Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: HH - Gold, Emerald Executive-Elite, Herz Gold Five-Star, Sixt Platinum
My rental was back in September, but still want to let you know about the Vehicle Selection back then.

I donīt know if itīs usual in LA, but most of the aisles for the specific car categories have been totally empty.
Didnīt take a closer look at EA, but remember there were several midsize sedans, a Dodge Journey and some other midsize SUV.

ES had a wide choice, lots of "large" SUVs like 6 or 7 Ford Expediton, Nissan Armada, Dodge Durango, some Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge and Chevy Minivans and a bunch of Sedans, which I didnīt look at because we needed an SUV.
We stayed at the ES area for about a half hour, looking for a descent ride for our three week trip. They pulled up a bunch of cars to the ES during that time, including a Chevy Tahoe XL, BMW X3 and some Ford Hybrid sedans (donīt know the model).
We went off with a Ford Explorer Limited from the ES selection with 6k miles on it, Took it because we had a couple of them during our last rentals and always been happy with them and the size fits our needs.
Spent three really nice weeks and returned the car without any problems, except for the oil change reminder coming up on the second to last day. But thatīs ok, we returned it with nearly 11k miles.
bedeve and ginmqi like this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: SkyMiles-Platinum | HHonors-Diamond VIP
On Tuesday 11/21 before Thanksgiving I was impressed with the selection. On the ES side there were 2 bmw 4 series, grand cherokees, a Ram 1500. I didn’t pay much attention to the other sedans and took a Lincoln MKX.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 1:09 pm

LAX Alamo VS National

I have two reservations for LAX early arrival the day after Easter 2018.
Alamo is Premium Crossover, they say Buick Enclave or Similar. Not sure what to expect for Similar.
National, I only have EA.
The Alamo Premium Crossover is $90 more expensive.
I would want to be in some sort of SUV and not sure if worth hanging onto the Alamo reservation as not sure what to expect at LAX.

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by mjr0483
I have two reservations for LAX early arrival the day after Easter 2018.
Alamo is Premium Crossover, they say Buick Enclave or Similar. Not sure what to expect for Similar.
National, I only have EA.
The Alamo Premium Crossover is $90 more expensive.
I would want to be in some sort of SUV and not sure if worth hanging onto the Alamo reservation as not sure what to expect at LAX.

Thanks

In that class that I know of you also have the Dodge Durango and infinti QX60. Tbh if you don't need 3 rows I would go with a Standard SUV. With standard your options are better with the Ford Explorer, Jeep grand Cherokee and the Hyandai Santa Fae ( not sure if that's a standard or intermediate but leaning towards standard). Think also the dodge journey is standard as well.

As you said Easter you probably won't be able to find a suv even in the Executive aisle let alone the Emerald aisle so if you require a SUV I would keep both. Alamo and national is in the same location so at worse you can check the aisle and cancel if you can't find a suv.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Standard stuff in ES yesterday. I grabbed a Cadillac XTS from the ES side. Nice ride but under-powered.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:49 pm

Has anyone noticed that all the cars here at LAX have Apple CarPlay disabled? It was my first time renting here, and the new Nissan Maxima, a Chevy Suburban, and a Chevy Tahoe all had CarPlay disabled. In the Maxima the CarPlay icon is in the entertainment screen, but it’s literally greyed out (I YouTubed how to make it work in the Maxima to make sure it wasn’t user error before I drove off too haha). As I checked out, I asked the booth agent if National was disabling CarPlay on vehicles and she confirms yes on certain vehicles they are.

Many of you might know this already but it was (aggravating) news to me. Since I’m in the car a lot, being able to dictate texts while driving is super helpful.

Anyways...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:13 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I've never heard of such a thing, nor was I aware there was even a way to permanently disable CarPlay on a vehicle (some vehicles have an optional, but reversible, disabling available - such as Ford). Plus, I find it highly unlikely that EHI would do that to their fleet vehicles, thereby destroying resale value. CarPlay (at least on the vehicles you've described) require a physical aux connection to the vehicle through a lightning cable. Are you sure you didn't have the CarPlay restrictions turned on in your phone menu, or your cord wasn't broken?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by marcdc
Has anyone noticed that all the cars here at LAX have Apple CarPlay disabled? It was my first time renting here, and the new Nissan Maxima, a Chevy Suburban, and a Chevy Tahoe all had CarPlay disabled. In the Maxima the CarPlay icon is in the entertainment screen, but it’s literally greyed out (I YouTubed how to make it work in the Maxima to make sure it wasn’t user error before I drove off too haha). As I checked out, I asked the booth agent if National was disabling CarPlay on vehicles and she confirms yes on certain vehicles they are.

Many of you might know this already but it was (aggravating) news to me. Since I’m in the car a lot, being able to dictate texts while driving is super helpful.

Anyways...
I can't remember which car I had from LAX that the CarPlay didn't work, but it might have been a Maxima. I'll try to find a car with CarPlay tomorrow and check it out.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by marcdc

Anyways...
Rented a Camaro SS. It had CarPlay and it worked fine.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Rented a Camaro SS. It had CarPlay and it worked fine.
thank you for the follow-up. not sure what happened with the 3 different cars i tried, but good to know the camaro works. I’ll look out for it next time
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: SkyMiles-Platinum | HHonors-Diamond VIP
CarPlay

I had a Lincoln MKX and CarPlay was available there, but I disabled it because there was already a Nav system in the car and it became more confusing jumping between CarPlay and the car's native controls. Maybe in the cars you had, the previous renter had also disabled CarPlay?
Closingracer likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Gold
Any recent updates on Exec aisle? Dropping in this Saturday.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Division
Any recent updates on Exec aisle? Dropping in this Saturday.

There has been pretty good selection lately. Definitely full ES aisles. What are you looking for?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmptyKim

There has been pretty good selection lately. Definitely full ES aisles. What are you looking for?
Got 2 trips coming up. Looking for a Suburban (or similar) for the second week. I've read throughout this thread that they are there, but don't seem to be a lot in Exec. For my first trip I'm looking for either a convertible Camaro or Mustang. Preferably a SS/GT, but I'm not too sure if they are frequent visitors in the Exec aisle.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Division
Got 2 trips coming up. Looking for a Suburban (or similar) for the second week. I've read throughout this thread that they are there, but don't seem to be a lot in Exec. For my first trip I'm looking for either a convertible Camaro or Mustang. Preferably a SS/GT, but I'm not too sure if they are frequent visitors in the Exec aisle.
not sure if I’ve seen suburbans in the ES aisle but honestly never looked for them. I have seen Tahoe’s.

I rented the Camaro SS convertible. It was in the premier section with $30 upgrade price marked on it. I just asked the National person working the lot and they took the sign off and said I could take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.