Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum
Does YYZ have Tesla's?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by somewhat traveling actuary
Does YYZ have Tesla's?
I haven't seen any Tesla's at YYZ. Hertz has them at some locations in the USA. For Toronto you may want to consider looking into availability on Turo.

On Dec 26th YYZ T1 early in the morning there were only two vehicles in the isle. A Maxima that someone was taking and a small SUV. There were sold out for the holidays.

National YYZ had some Volvo S60's maybe 2-3 years ago but I haven't seen any in the past year. Just those V60 Wagon's more recently.

I have been eyeing those brand new S90 T6 and XC90 T6 Volvo's over at Hertz T1 and T3 at YYZ and hope to be able to upgrade into one at some point. Does anyone know how Hertz YYZ treats President's Circle members or what vehicles they typically assign as there doesn't appear to be any Ultimate Choice area setup at YYZ just a Gold Choice area. 99% of my rentals have been with National with the odd exception for a Camaro SS or Corvette rental over at Hertz. Hertz customer service is still a bit of a disaster. Meanwhile I've found National customer service to be excellent overall.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Originally Posted by turbov6
I haven't seen any Tesla's at YYZ. Hertz has them at some locations in the USA. For Toronto you may want to consider looking into availability on Turo.

On Dec 26th YYZ T1 early in the morning there were only two vehicles in the isle. A Maxima that someone was taking and a small SUV. There were sold out for the holidays.

National YYZ had some Volvo S60's maybe 2-3 years ago but I haven't seen any in the past year. Just those V60 Wagon's more recently.

I have been eyeing those brand new S90 T6 and XC90 T6 Volvo's over at Hertz T1 and T3 at YYZ and hope to be able to upgrade into one at some point. Does anyone know how Hertz YYZ treats President's Circle members or what vehicles they typically assign as there doesn't appear to be any Ultimate Choice area setup at YYZ just a Gold Choice area. 99% of my rentals have been with National with the odd exception for a Camaro SS or Corvette rental over at Hertz. Hertz customer service is still a bit of a disaster. Meanwhile I've found National customer service to be excellent overall.
As a president circle member, you'll be paying $25 p/d (regular $35 p/d) for an upgrade to the S90 T6 or XC90 T6. It's not free apparently unless you can convince them to waive the fee. I'd like an answer to the latter of your question.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:09 am

So I went to Hertz this morning.

3 day weekend rental at $56.31.

To upgrade to the S90 T6, an additional $50 a day.

They're charging an additional $32 for PLC at 16.90%.

The kicker? 200km limit yet when I reserved it was unlimited.

Credit card hold is $450!!! What the heck

I've asked for corporate to call me.

Last edited by manohman; Jan 5, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:04 pm

what car did you end up with?

Originally Posted by manohman
So I went to Hertz this morning.

3 day weekend rental at $56.31.

To upgrade to the S90 T6, an additional $50 a day.

They're charging an additional $32 for PLC at 16.90%.

The kicker? 200km limit yet when I reserved it was unlimited.

Credit card hold is $450!!! What the heck

I've asked for corporate to call me.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by rtch92
what car did you end up with?
Ended up doing the upgrade, $50 p/d additional cost for the Volvo S90 T6. Currently have it for 3 days.

I won't go into details but I ended up getting contacted by Hertz and they fixed a couple of issues I had with the rental and they allege I'll get taken care of for future rentals.

They have the Volvo V90, Volvo S90 and Volvo XC90.

I am currently Hertz President's Circle status.

I don't know but $50 a day upgrade seems excessive. I understand for a Dream Car or a convertible V8 Mustang during peak season but for a Volvo in the middle of January which I hear is the slowest month for rental agencies? Uhhhhhh
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:24 pm

was the volvo clean and low mileage?

Originally Posted by manohman
Ended up doing the upgrade, $50 p/d additional cost for the Volvo S90 T6. Currently have it for 3 days.

I won't go into details but I ended up getting contacted by Hertz and they fixed a couple of issues I had with the rental and they allege I'll get taken care of for future rentals.

They have the Volvo V90, Volvo S90 and Volvo XC90.

I am currently Hertz President's Circle status.

I don't know but $50 a day upgrade seems excessive. I understand for a Dream Car or a convertible V8 Mustang during peak season but for a Volvo in the middle of January which I hear is the slowest month for rental agencies? Uhhhhhh
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

was the volvo clean and low mileage?
Interior is spotless, exterior could have used a car wash. Mileage was about 2400km at pickup.

T6 AWD trim. Amber Upholstery.

Navigation not loaded which is very unfortunate. It's one of the main selling features of the car because it displays in dash. I might do everyone a favor and load it myself via USB stick which it prompts you to do.

Volvo On Call enabled. Not sure how that would work with a rental.

No HUD or Bowers & Wilkins surround sound system.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:02 pm

I was hoping to upgrade into one of the XC90 T6 AWD over at Hertz this month but the 200 km/day won’t work for me on a weekend trip. $50/day upgrade charge for a presidents circle member sounds a bit steep when its $25/day USD south of the border. Renting from Hertz is always such a hassle when you have to get corporate to fix things.

I really like the Cadillac XT5 AWD luxury over at National and will try to upgrade into that instead. Does anyone know if National YYZ is discounting premier selection for EE members?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by turbov6
I was hoping to upgrade into one of the XC90 T6 AWD over at Hertz this month but the 200 km/day won’t work for me on a weekend trip. $50/day upgrade charge for a presidents circle member sounds a bit steep when its $25/day USD south of the border. Renting from Hertz is always such a hassle when you have to get corporate to fix things.
Here was my experience:

After briantoronto posted about Hertz having the S90 and XC90, I stopped at the Hertz counter in December and asked them how much an upgrade would be for future rentals. I asked multiple agents and they said it would be $25-35 a day max for a Volvo.

So I went ahead and booked my first ever rental with Hertz. Emailed Hertz and got status matched to President's Circle. Thought to myself, this would be a great first experience and I'll move over to Hertz permeantly as I really like Volvo cars.

Booked a weekend rental in ICAR class as I had planned to upgrade. Went to the Gold Counter in the morning and the agent said it would be $50 extra a day. What??? I noticed they also had the XC90, V90 and S60 but he didn't offer me any alternative choices/rates. He didn't offer a rate reduction or anything.

So I asked to speak to a manager. He fetches the "manager" (who knows if it was actually a manager) who tells me it will be $50 a day and I can take it or leave it. I'm like yeah okay, cancel my reservation and I'll take my business back to Enterprise/National if you want to treat customers like that.

I was willing to pay $30-35 a day upgrade (which could be $105 total for 3 days) on top of base rate and if you're willing to lose that money and more than likely have the car car sit unsold on the lot instead then frankly I don't need to give you my business because Enterprise/National will be more than happy to take my money and ensure I have a nice set of wheels. I don't think my demands are over the top, I think I'm a quite reasonable customer. I knew I was going to have to pay but I didnt think I'd have to pay so much.

The only cars I've seen for $50 per day at Enterprise/National are V8 Mustang Convertibles and other flashy cars which customers want in the summer. It's the first week of January after Christmas and business is slow........

I walk towards the Enterprise counter while writing a message to Hertz on Facebook. They end up contacting the branch and a senior manager, who claimed to be head of the branch, called me on my cellphone and apologized. He told me Volvo apparently places the KM limitation on the vehicles so renters don't take them out of province long distances.

That is completely understandable but in all honesty, I think you should get to know your customer and then decide if you will make an exception or not. I understand you'd be weary with the occasional no status renters but I am not one of them. If you ask me what I plan to do with the vehicle, I'll be honest and upfront. I am not going to take it to Vancouver and run up thousands of KM on the car. I just want to be able to run around and have a weekend mini-vacation without worrying about a KM limitation.

The manager waives the KM limitation and waives the entire weekend upgrade fee. Very nice resolution. Heck I didn't even want that, all I wanted to do was to pay $30-35 per day. If he offered to reduce the upgrade fee, I'd have been just as happy with that as a resolution versus waiving the entire upgrade fee. I didn't ask what the manager was going to do for me, he told me what he was going to do. I think it was an awesome save of a first-time customer and I am surprised that my bad experience turned into a pretty good experience because after my face to face experience I felt like Hertz didn't care about customer experience.

The manager said I can always see him on future rentals during the day time and that he will work with me to ensure I have positive rental experiences. A+
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Jan 4
YYZ T1
ES Pretty empty early AM, bunch of Wranglers and some other SUV's. They gave me a brand new Infinity SUV(It's the large 7 pax one) from premier section for free no upcharge.

Jan 11
YYZ T1
ES had the usual Wrangers, Durango, a few top trim SUV's. There was also 2016 BASE 3 series BMW that had 50000km. Never seen such a crappy car at National before. Rough shape.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:13 pm

the wranglers spotted at YYZ, are they the new wrangler JL’s?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Jan 4
YYZ T1
ES had the usual Wrangers, Durango, a few top trim SUV's. There was also 2016 BASE 3 series BMW that had 50000km. Never seen such a crappy car at National before. Rough shape.
BMW probably from Alamo. Never seen it at Enterprise.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:05 pm

the wranglers spotted at YYZ, are they the new wrangler JL’s?
Unfortunately not. I've been keeping an eye out for them. The recent batch of new 2018 Wranglers with under 1,000 kms were the older JK style. Doug DeMuro has a YouTube review of the new JL ones and I've been looking forward to trying them.

1/11 @ 6pm T2 ES
Mix of SUVs including Nissan Murano SL, a couple new Nissan Rogue SV, Ford Edge Limited, 2017 Durango RT
A number of Chrysler 300S AWD and 2017 Buick Regal and Sonota

1/15 @ 5pm T1 ES (Monday)
They must have been low on cars there were around 8 Minivan's in the isle and the isle was over half empty
A mix of mid size SUVs and only one sedan Nissan Maxima SV

I asked over at Hertz about Volvo XC90 T6 upgrades and they said it would be $30-50/day depending on how busy it was and how many they had around and also said it was negotiable.

Also was assigned a Fiat 500X with 20,000 km as a Presidents Circle on a midsize reservation. Ended up taking an SUV over at National instead at a lower cost when you factor in the current Rent Rent Reward promotion.

Last edited by turbov6; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:14 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:25 pm

Went over to Hertz this weekend, booked ICAR and paid $25 a day upgrade fee for a Volvo S60. They're nice cars but cannot help but feel Hertz is price-gouging with the fees, especially when last time around they wanted $50 a day for the Volvo S90 and don't want to negotiate. Bit crazy, considering I have president's circle status. If Hertz daily/weekend rates weren't so cheap, I might be more crankier Lol.

Anyway, I walked past the Emerald Aisle in T1 on Sunday January 22nd and noticed they had a Cadillac, Audi and BMW sedan in the Premier upgrade section. Couldn't believe my eyes. Never seen a Cadillac sedan before.

Excuse my blurry photo, I snapped it pretty quickly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.