Wiki Posts
Search

AA Miles for $0.00072 per mile (AA Shopping) - NOT HONORED

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Guido88
Another thought is the possibility of AA and Verizon blackballing those who cause them problems. Neither company has to provide service and AA has the last word on actually providing flight availability.
Are you saying that AA may ban you from using miles for award travel?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:02 pm

Count me in as another who didn't get an email. Although I must say, my charger came in about 30 hours, which I guess was nice.

I'm not gonna wade through the 200+ pages to get all the details, but I too think that even an official "we're not honoring it" message would be better than the mixed communication that's currently out there.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CarrotTD
Count me in as another who didn't get an email.
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Seems like a great place you guys have going here, despite some of the disproportionate reactions on this thread
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Within minutes of posting about not getting email/pm, I got a PM. Basically they have no way of knowing who you are unless they get the information sent to them from AA or Verizon, which they hadn't in my case. Also, when I log into the AA E-Shopping portal and go to my account, none of my 5 purchases show up.

If you made a purchase of certain Verizon Wireless accessories that were displaying on the AAdvantage eShoppingTM mall with an incorrect offer of 83,871 American Airlines AAdvantage miles on Wednesday, August 10, 2011, and have not yet received an email confirmation regarding any bonus miles to be awarded in exchange for the inconvenience the incorrect offer may have caused, it is because we have not received reporting from Verizon of your purchase. We ask that you contact eShopping customer support so that we can research your order with Verizon (please see below for instructions).
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Amazing.

I wonder what % of people have received an email / PM at this point. I haven't, and there seem to be many others in that camp...
Same here. And nothing still showing under purchases or pending miles on the AA e-shopping site.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by roknroll
Within minutes of posting about not getting email/pm, I got a PM. Basically they have no way of knowing who you are unless they get the information sent to them from AA or Verizon, which they hadn't in my case. Also, when I log into the AA E-Shopping portal and go to my account, none of my 5 purchases show up.
With that in mind I bump my earlier request for an email or PM from Cartera Commerce.

Originally Posted by aviators99
All,
I have verified (without ambiguity) that the person registered under the username CarteraCommerce is a representative of the company Cartera Commerce.
The reason that some of you have received PMs/responses while others have not is because users are limited in the number of PMs that they can send perday (an anti-spam measure). I am trying to get that lifted for this representative.
... I am trying to get that lifted for this representative.
Originally Posted by Clincher
Excellent! Thank you for verifying and lifting their PM limits. I look forward to hearing from them.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:03 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else had this experience, but I took a gamble on this and bought 3 headphones. Obviously, I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I actually like the headphones and so I decided to keep one set and returned the other two to the Verizon store in person.

The CSR said he was happy to process the return and told me he was giving me a good deal because I seem "like a cool guy." He credited $131 to my account.

So essentially I got the headphones for about $15. Shame about the miles, but it never hurts when the CSR helps you out.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
I really don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp. And I do fault Cartera for not coming into this thread and stating this more clearly, don't get me wrong; but maybe they figure it's common sense, like I do. I don't know.

At any rate, there is no way for Cartera to know that you've made a purchase from Verizon (or any other merchant) UNTIL THAT MERCHANT NOTIFIES CARTERA OF YOUR PURCHASE. This process can take up to 45 days. It has only been 16 days since the mistake mileage offer showed up on the AA portal. Cartera, I think, is being very good about trying to figure out who made a purchase and quickly getting compensation to those people, but they can't read minds.

Those of you who haven't received an e-mail/PM from Cartera need to contact Cartera yourself. Verizon apparently did do it for some; but perhaps when they realized just how big this thing was, they decided to stop. Again, I don't know.

It appears to me that Verizon is playing the worst game here. Even though the mistake was Cartera's (as they have repeatedly admitted), Verizon could make things go more smoothly by reporting the purchases more quickly. Cartera is having to wade through this thread, threads on other sites, and their own server logs to try to identify those affected. That's a lot of work. One thing they could do -- but have evidently decided not to do for reasons I don't pretend to understand -- is comb their server logs, identify anyone who used their portal to go to Verizon's site during the time period the mistake was in effect, and then send those users a message something like, "We see your visited our portal on 10 August and went through to Verizon's site. If you made a purchase based on the mistake offer of 83K bonus miles, please send us a copy of your purchase confirmation, blah, blah." That would probably work a lot better than the hit-or-miss style they're currently using.

Based on the fact that more and more and more people keep coming out of the woodwork on just this thread alone and identifying themselves and their purchases (I don't very often read most other travel sites/blogs, but I know there are many more customers there as well), this thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger. And the more customers who did purchase, the more unlikely I believe it is that Cartera will ever give anybody more than 5K miles. I think those of you who are choosing to accept the 5K are being very smart. It's still going to cost Cartera quite a bit, but it's a fair, proportionate, and payable penalty for their mistake, IMO. I believe those who are holding out for more miles are going to be mightily disappointed, because how could any reasonable person expect Cartera to pay out the billions of miles that would cost and still stay solvent?

So write to Cartera and identify yourself as a customer affected by their mistake. Give them the info they need to confirm that you qualify for the 5K offer. And be patient -- these things take time.

No, I don't work for Cartera. No, I don't work for Verizon. No, I don't work for AA. I am a hobbyist programmer and website designer. I make my living in the legal field (though I'm not an attorney). I have been using the AA eShopping portal for years. I've made hundreds of purchases, and exactly two of them have had issues. TWO. Yes, it sometimes takes three months to get the miles, which seems absurd, but consider that it can also take eight weeks to get the bonus miles during a DEQM promo. We all hate it, but it is what it is.

I said this about 200 pages back in this thread, but I think it bears repeating: some of you folks need to take a step back and just breathe. Stop the panic and rumor-mongering. It's not helping. Of course, it wouldn't be FT without a little panic and lots of completely unfounded speculation; but, geez, people. Some of you are going to give yourselves heart attacks over this thing! Is any amount of miles worth that?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by 2millionquest
I really don't understand why ... ... ...
Preaching like the above is why the thread is over 200 pages, and was shut down for an extended period of time. I was hoping the restart would get rid of the morality police and allow this thread to stay manageable. As such, I kindly ask that we all try to refrain from posts like the above and stick to handling the matter at hand.

Please!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I also have nothing on my aadv shopping account even though I bought twice thru their portal. Have not received any email, but do have the Verizon products. Can't decide what to do next.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Aadvantage eshopping mall (not anymore)
Originally Posted by 2millionquest
I really don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp. And I do fault Cartera for not coming into this thread and stating this more clearly, don't get me wrong; but maybe they figure it's common sense, like I do. I don't know.

At any rate, there is no way for Cartera to know that you've made a purchase from Verizon (or any other merchant) UNTIL THAT MERCHANT NOTIFIES CARTERA OF YOUR PURCHASE. This process can take up to 45 days. It has only been 16 days since the mistake mileage offer showed up on the AA portal. Cartera, I think, is being very good about trying to figure out who made a purchase and quickly getting compensation to those people, but they can't read minds.

Those of you who haven't received an e-mail/PM from Cartera need to contact Cartera yourself. Verizon apparently did do it for some; but perhaps when they realized just how big this thing was, they decided to stop. Again, I don't know.

It appears to me that Verizon is playing the worst game here. Even though the mistake was Cartera's (as they have repeatedly admitted), Verizon could make things go more smoothly by reporting the purchases more quickly. Cartera is having to wade through this thread, threads on other sites, and their own server logs to try to identify those affected. That's a lot of work. One thing they could do -- but have evidently decided not to do for reasons I don't pretend to understand -- is comb their server logs, identify anyone who used their portal to go to Verizon's site during the time period the mistake was in effect, and then send those users a message something like, "We see your visited our portal on 10 August and went through to Verizon's site. If you made a purchase based on the mistake offer of 83K bonus miles, please send us a copy of your purchase confirmation, blah, blah." That would probably work a lot better than the hit-or-miss style they're currently using.

Based on the fact that more and more and more people keep coming out of the woodwork on just this thread alone and identifying themselves and their purchases (I don't very often read most other travel sites/blogs, but I know there are many more customers there as well), this thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger. And the more customers who did purchase, the more unlikely I believe it is that Cartera will ever give anybody more than 5K miles. I think those of you who are choosing to accept the 5K are being very smart. It's still going to cost Cartera quite a bit, but it's a fair, proportionate, and payable penalty for their mistake, IMO. I believe those who are holding out for more miles are going to be mightily disappointed, because how could any reasonable person expect Cartera to pay out the billions of miles that would cost and still stay solvent?

So write to Cartera and identify yourself as a customer affected by their mistake. Give them the info they need to confirm that you qualify for the 5K offer. And be patient -- these things take time.

No, I don't work for Cartera. No, I don't work for Verizon. No, I don't work for AA. I am a hobbyist programmer and website designer. I make my living in the legal field (though I'm not an attorney). I have been using the AA eShopping portal for years. I've made hundreds of purchases, and exactly two of them have had issues. TWO. Yes, it sometimes takes three months to get the miles, which seems absurd, but consider that it can also take eight weeks to get the bonus miles during a DEQM promo. We all hate it, but it is what it is.

I said this about 200 pages back in this thread, but I think it bears repeating: some of you folks need to take a step back and just breathe. Stop the panic and rumor-mongering. It's not helping. Of course, it wouldn't be FT without a little panic and lots of completely unfounded speculation; but, geez, people. Some of you are going to give yourselves heart attacks over this thing! Is any amount of miles worth that?
Great post......

Just as you believe the above (and essentially you are correct on many points), I believe that there are going to be many (exact numbers unknown) who will be caught between the no server log entry and Verizon refusing to confirm the purchase to Cartera. I am in this group. I sent an e-mail to Cartera....THEN they made the offer......then after nothing a second e-mail from me.....then a response for the Verizon order number.....then it gets stupid with a bunch more offers and a bunch more order number requests......blah, blah, blah....and this is for the 2,500 miles....nothing more.

I would still like to ask if anyone who is in this same loop as described in the previous paragraph has received any miles posted to their account? This is the key.....all this back and forth is a complete waste of time. If Verizon refuses to confirm the orders (as they feel it will take employee time to confirm spreadsheet order confirmation requests from Cartera)...and Cartera will not say "let's just credit the 2,500 to the people who have Verizon order numbers, although they do not appear on our server logs as having used the eShopping portal"....then even this 2,500 which was promised to people who contacted Cartera (those would be the ones not automatically contacted by Cartera without any e-mail to them first)....will not get the miles easily. Possibly, copies of "screenshots" with a cover letter in the future will get you the 2,500 miles. This is the mess that they have created. It will take work to get your 2,500 miles.....unless something else happens such as Cartera crediting without Verizon confirming or Verizon deciding to confirm.

There is no way, at this point, for someone with no investigative power in this to determine what exactly happened here (i.e. who is to blame) with any degree of accuracy. I think it is fair to say that this is a massive screw up by Cartera, a company that has very limited resources and management capability. I have bought into Verizon's defense (after telephone conversations on this issue). Cartera makes it impossible to get to any definitive end because in addition to their noted failings, I believe they are playing some sort of game with this.....reason unknown to me. Conjecture again......it might be very limited resources due to funding issues which makes the whole thing look very childish and poorly run. They (that would be the Ivy League management from website profile) might be making a hefty chunk of change from this operation and possibly there isn't much left to support a cohesive customer relations department....again, complete conjecture on my part based on the course of events I have experienced.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
I haven't received an email or PM saying that my miles aren't posting as planned. As far as I'm concerned, I'm expecting them to honor the deal until they notify me otherwise.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by onlybeef42
Preaching like the above is why the thread is over 200 pages, and was shut down for an extended period of time. I was hoping the restart would get rid of the morality police and allow this thread to stay manageable. As such, I kindly ask that we all try to refrain from posts like the above and stick to handling the matter at hand.

Please!
A lot of people who got involved in this are first-time e-shopping portal users. There is a boatload of misinformation in this thread. My lengthy post was my attempt to share my greater experience with those who have less experience. I thought that's what FT was all about: Sharing info and helping each other reach our goals. That's all I was trying to do, and I'm sorry you perceived that as preaching.

And BTW, the length of this thread has more to do with the same questions being asked over and over and over again than it does with the few pages of back-and-forth between me, people like me, and responses to us by other posters. I was hoping to help eliminate some of those ad nauseam repeated questions by trying to give useful info to people.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:39 pm

After inquiring as to the status of my order (and replying to a request for a copy of my order) I received the infamous PM from Kolanda. Although she recognized that people may have bought items they may not have wanted, I received the 2500/2500 offer but no statement that I could return he hockey puck that was in her earlier PM's to others. I have written asking if I could return the hockey puck. No reply yet.

Last edited by hoya68; Aug 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm Reason: corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.