Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Whether I try to combine 1x or 3x with fare T2KXPUS1 on EK, it reprices into a fully flex YRTUS7 fare. I have tried many 1x/3x before with no luck. The only thing I can think of is if within the T inventory there is another fare basis with a slightly higher bf which dumps, but I cannot find it.

See if you have any luck with DTW > DEL with AC or Swiss I found a BF of $57 - There are 2 YQ's on it though 1 from AC and 1 from LX

YQ surcharge (YQ)
$270.00

I don't think the rules allow EoE - so scratch that

Looking to get my feet wet finding my first dump. Any help would be XOXOXO

Last edited by Eagleized; Dec 8, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:50 pm

Just Some General Questions....

when you guys say all inclusive you mean it's like flexy fare?
I Mean is it possible to dump a fair that you can cancel? let's say i've found a good dump in two month from now... but im not sure i'll take any of the flights and in 2 or 3 weeks i will know if i'll go for the trip or no. No problem with booking and then cancelling? (of course if it's possible to do so without a fee)
Generally, are fares that allow only End on end combinations within some areas, without any other combination allowed (Side trips, OJ etc.), are these dumpable?
And last general questions... i've seen a lot of people recommend to use the ITA but it's slow and a bit messy. It's useful to check the fare rules and everything, but hard for me to find a working 3x on this. Any recommendation for powerful yet more easy engines?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eagleized
quick question:

how often are you ( anyone here) using google flights to search for your FDs?

Or are you only using aggregators ?
GF is good for quick searches, but it uses ITA (google bought it), which has much more option, and tells more about fares. But basically the results are the same.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by e30st
... but it uses ITA (google bought it), which has much more option, and tells more about fares. But basically the results are the same.
Not true, the are a world of differences between Google Flights and ITA Matrix, and the results are by far not the same.
This starts with the fact that Goof knows "airports" the matrix doesn't, that Goof offers "Separate tickets" which the matrix doesn't, that Goof uses a cache and not the live availability data and and and
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:28 am

Learning

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
I thought your posting was perfectly fine. Please do not be intimidated by the angle biting wolfs. Several of their own "super special secret" tricks ( such as the "......." strike" ) are very old. Tricks come and go - and come back again. Even the "Northern Neighbor" worked for a good while during 2016.

and to all the Doomsday Prophets and Nay Sayers:

Except for the really early days of FD-ing, there are probably as many working 3X , 1Xs, OJs, DOJs and "Sandwich " deals now as there has ever been. Only problem is that the they tend to last shorter.
There is actually a HUGE one which the algorithms of the blogs have not caught - yet - and most interestingly for those who think that airlines learn from their past mistakes, this miscoding is almost identical to one I have a screenshot of from 2014.

Its a mix of a NON-YQ Fare basis and a fully loaded YQ/ ultra low base fare basis.
Mix the Two and resulting combination is YQ free. Resulting itinerary is fully bookable on Expedia.
I'm interested in learning more about this. Can you please send me on a treasure hunt.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
I have 2 questions for some of the more experienced folks..

1) The fare rules of the 3X allow for cancellation and 50% refund. If booked with an OTA (but ticketed on the main carrier), is it safe to pursue after the main trip is over and done with? I am guessing not but wanted to check..

2) My next trip has $100+ in taxes (US customs/landing, Japan customs etc). I seem to recall way back in time there was some discussion on creative ways to drop those off. True? Should I pursue on that front?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I need 3x preferably for UA (or *A) for flights from US to Europe. In exchange I can give you dump for QR. PM if you want to trade.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
C1 - Golf of Guinea One-way with stop over

C1-C2a1 Stopover C2a2 - C5(Golf of Guinea) 132,55 € All-in One-Way

Round trip 212,78 € All-in.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Dec 8, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
I have 2 questions for some of the more experienced folks..

1) The fare rules of the 3X allow for cancellation and 50% refund. If booked with an OTA (but ticketed on the main carrier), is it safe to pursue after the main trip is over and done with? I am guessing not but wanted to check..

2) My next trip has $100+ in taxes (US customs/landing, Japan customs etc). I seem to recall way back in time there was some discussion on creative ways to drop those off. True? Should I pursue on that front?
No, it is about as smart as calling the airline and asking if they will honor the mistake fare for you
Yes, there are ways to reduce taxes
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
AC TLV-BOS $ 382.40 All-in R/T. Bookable with trick on SkyTours
3X or 1X?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: "
C1-C2 40€ oneway

C1-C2 40€ oneway
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Unreal Now € 32.20

C1-C3 € 107.76 Round Trip All-in.
C1-C2 € 39.92 One-way All-in..
Now

C1-C2 Round Trip All-in € 95.95

or

C1-C2 One-Way All-in € 32.20

using optimal dates.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Dec 9, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:15 am

Interested

C1-C2a1 Stopover C2a2 - C5(Golf of Guinea) 132,55 € All-in One-Way

Round trip 212,78 € All-in.
How do you add the stopover to the itinerary??

Is it as simple as booking multi destination and adding a few extra days at the layover airport?

The correct way of doing this confuses me.

Can you PM me some hints for this one WWE? Thanks!

Last edited by Eagleized; Dec 10, 2016 at 12:31 am
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:06 am

Funny fix and a great oppurtunity to enter in the TOP dumpers history:
The biz mistake now has 5k€ YQ
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by jorun
Funny fix and a great oppurtunity to enter in the TOP dumpers history:
The biz mistake now has 5k€ YQ

It was/is a dumpable fare. Maybe put a HK segment in front, most euros segments didn't dump it a lot.

But I decide not to be at the airport this morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.