AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the reports - just checked my AA shopping account and saw that my second 2500 miles is pending as of today as well!
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Cartera apparently is not short on cash or they would not have chosen to hire one of the best GLOBAL law firms to represent them. In this case, the lead attorney is a very experienced gentleman out of Washington DC

http://www.lw.com/Attorneys.aspx?pag...io&attno=00736

This tells me two things:
  1. Cartera knows how badly they screwed up and they will attempt to bully anybody into accepting the 2500 mile offer
  2. Cartera cares nothing about the consumer and would rather spend $250000 in legal fees than in miles to make it right.

Either way this looks really really bad for Cartera. Even if they beat every single one of us in court, they will lose in the court of public opinion.

Cartera can't win this at all. And the worst part this is, this was a manageable situation, but now it is beyond repair for them.
What's the link between this law firm / lawyer and Cartera? Were you trying to say that a class action suit has been filed against Cartera over the Verizon offer and that this law firm / lawyer is representing them in the suit?

I don't see how this looks bad for Cartera at all, and I don't see what you think they'll lose in the court of public opinion. My strong belief is that the only people who are upset to any degree by this issue are those who are still fighting for their 83K miles (a very small population) - the vast majority of people just don't care.

If you're taking them to court, I would note the following in your favor:
1. Based on their recent fiascos - Verizon offer, current Mileage Plus Shopping Mall mess, etc., Cartera is clearly somewhat incompetent at defining and executing a business process.
2. Based on their recent mess with changes to the Mileage Plus Shopping Mall, Cartera are clearly rather incompetent at hiring and managing a capable software development team.
3. Given these failures, I see no indication that Cartera would be competent at hiring decent legal representation.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I think its far easier for a company like cartera to screw up and make these AA delta united mall mistakes and try to push people away than many think. It's also very easy for anyone with money to just go out and hire the best lawyer. It comes down to how they-- and sadly, many companies (especially airlines, mind you)-- think:

Let's not fix the problem, let's just sweep it under the rug. If it costs us money we will just charge more later.

Cartera knows more about making and running a mileage mall and building multi corporate big retailer name commission based sales than we do... But they don't know best to solve problems. They should have approached us differently when this all happened and not just fed mishandled and poorly communicated information to us or this forum. To further compound it with their pure failure in the united promo proves my point.

They think they can just pull out and then get a lawyer to clean up the mess but I can tell you for one I'm not going away quietly. I plan to have those lawyers work for their fee.

Mm
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by virtuo0
Finally second round of 2500 miles showed up in my shopping account as pending today. I made the purchase (for second incentive) on 8/31 and waiting for 45 days to pass to contact Cartera. Don't have to. ^
Nothing showing in mine.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
My 1.05 purchase at Walmart is showing for 2500 points pending. Made the purchase thru the portal on 9/23.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:31 pm

Wow! My additional 2500 points are pending. I am shocked - I thought for sure I would have to chase them down after 45 days.

Even my 3 miles for the actual item (Sharpie) are pending.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:13 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
^

Awesome! Hope I get to see my next batch of 2500 as well. Did your first 2500 clear and post on your AA account?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My 2nd 2500 are also now showing as pending.

I waited until the first 2500 were in my AA account so I didn't make my additional purchase ($4 ream of paper @ walmart) until 9/28. I had to contact them for the first 2500, but did not need to contact them again after making the 2nd qualifying purchase.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by AirForceFlyer
^

Awesome! Hope I get to see my next batch of 2500 as well. Did your first 2500 clear and post on your AA account?
They did. Like swag (above), I had to chase down the first 2500 and waited until they cleared to make the purchase (a couple of weeks ago). Partner's second 2500 hasn't shown up yet, but we made that purchase a few days later.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by starflyer
What's the link between this law firm / lawyer and Cartera? Were you trying to say that a class action suit has been filed against Cartera over the Verizon offer and that this law firm / lawyer is representing them in the suit?

I don't see how this looks bad for Cartera at all, and I don't see what you think they'll lose in the court of public opinion. My strong belief is that the only people who are upset to any degree by this issue are those who are still fighting for their 83K miles (a very small population) - the vast majority of people just don't care.

If you're taking them to court, I would note the following in your favor:
1. Based on their recent fiascos - Verizon offer, current Mileage Plus Shopping Mall mess, etc., Cartera is clearly somewhat incompetent at defining and executing a business process.
2. Based on their recent mess with changes to the Mileage Plus Shopping Mall, Cartera are clearly rather incompetent at hiring and managing a capable software development team.
3. Given these failures, I see no indication that Cartera would be competent at hiring decent legal representation.

I don't think a class action lawsuit has been filed yet, but Cartera has retained this law firm to represent them in discussions with customers. So Cartera prefers to spend money on lawyers rather than on their customers.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by deant
You think it would only be $250,000 in miles to pay everyone off? You are probably at least an order of magnitude off. I do not think that it was ever manageable for Cartera. Many people are insisting on the full mile value and anything less would have still caused an uproar. They were in a no win situation and I tend to believe that if anyone actually does take them to court, Cartera will win.
Cartera/Verizon pay roughly 1 cent per mile. So if Cartera deals with 298 consumers and give them the full value (83700 miles), then it cost them $250,000. I think that would have been a better approach, but Cartera has a unique approach to marketing and PR, so why wouldn't they apply that same approach to financial decisions?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:54 pm

Cartera apparently is not short on cash or they would not have chosen to hire one of the best GLOBAL law firms to represent them. In this case, the lead attorney is a very experienced gentleman out of Washington DC

http://www.lw.com/Attorneys.aspx?pag...io&attno=00736

This tells me two things:
  1. Cartera knows how badly they screwed up and they will attempt to bully anybody into accepting the 2500 mile offer
  2. Cartera cares nothing about the consumer and would rather spend $250000 in legal fees than in miles to make it right.
Maybe they don’t want to be blackmailed for an honest mistake!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:16 pm

Cartera/Verizon pay roughly 1 cent per mile. So if Cartera deals with 298 consumers and give them the full value (83700 miles), then it cost them $250,000. I think that would have been a better approach, but Cartera has a unique approach to marketing and PR, so why wouldn't they apply that same approach to financial decisions?
298 consumers? That's all? Try 29,800 consumers.

What about the people that bought 1000 glitter cases and expect, no deserve, 83,700,000 miles?

Is it really fair for those to receive the same amount of miles that those who only purchased one glitter case? I think not.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:18 pm

I don't think a class action lawsuit has been filed yet, but Cartera has retained this law firm to represent them in discussions with customers. So Cartera prefers to spend money on lawyers rather than on their customers.
You think Cartera cares about a bunch of free loading and litigious customers?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
You think Cartera cares about a bunch of free loading and litigious customers?
No, but Cartera should care about word-of-mouth reputation and customers generally. Even opportunistic customers are not ones Cartera or any company should antagonize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.