren't, so be sure you have a good, specific recommendations.

I've also been to Patsy's on 56th and was unimpressed. If you have a Sinatra fetish, I guess it can be fun (it was his hangout), but if it weren't for its association with the man this place would have closed decades ago. It's the kind of place that in many small US cities would be considered top end Italian, but in NYC there are many, many places to go that have better, less-expensive, more interesting food in a less stuffy atmosphere.
I have to respectfully disagree with you. I don't have a Sinatra fetish since my musical taste runs to old line country music but when it comes to Italian food I still think Patsy's is the best
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Clincher
really. i just ate there yesterday afternoon, the reason they were on my mind and worth mentioning. Granted I had not eaten there in a while but the food was as I remembered. Just shows how one critic can ruin a business

I'm definitely not trying to ruin a business, and I should have added a qualifier in my first post.

I used to get delivery from La Traviata roughly twice a week for around a year and enjoyed it very much... After their separate delivery arm closed (a few months ago) the food delivered from the retail location declined in quality. It got to the point where neither I nor my co-workers will order from them anymore.

Here's the catch: I've never eaten in house at La Traviata! Many restaurants have varying quality for take out vs. in house, and I really hope this is one of those cases - Traviata used to be my favorite delivery resteraunt in the area. I should actually try eating-in there some day I'm glad to see its still getting good reviews ... I'll have to give it another chance

Last edited by GreyedOut; Sep 14, 2008 at 9:13 pm Reason: grammar
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've also been to Patsy's on 56th and was unimpressed...

It's the kind of place that in many small US cities would be considered top end Italian, but in NYC there are many, many places to go that have better, less-expensive, more interesting food in a less stuffy atmosphere.
That was my impression, as well, having checked out their menu for the first time (I know nothing of this place).

But hey, it sounds like some people will travel to NYC to spend 30 bucks on a chicken cacciatore or veal piccata.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA million miler
[QUOTE If you want real Italian try LaParma I, II, and III in Long Island I have been to the one on Willis Avenue I believe ext 37 off of LIE. there is no better -guaranteed. La Parma has been awarded with “Excellent” rating by Zagat for six consecutive years. [/QUOTE]

ha ha ha

these are popular with zagat since the portions are humongous- each dish easily feeds 4 as a main course or 8 as an appetizer!!! seriously - this is "lawn guylandt family style"

although the food is yummy- especially if you are a "anything parmagiana" fan but its more for large groups who can handle the sheer volume

if you are a just a couple you will not be happy- bring six of your friends

lets reiterate the difference between the many "southern italian" - red sauce places and the "northern italian" brown sauce restaurants - both can be good but "fine dining' is usually, to me, northern style

ma, siamo tutti italiani
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:00 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by blort
My favorite is Scalinatella at 61st and 3rd. Don't order off the menu.
Can you elaborate? I've walked by it about 1,000,000 times and was never tempted to go in. Why not order off the menu - and what is to be ordered?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
I have to add my votes for Felidia and Circo.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I'm a big fan of Lupa..
+1, I recently had a spectacular meal there and the service was just as good as the food and wine ^

Originally Posted by gdeluca
I have only been in NYC once and a girlfriend told me to go to John's on 12th Street. As I recall it was a little off the beaten path in the Village (native New Yorker's can correct me). It was a tiny little place and cash only, but OMG the Italian food was amazing and the best I have ever had. My brother ordered the anchovie pasta and WOW!
I used to go to Johns on 12th (on East 12th btwn 1st & 2nd - closer to 2nd Ave) a lot back when i was in school. fyi, if an old school, neighborhood red sauce joint is what you're in the mood for, you could certainly do a lot worse.

speaking of neighborhood spots, Lil Frankies in the East Village always seems to be a popular choice, Sadly I've yet to actually eat there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.