Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
If YQ on your desired routing is only 30 % then YQ dumping will not do much .
groovyfly likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Feb 26, 2018 at 4:39 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by bartas8891
C2-C3 , London Bus , $479 - Priceline

Still there ?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Old FT hand here. I've been off FT for a few years (starting a family got in the way), but I'm trying to get back up to speed on the FD/trick it methods. I'm currently trying to trim the fat from NYC-LHR flights and not having any luck with my old bag of tricks. Any suggestions via PM truly welcomed.

Thanks!
E
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gopherblue
Old FT hand here. I've been off FT for a few years (starting a family got in the way), but I'm trying to get back up to speed on the FD/trick it methods. I'm currently trying to trim the fat from NYC-LHR flights and not having any luck with my old bag of tricks. Any suggestions via PM truly welcomed.

Thanks!
E
Reading recent postings on exactly that subject is a good way to start.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 6:25 am

Can someone please tell me how to find these tickets? I already searching for this ticket almost 3 months. Please send me PS and explain all this with C1 - C2; C2-C2. Please,

Thank you
Old Mar 2, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Tinder Plus
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Still there ?
No, I am afraid
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:13 pm

I've found a $5.00 fare $300 odd YR/YQ C2-C1 OW for summer - but having zero luck at the moment. If anyone has any thoughts, please hit me up via PM.

Fare rules below (couldn't see in the forum rules if this was an issue or not....) Removed regions and airline name.

10.COMBINATIONS
SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT
PERMITTED.
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH FARES WITHIN
C1. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE
TRIPS PERMITTED WITH NO RESTRICTIONS.
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH AIRLINE DOMESTIC/
INTERNATIONAL FARES. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS.
SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED WITH NO RESTRICTIONS.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY ROUND TRIP FARE.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:18 am

Hi everyone,

I've been a member of the forum for a while now and despite my many attempts at trying to master the skill, my results have never been as good as most people here (but I never give up!). I am reaching out to you as you are obviously more experienced than me and I hope you can give me hand. Feel free to point me to a different thread if you feel my request does not fit in here.

I need to buy a very specific R/T C4-C2 direct on BA but the price is ridiculous (I didn't want to post the exact cities and dates unless you think it's ok). I've noticed I can bring it down slightly by adding a 3rd leg to a neighboring country but I wonder if there is something else I should be trying. I know there might be lots of other options for the same route but unfortunately I cannot choose, the best I could do it change the return date +1 day. Can anyone give me a hint on how I could bring this cost down? I've tried everything I could think of with very poor results, so in the end I thought I'd ask the experts as a last resort. Thank you a lot in advance.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: M&M, *G, IHG Platinium Ambassador
C2-C3 164€ rt

Last edited by wntl; Mar 6, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:11 am

Hi all, new member here, wanted to learn more about these tricks !
I was able to re-produce some of the previous tricks posted (e.g. CA ~50% dump C2 - C3 with 3x, I think still can be trim down but the question is how ).

Any more tips for me to work on or anyone kind enough to advice me via PM ?

Last edited by Pat89339; Mar 26, 2018 at 12:34 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by mfelice
Hi everyone,

I've been a member of the forum for a while now and despite my many attempts at trying to master the skill, my results have never been as good as most people here (but I never give up!). I am reaching out to you as you are obviously more experienced than me and I hope you can give me hand. Feel free to point me to a different thread if you feel my request does not fit in here.

I need to buy a very specific R/T C4-C2 direct on BA but the price is ridiculous (I didn't want to post the exact cities and dates unless you think it's ok). I've noticed I can bring it down slightly by adding a 3rd leg to a neighboring country but I wonder if there is something else I should be trying. I know there might be lots of other options for the same route but unfortunately I cannot choose, the best I could do it change the return date +1 day. Can anyone give me a hint on how I could bring this cost down? I've tried everything I could think of with very poor results, so in the end I thought I'd ask the experts as a last resort. Thank you a lot in advance.
A couple tips
1) Read the fare rules, re-read them, and read them until you memorize them and understand them, and what every single rule means.
2) Based on rules, and based on tips here, now you know how to trick it.
3) In the end, not all flights can be fully dumped, and to maximize gains, you need flexibility. If you have specific needs (like hard-coded dates or airports,)_ chances are you won't get the best deal.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by tomasdev
A couple tips
1) Read the fare rules, re-read them, and read them until you memorize them and understand them, and what every single rule means.
2) Based on rules, and based on tips here, now you know how to trick it.
3) In the end, not all flights can be fully dumped, and to maximize gains, you need flexibility. If you have specific needs (like hard-coded dates or airports,)_ chances are you won't get the best deal.
Thank you. I have read the fare rules a few times but I can't seem to get them to play them to my advantage (or I'm doing something wrong of course). So far, my best trick is nothing as suggested by the rules. I am not trying to bring it down by a 100% but a modest improvement would be appreciated. I need to buy two tickets without breaking the bank :-(
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mfelice
Hi everyone,

Asking the Question correctly and precisely is often 80 % of the Answer. Have you checked if there is a even any YQ included in your price.? Otherwise use award C4-C2 ( often with New York/Miami free stop-over ) and then 92,30 C2-C4 OW
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Asking the Question correctly and precisely is often 80 % of the Answer. Have you checked if there is a even any YQ included in your price.? Otherwise use award C4-C2 ( often with New York/Miami free stop-over ) and then 92,30 C2-C4 OW
Thank you. There's indeed $342 YQ. Base fares are already high, but that's expected in these circumstances. I am coming to the conclusion that nothing can be done on BA (at least *I* never had luck with it).
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:31 pm

I see a lot of people are able to dump CA with a 3x. I am ready to book an itinerary on CA with a 3x. Any bad experience with this airline with tricked tickets?
Did Online Check-In work to your final destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.