[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by ironfist99
But here's a summary: Sign up for the AMEX personal on the phone, then VISA personal on the website. Do this the same day, otherwise you will be denied for the 2nd application due to "first time cardholder" requirements. Then after 90 days apply for the Business card. Doing this should give you 225K miles for $4500 in spend, amazing deal.
Thank you ironfist99, I assume you mean all from the first block of links? (the ones that say expired but working) since you say $4500 in spending (3x1500)
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tpr
That's what I wanted to do, but I couldn't due to a known issue with their online form.
Oh sorry, I do not know that.

Not to sweat about it, AA is very good in merging duplicate accounts. You can even do it over the phone from what I heard.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Well, I've read every post in this thread since the beginning, but I don't remember anyone reporting this happening. Or maybe I'm just having a hard time remembering all 4000+ posts...

I just applied for the 75K/$1500 Platinum Visa as an existing cardmember. I have a current Citi AA MC since Sept. 2009 and a current Citi Business Visa since Oct. 2010.
I get immediate approval.
But I am approved for the CitiGold Visa. Since I don't know how many miles I'm getting and what my spend requirement is, I called into 800-408-4311 and was told I have to wait until my card comes to find out.

I have a feeling that I am getting 30,000 miles with a $750 spend, because that's what's listed on Citi's credit card webpage for the Citigold Visa.
If anyone remembers this happening or has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

It's funny, because I was prepared for rejection and I was prepared for 75K success, but I was not prepared for a third alternative. Citi - always full of surprises!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
I just applied for the 75K/$1500 Platinum Visa as an existing cardmember. I have a current Citi AA MC since Sept. 2009 and a current Citi Business Visa since Oct. 2010.
I get immediate approval.
But I am approved for the CitiGold Visa. Since I don't know how many miles I'm getting and what my spend requirement is, I called into 800-408-4311 and was told I have to wait until my card comes to find out.
I think there are at least two others that had that happen. It was because they couldn't qualify for the minimum 5k credit limit for the visa platinum. That's why they got issued the Gold. They both got the promo they applied for.

Perhaps with your other Citi cards you are near the limit of what Citi wants to give.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
I think there are at least two others that had that happen. It was because they couldn't qualify for the minimum 5k credit limit for the visa platinum. That's why they got issued the Gold. They both got the promo they applied for.

Perhaps with your other Citi cards you are near the limit of what Citi wants to give.
Thanks Ddallas for the insight. Indeed, Citi did give me a credit limit of $4000 for this new VISA. Hopefully, I will still get the 75K...........
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: Lotz

I have a feeling that I am getting 30,000 miles with a $750 spend, because that's what's listed on Citi's credit card webpage for the Citigold Visa.
If anyone remembers this happening or has any insight, I'd appreciate it
The minimum credit line for the Visa Signature is $5K. There was some discussion about this and some went with the AmEx because it can have a lower limit.

I assume they refused to move any credit line over to get you to 5K on this. May be worth a try if you didn't ask and if in fact the gold has a lower bonus.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:50 pm
inY

Got bonus with gold

Originally Posted by tassojunior
The minimum credit line for the Visa Signature is $5K. There was some discussion about this and some went with the AmEx because it can have a lower limit.

I assume they refused to move any credit line over to get you to 5K on this. May be worth a try if you didn't ask and if in fact the gold has a lower bonus.
I was issued the Gold when the original offer was active. Got the 75k with my statement following $1500 spend.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I would have applied for the AMEX had the online application still been available. I didn't want to deal with doing it over the phone. But I am happy with a 4000 spending limit.

Originally Posted by inY
I was issued the Gold when the original offer was active. Got the 75k with my statement following $1500 spend.
Thanks inY for sharing your experience. Makes it easier for me to wait and trust. You've helped me remember that Citi is almost always good about giving us what we applied for.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:41 am

So anyone have any luck getting this 2x for the same card since this offer began?

Just being greedy, but the bonus is just that amazing I was approved on or around 8/12/10, got my bonus and would love to double dip. I have the business 100K, visa 75K, amex 75K approved.

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Another data point:

No previous Citi AA cards (or any Citi cards)
Personal MC 30k/? approved July 2010,
Personal Amex 75k/1500 denied Oct 2010 (already cardholder denial),
Business Visa 75k/1500 approved Oct 2010,
Personal Visa 75k/4000 denied Feb 2011 (already cardholder denial)

Giving up on the 75k personal offers, thought that the 4k offer might give me a better chance.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by bubb1
Another data point:

No previous Citi AA cards (or any Citi cards)
Personal MC 30k/? approved July 2010,
Personal Amex 75k/1500 denied Oct 2010 (already cardholder denial),
Business Visa 75k/1500 approved Oct 2010,
Personal Visa 75k/4000 denied Feb 2011 (already cardholder denial)

Giving up on the 75k personal offers, thought that the 4k offer might give me a better chance.
Try after 1 year from MC issue date. That's what happened with me.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:25 am

I would say that it is 98% clear that Citi will not give anyone additional personal cards unless their existing cards are more than one year old. There are always exceptions, but it seems to me that Citi at least wants to see you keep your card over a year before they will consider you for a new one.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I would say that it is 98% clear that Citi will not give anyone additional personal cards unless their existing cards are more than one year old. There are always exceptions, but it seems to me that Citi at least wants to see you keep your card over a year before they will consider you for a new one.
I have known at least 2 cases that are NOT in your 98%. Maybe that's the 2% you are thinking.

Up thread, it was mentioned that the look back period is about 9 months. That seems to match with my experience.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smidget
So anyone have any luck getting this 2x for the same card since this offer began?

Just being greedy, but the bonus is just that amazing I was approved on or around 8/12/10, got my bonus and would love to double dip. I have the business 100K, visa 75K, amex 75K approved.

Thanks!
I have both the 100k and the 75k ($1,500) Visa Sig

So it is possible
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
I have both the 100k and the 75k ($1,500) Visa Sig

So it is possible
Thanks for the response and giving some hope What was the timeline of your approvals and any other addtl cards? Nevermind, looks like the 100K personal cards are gone... maybe 75K business would work...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.