Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italian Restaurants in Manhattan (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 4:02 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
A search of this forum for "Italian restaurant" yielded several highly relevant threads. The two recent threads have now been merged into the most informative of these previous threads, and links to older threads are also provided from the OP.

While this thread will now be added to the Sticky, members are reminded of their responsibility to Search Before Posting and encouraged to read the previous material upthread. Thanks for your cooperation.

/Moderator
Old May 16, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by shorelife
How about Jillie's (sp?) It's some joint that my mother -- who's a native New Yorker - always used to recommend and add that "Sinatra would always go there." I think it was in the "old neighborhood" - meaning somewhere up around 1st and 116th St., not sure if it's still going but as of a few years ago when I caught a segment on 60 Minutes or one of those news programs that was about them having a legal fight over the name Jillie's with another establishment, it was still going strong...
Jilly's was in the West 50s. Pretty sure it's long gone. No idea if it ever was any good, but NYC has lots of bad restaurants that attract celebrities for all sorts of reasons other than the food.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA; USairways; United; British Air
Originally Posted by Blumie
Jilly's was in the West 50s. Pretty sure it's long gone. No idea if it ever was any good, but NYC has lots of bad restaurants that attract celebrities for all sorts of reasons other than the food.
Okay, a brief google search reveals Jilly's is on W. 58th but is back in business. It was named after Sinatra's onetime bodyguard Jilly Rizzo so yes, he probably went there for other reasons than just the food
Old May 18, 2010, 2:31 pm

Which Italian restaurant would you recommend for a romantic dinner on the UES (above 80th)?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm a fan of Da Tommaso on 54th and 8th Avenue (908 8th Avenue to be exact). The late, great Jerry Orbach was often seen here:

http://www.datommasony.com/
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got friends coming in town this weekend, and they love Italian food of all kinds. I was thinking it would be fun to take them to some place in Little Italy; what do people recommend? They've said that they will be paying, so I don't want to blow them away with an uber-expensive restaurant - just a good solid place with atmosphere.

If Little Italy is mostly lousy tourist traps, what do people recommend anywhere in the city?

I've read through this thread but I'm not sure what's out of date.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:43 am

Personally, I would skip Little Italy. The UES recommendations I made near the beginning of the thread still hold as solid neighborhood places and are not uber-expensive (except maybe Primola).
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've got friends coming in town this weekend, and they love Italian food of all kinds. I was thinking it would be fun to take them to some place in Little Italy; what do people recommend? They've said that they will be paying, so I don't want to blow them away with an uber-expensive restaurant - just a good solid place with atmosphere.

If Little Italy is mostly lousy tourist traps, what do people recommend anywhere in the city?

I've read through this thread but I'm not sure what's out of date.
Originally Posted by dstan
Personally, I would skip Little Italy. The UES recommendations I made near the beginning of the thread still hold as solid neighborhood places and are not uber-expensive (except maybe Primola).
Little Italy is largely, but not entirely, overpriced tourist traps. Rubirosa is one gem in the area.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

just a good solid place with atmosphere.
Le Zie on 20th & 7th.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond

In Little Italy, I recommend Da Nico - a bit pricier than some of the other places on Mulberry but the food is excellent and it's not as much a tourist trap as other places.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:03 pm

If you're in Little Italy, a dessert must is La Bella Ferrara on Mulberry Street.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Campagnola Restaurant
1382 1st Ave
(between 73rd St & 74th St)
New York, NY 10021
Neighborhoods: Yorkville, Upper East Side
(212) 861-1102

http://www.yelp.com/biz/campagnola-restaurant-new-york

Absolutely amazing old school place. Don't order off the menu - just let them serve you what you need.

Last edited by marklyon; Oct 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by marklyon
Campagnola Restaurant
Yes, but do you think that might fall into the "uber-expensive" category when compared to other Italians? Zagat has it at $72, which means it'll be more like $125/person for most people.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the suggestions! My bf actually chose Option C, a place on the lower east side called Apizz. I'll let y'all know how it is!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:19 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! My bf actually chose Option C, a place on the lower east side called Apizz. I'll let y'all know how it is!
That's expensive. Pasta prices in the mid $20s? It isn't like they're in a high-rent area like midtown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.