Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
On the higher end, let's add Sette Mezzo and Circo.
Ditto on Sette Mezzo.

It's simple, straightforward, excellent food. You'll be in and out in an hour. You may sit in the back (in cramped quarters) if you're not a regular. But the food should make up for it. In 20years and literally more than a THOUSAND meals there, I've never had a bad meal.

Trick is, don't read the menu -the specials are always terrific.

Be advised the place is cash only. And those aforementioned specials can be quite expensive. (Menu prices are actually quite reasonable.)
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Ditto on Sette Mezzo.

It's simple, straightforward, excellent food. You'll be in and out in an hour. You may sit in the back (in cramped quarters) if you're not a regular. But the food should make up for it. In 20years and literally more than a THOUSAND meals there, I've never had a bad meal.

Trick is, don't read the menu -the specials are always terrific.

Be advised the place is cash only. And those aforementioned specials can be quite expensive. (Menu prices are actually quite reasonable.)
Again, identical food, nicer atmosphere (though regulars still do get the better tables) at Vico.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: CO Gold
Here's another vote for Primola on the Upper East Side. It is expensive but always great.
I work near Little Italy and usually avoid it. Most of the places are pretty disappointing.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage, Marriott Gold
A favorite of mine is Brio (137 east 61st street). The first time we went was on a recommendation from a friend and we have gone back many times since. Not terribly expensive for New York, but not exactly cheap either. Never had awful service, but sometimes it could be better. However, the food is always delicious.

Another one is Grifone. Its on 244 E 46th St near the UN. Havent gone there as much as Brio, but still always good. The reviews are correct - Once you go a lot they begin to know you and it truly is like family. A fairly small place and very old fashioned.

While it may not be in NYC, if anyone ever out on the Island....In Westbury, on the corner of Post Ave and Old Country Rd is Cafe Baci. We've been going there for as long as I can remember and it is ALWAYS good. Be ready to wait though...on a Friday or Saturday be ready for 90 mins...but its worth it.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I second the reccomendation for Grifone.

My personal favorite is a place called Marchi's on 31st Street in Kips Bay.

http://www.marchirestaurant.com/

My NYC native Italian-American family has been eating there for the past 40 or so years. It is a unique dining experience. There is no menu and everyone is served the same 5 course meal, which is served family style. The food is northern Italian and is very, very good. It's been owned and operated by the same family the whole time.

Here's how they describe the meal:

Originally Posted by Marchi's
The First Course consists of platters of antipasto . . . celery, melon, radishes, finocchio (a delicious Italian winter celery), Genoa salami, and a Lorenzo salad created by Signor Lorenzo Marchi, consisting of tuna fish, olives, capers, chopped celery, parsley, and red cabbage.

The Second Course is a steaming portion of lasagna, unlike any you have ever tasted. The pasta, of course, is homemade, and the sauce, made by Signor Lorenzo Marchi, is a family secret perfected only after many years of patient improvements.

Next you will be served delectably crisp, deep-fried fish, which virtually melts in your mouth. Savory cold beets and string beans are prepared with a simple oil and vinegar dressing to accompany it. As in everything you'll taste at Marchi's Restaurant, the flavors are delicate and subtle. Each dish has just a hint of something unusual in the way of seasoning to tempt your palate.

It's a far cry from the heavy concoctions usually thought of as typically Italian. Keep this in mind when choosing one of the fine Italian wines available. We offer an extensive wine list.

The Fourth Course consists of roast chicken and moist, tender slices of roast veal accompanied by a heaping platter of superbly cooked fresh mushrooms and a bowl of tossed salad.

The Fifth Course is dessert. You will find your table laden with a bowl of fruit, consisting of peaches, bananas, oranges, pears, and apples so perfect you'll think that they came straight out of a still life picture. A delicious cheese will also be served to complement the fruit. For your sweet tooth, there is the Crema Fritta (a lemon fritter) and a spectacular mound of Crostoli, which is crisp, fragile, deep-fried twists sprinkled with powdered sugar and piled high on the platter in an arrangement that looks like a fairytale castle.

Your dinner is completed with a serving of a demitasse. American coffee or tea is also available. Please visit us for a fine dining experience you will not soon forget!
The lasanga is to die for.

It's resonably priced too for all the food that you get -- I recall it being approximately $50 per person.

It's a great with a large crowd and would make the perfect place for an FT event.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Again, identical food, nicer atmosphere (though regulars still do get the better tables) at Vico.
Actually, the food is slightly different at Vico. Interestingly, the ownership mix is different... Two partners own Vico; a third is in on Sette Mezzo - and he calls all the shots there. In my opinion, SM has the edge on food and efficiency of service. Vico would certainly be more comfortable for someone who isn't a regular at either restaurant. (At SM there's limited space, and if they don't know you, you'll be scrunched in the back.)
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Thanks for everyones suggestions. We've made reservations at Le Zie for our group of 9 and we'll be splitting up and trying Felidia & Sette Mezzo in smaller groups for lunch.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Interestingly, the ownership mix is different... Two partners own Vico; a third is in on Sette Mezzo - and he calls all the shots there.
Are you talking about Oriente?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 20years and literally more than a THOUSAND meals there, I've never had a bad meal.
Wow!

You've eaten there every week since 1988?

You need to go on vacation!
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
My two favorites for Italian are Ama and Morandi. Ama is small and really wonderful, with dishes like fresh made pasta with wild boar sauce or rabbit sauce. Morandi is also a gem.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weather
Thanks for everyones suggestions. We've made reservations at Le Zie for our group of 9
I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed. I just might be sitting at the bar while you're there. If you're interested PM me with the date/time and I'll try harder to be there and say hi.

S.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Are you talking about Oriente?
Yep.

Originally Posted by nerd
Wow!

You've eaten there every week since 1988?

You need to go on vacation!
Well, there have been weeks I haven't been there, but others when I've eaten their food more than once.

(Take-out counts.)
Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Babbos yet.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Nado
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Babbos yet.
a) Babbo's? Are you from Long Island?

b) Ew.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Babbo's? Are you from Long Island?
That's a Bostonism too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.