Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:45 pm

Just wanted to give an update. Wife called 888-201-4523 today answered a few questions and was approved for the AMEX.

So to review:

She applied for AMEX on phone and VISA online sunday. Approved automatically for VISA, defered for AMEX.

Called monday, and got the deffered AMEX approved.

This goes against expereinces others have had, so YMMV.

Both cards should be here in 7-10 days. Will update if something changes.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:20 pm

So I called in to apply for the Visa Signature at first, was told will get a decision in writing. Called soon after and specifically said I want to apply for the AMEX card, went through the process, then the rep came back on the line saying the system shows I have previously applied for this card and the application cannot be processed, I will get a decision regarding my initial application in writing.

I called 800-408-4311 for both to apply. Did they catch on to this, or did the rep mess something up and maybe process it as a Visa for my 2nd call? Though she didn't mention anything in the terms regarding the Visa verbiage like the 1st call. Should I call back or what? Ugh... didn't go as smooth as I had hoped.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hibiki Rush
So I called in to apply for the Visa Signature at first, was told will get a decision in writing. Called soon after and specifically said I want to apply for the AMEX card, went through the process, then the rep came back on the line saying the system shows I have previously applied for this card and the application cannot be processed, I will get a decision regarding my initial application in writing.

I called 800-408-4311 for both to apply. Did they catch on to this, or did the rep mess something up and maybe process it as a Visa for my 2nd call? Though she didn't mention anything in the terms regarding the Visa verbiage like the 1st call. Should I call back or what? Ugh... didn't go as smooth as I had hoped.
To avoid this from happening we applied for the AMEX on the phone first and the VISA online. It is important to do the AMEX on the phone since the link no longer works with the promo code (although there is a link to an APP w/o the offer code that people on FW claim works, but YMMV). If they didnt' actually start the APP for AMEX, you still may be able to sign up for that card using the FW link. If they did start the application process, you are stuck with Citi's 2 apps in 90 day restriction and will be automatically declined.

Also, for the VISA, I suggest you call 888-201-4523 to obtain your Application ID, and then call the number listed on the 2nd post of this thread to try and negotiate approval. From my experience decision in writing is usually a denial, whereas the "under further review" and "we will call you in 5-7 days" is usual a deferral, which for me has resulted in them requesting more finicial informaion (on the phone) before they will give an approval.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ironfist99
To avoid this from happening we applied for the AMEX on the phone first and the VISA online. It is important to do the AMEX on the phone since the link no longer works with the promo code (although there is a link to an APP w/o the offer code that people on FW claim works, but YMMV). If they didnt' actually start the APP for AMEX, you still may be able to sign up for that card using the FW link. If they did start the application process, you are stuck with Citi's 2 apps in 90 day restriction and will be automatically declined.

Also, for the VISA, I suggest you call 888-201-4523 to obtain your Application ID, and then call the number listed on the 2nd post of this thread to try and negotiate approval. From my experience decision in writing is usually a denial, whereas the "under further review" and "we will call you in 5-7 days" is usual a deferral, which for me has resulted in them requesting more finicial informaion (on the phone) before they will give an approval.
Thanks for the helpful info. Wish I knew about the possibility of the phone app picking up the previous app... Either way I went ahead and applied through the online AMEX link with 4k required spending. Also requires review so will call in and see...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Many
Got both - and with lower spend

I got the AMEX online about four weeks ago, and applied for the Visa business card about 20 days later online. I was deferred for that, but sent them a letter explaining my business plan. Not only was I approved, but the spend requirement was set at $1,500, without my even asking, rather than the $4,000 stated at the website when I applied. So I'm getting 150,000 miles with a total spend of $4,000 on the AMEX and $1,500 on the Visa.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
I went and applied for both the Visa and the AmExp cards via the phone. I called earlier in the day for the Visa and then later for the AmExp. According to the people I spoke to, both are suppose to be the 75K miles with $1500. I will see if I get both rewards.

The most annoying thing was listening to the reps read all of the agreement stuff. I see why I rarely ever apply for anything via the phone. They both had accents but it was hard to determine where they were located.

I'm not really an AA flyer but 75K or hopefully 150K miles is hard to say no to, especially for such a small spending amount.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richinaz
I went and applied for both the Visa and the AmExp cards via the phone. I called earlier in the day for the Visa and then later for the AmExp. According to the people I spoke to, both are suppose to be the 75K miles with $1500. I will see if I get both rewards.

The most annoying thing was listening to the reps read all of the agreement stuff. I see why I rarely ever apply for anything via the phone. They both had accents but it was hard to determine where they were located.

I'm not really an AA flyer but 75K or hopefully 150K miles is hard to say no to, especially for such a small spending amount.
By LAW they have to read you the full Ts and Cs. If you dont like that, you can always apply online... But since you cannot, then you have to let them do their job which they are required to do.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:53 pm

Applied for the Personal visa and was denied but the reason given was you already have the max credit limit allowed. Hence, I called to and asked if a portion of the credit line can be moved over to this new card so there is no net increase in Credit limit but got denied again.

I then offered to cancel 1 of the cards I currently have and they asked me to contact customer service first to cancel the card and reiterated that there is no guarantee whether this application will get approved.

Is there any other trick to try to get them to issue the new card?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:49 am

For those looking to do both personal applications under the 75k/$1500 spend offer(s), I'd advise applying for the Amex one FIRST on the PHONE, then the Visa one second, online. I'm not sure if the current Amex online application is working (I've heard mixed answers on various online forums.) But the Visa one is working (or at least it was a few days ago, when I applied.)

Kniwing this, I applied for the Amex offer first on the phone. I then applied for the Visa offer on the phone, but was told (AFTER the entire application process) that I could not apply for the same offer again (even though they're different csrds, they consider it the same offer.) I'm not sure if they did a pull on me before that or not, but I'd guess not. But they did go all the way through the process to the point where they'd be checking for instant approval, before telling me that I couldn't get the offer twice, so I'm not sure if they disallowed the application before or after doing a pull.

But I decided what the heck, and did the online application for the Visa, and it went through.

Both applications were deferred because I already had sevweral large credit lines on several different cards with Citi. In both cases, when I called, I offered right away to let them move available credit form another account to a new one. With the phone Amex one, they deferred me again, but then approved me less than 12 hours later. With the online Visa application, the agent was then able to immediately approve me, minutes after I applied online. She saw my other application (the phone one, which was still pending), and offered to cancel it, but I said I'd prefer that she didn't!

Both cards arrived in the mail today, as did separate approval letters telling me that the cards would be arriving soon!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: AA PLT
This should have come as no surprise to me, but I had forgotten I still had an extended fraud alert (7 years) on my file due to actual identity theft when I was in college. When I applied over the phone for the Visa it was instantly deferred. I called the next day to check on my application and as I was doing that, someone from the "Bankcard Center" called me to verify the authenticity of my app. Was approved at that time with a tiny credit limit (somewhat offensive for an 812 FICO) but it was explained to me anyone with fraud alerts receive...special...treatment, which I suppose I appreciate. I moved some CL from another Citi card to the AA so I can actually use it to buy tickets to somewhere other than LA -> PHX

For those commenting on CSR accents, their call center is in Mumbai and the Bankcard center is in Sioux Falls, a fact that was told to me three seconds after the rep told me his name.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by johnep1
... I think the best course of action with these cards is to just apply for two or three and hope for the best. ...
Incorrect, the third will be denied if applied at the same time as the other two.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:17 am

[QUOTE=Hibiki Rush;15768367]I am considering doing the 2 personal card applications in one day, but have a question if it is recommended to do either of them in a specific order? Not sure if it matters but was going to apply for Visa first then Amex.

Back in October I applied online for the visa and Amex back to back starting with the visa. I got approved instantly for the visa. I immediately applied for the amex after that and when I submitted the application the wheel just kept spinning and I never got my online confirmation. However a few days later both cards came in the mail. My 150,000 bonus miles have already posted to my account. A few weeks later I did the same for my wife, same exact thing happened and her 150,000 have posted as well. So good luck
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: USAirways CP
Originally Posted by Happy
By LAW they have to read you the full Ts and Cs. If you dont like that, you can always apply online... But since you cannot, then you have to let them do their job which they are required to do.
Yeah I know that. It doesn't make it any less annoying. I know it wouldn't be practical but it would be nicer if it was a recording done by a professional.

And, yes, it is another reason to avoid calling and doing it online when possible. Less communication issues and errors. I tried using words for some easily misunderstood letters (to differentiate between B and D, M and N, etc.) and on the first call the lady was completely confused.

At least I got the email confirmations of my account openings so I think things were successful. No pain (sometimes) = no gain.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: aa, spg
Really sorry if this has been discussed already, I coundnt find it.

I just applied for the Business Visa and got to step 5. Can I call the same number as for the personal cards to see whats up or should I just sit tight and wait?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Any Advice?

I have an AA Visa (going on a year or two) so I went for the personal Amex and got the following:

"Thank you [xlax]. We have received your application and further processing is required at this time. We will contact you within a week via email regarding our decision. If approved, be sure to visit citicards.com to register for free online services. Thank you for requesting a Citi Select® / AAdvantage® American Express® card."

I'd be happy to lower the credit line on my AA Visa to get this one. Should I call and see what I can find out, offer to reduce the other one, or sit tight for a week?

xlax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.