Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:42 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Of the downtown locations I find Wellington the best. YTZ and Yonge/Bloor are enterprise that happen to be National.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by turbov6
At one point I saw three of those Durango R/T at Wellington. If you were doing a one way to YYZ they may have wanted to re-position one out there.

The downtown locations have a lot less to work with so its understandable especially if they are sold out on a summer weekend that they can't upgrade everyone including elites.

To help decide between Premium and Luxury here are some of the cars in each category:

Premium: Chrysler 300S (some AWD), Nissan Maxima SV or SL, Ford Taurus, Buick Lacrosse and maybe Buick Regal (if there are any left).

Luxury: Hyundai Genesis, BMW X1, Audi A4 and maybe Mercedes C300. There is also a Mercedes CLA250 floating around.

Wellington as far as I know is the largest of the downtown locations. YYZ (T1 & T3) would have the largest selection of all of the GTA National locations.
Would there be any penalty if I cancel my reservation on the spot if I was denied an upgrade at Wellington? I was planning on going there around lunch and see if I can snag an SUV on a Fullsize reservation. Worse case, I will go to YYZ after work and pick from the lot...would have saved about $20 and travel time though if I managed to get it from Wellington.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by humansoul
Would there be any penalty if I cancel my reservation on the spot if I was denied an upgrade at Wellington? I was planning on going there around lunch and see if I can snag an SUV on a Fullsize reservation. Worse case, I will go to YYZ after work and pick from the lot...would have saved about $20 and travel time though if I managed to get it from Wellington.
There is no penalty for canceling a reservation.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: National EE
There is no penalty. The best case scenario you will get a small SUV like ford edge on a FCAR reservation in Wellington as they are not very keen on upgrades unless they are sold out. If you need a medium/large SUV your best bet would be T1 terminal in YYZ.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:10 am

I called ahead and ended up cancelling the Wellington reservation given the lady wouldn't budge. Was at YYZ T1 and they had a good selection, although no sedans at all:

-Ram 1500s
-Town and Country(Old gen...)
-Lots of fully loaded Flex
-Jeep Wranglers
-Buick Enclaves
-Dodge Durangos (One RT, several Limited which I took for DVD option, blacktop edition too)
-Kia Sedona (LX models)
-Tahoe LT (older gen)

Tucked in the luxury aisle were a Mustang convertible and Dodge Challenger

Originally Posted by matrixca7
There is no penalty. The best case scenario you will get a small SUV like ford edge on a FCAR reservation in Wellington as they are not very keen on upgrades unless they are sold out. If you need a medium/large SUV your best bet would be T1 terminal in YYZ.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
-Town and Country(Old gen...)
Old gen? The Town & Country was last updated in 2011 so I hope it wasn't any older than that. I wouldn't expect to see the 2017 Pacifica in rental fleets for a little while yet, chances are they've bought up the remaining 2016 Town and Countrys at bargain prices so the Pacifica won't arrive until those have run their course on mileage.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:22 pm

Toronto Wellington
- Maxima SV
- 2 Genesis 3.8 Premium
- 2 300S
- A lot of Flexes
- Challenger SXT Pluses
- Jetta
- Lots of other midsize SUVs

I was given a shiny blue Genesis on an LCAR reservation. I have to say, the Genesis was a bit anticlimactic after the rave reviews that I've heard. Yes, it's not bad but I don't believe that it's better than a 300S or a Taurus Limited. The 300S has better speakers, voice recognition, and IMHO a better designed infotainment system. Meanwhile, the Taurus Limited is much better equipped. Perhaps the more loaded 3.8 Luxury trim would've blown those two out of the water.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:20 pm

The best rate I get for any location in Toronto and YYZ is $45 per day for FCAR with EC contract id (both for weekends and weekdays). Does anyone get a better rate? I tried different dates the result is the same.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Old gen? The Town & Country was last updated in 2011 so I hope it wasn't any older than that. I wouldn't expect to see the 2017 Pacifica in rental fleets for a little while yet, chances are they've bought up the remaining 2016 Town and Countrys at bargain prices so the Pacifica won't arrive until those have run their course on mileage.
My bad...I meant no Pacifica's yet.

Returned the Durango at Wellington this past Monday and saw what appeared to be a CLA250.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:27 pm

The best rate I get for any location in Toronto and YYZ is $45 per day for FCAR with EC contract id (both for weekends and weekdays). Does anyone get a better rate? I tried different dates the result is the same.
I've gotten rates as low as 26-28/day weekend using the EC Rate. I often find that it pays to check again the day of the rental to see what the rate is (I do this on the bus to YYZ on my way to picking up the car). Though these rates don't really come up often in the summer months. For weekend rentals, there's also usually always a promo going on for a free weekend day, or $20 off. Check the specials page on the website or through the mobile app.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:55 pm

All SUVs today at YYZ. The sole sedan was a Nissan Altima on the EA that was snapped up. The ES had a fleet of Durango Limiteds, a Durango R/T, several Flexes, a Cherokee, and a few other midsize SUVs. I was given the choice of an Audi A4 or Hyundai Genesis after I upgraded my reservation to a premium. I chose the Genesis with 19,000 kms.

Unfortunately, it seems that a previous renter had stolen the navigation SD card from the car as the SD slot was empty and so was the SD card case thus disabling navigation...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Schweden
All SUVs today at YYZ. The sole sedan was a Nissan Altima on the EA that was snapped up. The ES had a fleet of Durango Limiteds, a Durango R/T, several Flexes, a Cherokee, and a few other midsize SUVs. I was given the choice of an Audi A4 or Hyundai Genesis after I upgraded my reservation to a premium. I chose the Genesis with 19,000 kms.

Unfortunately, it seems that a previous renter had stolen the navigation SD card from the car as the SD slot was empty and so was the SD card case thus disabling navigation...
Audi A4 for a PCAR reservation is very good. Usually they consider it a LCAR.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:03 am

Audi A4 for a PCAR reservation is very good. Usually they consider it a LCAR.
A Genesis is classified as an LCAR too. After driving an Audi Q5 (UFAR) from Enterprise the day before, I had nightmares about taking another Audi... No sunroof, no Bluetooth audio, no rearview camera, no keyless entry, no USB slot, etc... I would've rather taken a Hyundai Sonata GLS.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:41 pm

Agreed

The Genesis is waaay better equipped. The A4s are bare bones but they do have the S package (rims and aluminum trim) and sunroof.

A Genesis is classified as an LCAR too. After driving an Audi Q5 (UFAR) from Enterprise the day before, I had nightmares about taking another Audi... No sunroof, no Bluetooth audio, no rearview camera, no keyless entry, no USB slot, etc... I would've rather taken a Hyundai Sonata GLS.

Last edited by powermax; Jun 18, 2016 at 4:47 pm
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

If they did not have a sedan for you, why did you upgrade your reservation and pay more? They should have given you the next available sedan, be it a A4 or Genesis. You can't be forced to take a SUV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.