Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ABQ2ATL
Go ahead and state your target route... coding it will make responses less likely (and is unnecessary, since the trick is the "secret" part ).

Look at the fare rules: is "END-ON-END PERMITTED"? If not, cutting fat will be practically impossible...

While I don't claim to be an expert, I quickly learned that the fare rules are your friend... aside from making fuel dumps possible in some cases, they can also allow for very creative itineraries!
Target route is SFO-CPH-SFO on SK

End-on-end is permitted.

However, the rules state:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED. VALIDATE ALL FARE
COMPONENTS. FARES MUST BE SHOWN SEPARATELY ON THE
TICKET. TRAVEL MUST BE VIA THE POINT OF COMBINATION.
SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.
PROVIDED -
COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER WF WITHIN NORWAY

Does this mean a point of combination of CPH would not be trimmable?

Edit: After playing around with SFO-OSL-SFO routes and adding WF segments, this does not seem to work.

Last edited by gpen1827; Oct 24, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: Brooks Beta Runner
Originally Posted by Schaapje
Hi all, been reading for days on end now on these threads. Have been learning a lot, thanks for that. Currently looking to fly from Brussels to Bangkok RT December 15th, returning January 1st (or around that date anyway).
Despite all the knowledge that I've soaked up, I haven't quite been able to dump these flights and I'm getting antsy. Seeing the flight prices go up daily and seeing them near 800-900 euro range is making me nervous because we cannot afford that...

So... anyone got any interesting pointers? If anyone were to PM with a good suggestion or at least an interesting price, I'm sure we could work something out...
Fly emirates. According to matrix there may still be some tickets at e587. Study the thread and maybe you'll have something in time for a spring holiday.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: M&M, EC BA
Originally Posted by flylonghaul
I believe with this technique €75.71 is possible also

Nice work.
When You try You can found for 70€ RT
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:53 am

Hi all, been reading for days on end now on these threads. Have been learning a lot, thanks for that. Currently looking to fly from Brussels to Bangkok RT December 15th, returning January 1st (or around that date anyway).
Despite all the knowledge that I've soaked up, I haven't quite been able to dump these flights and I'm getting antsy. Seeing the flight prices go up daily and seeing them near 800-900 euro range is making me nervous because we cannot afford that...

So... anyone got any interesting pointers? If anyone were to PM with a good suggestion or at least an interesting price, I'm sure we could work something out...
NEVER, and I mean really NEVER, buy a tricked ticket that in an untricked version you can not afford. I have no idea what exactly you have been reading for days, but most definitely not this thread because if that was the case, you would have already been aware. Worst case the carrier might collect the missing YQ or even forse (deny boarding and forcing you de facto to buy a last minute full fare). You can counter this part by making sure to dispose of a good amount of miles as a backup plan.

As HRH airboss already stated: if you still have to plan for Xmas ( busiest time a year to fly) you are already very late (as in too late) for regular fares and deals, let alone for tricks.

Anyway: don't focus on your home airport. Must be one of the saddest airports within the EU anyway . There are plenty of airports within 250 miles from BRU. You will have to be a bit flexible. Screen AMS, DUS, FRA, CDG and other airports that are only a short positioning flight away.

Last edited by Epicura; Oct 25, 2015 at 8:10 am Reason: You know why ;)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by ivan85
When You try You can found for 70€ RT
and even in that case you are still paying way too much but what's the f...ing point anyway? If you, big boys, really are up for a D contest, do yourself and the FD community a favor and start with a routing that doesn't require an expensive positioning flight, let alone a VISA for 99,999.... % of C2.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:40 am

You can find regular fares on Expedia for less than USD $500 without any tricks just a little off from your dates and to those airports. I'd book them if I were you.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Currently looking to fly from Brussels to Bangkok RT December 15th, returning January 1st (or around that date anyway).
Welcome to FT, but I think you should keep reading as fare requests are not allowed.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Avios - M&M - Senator - FLYBLU
C2-C6 with Melbourne on the itinerary 365,79€

C2-C6 with Melbourne on the itinerary 365,79€. total

If you are a repeat Aussia Flyer you can really do well.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:33 am

UK to a C5 Capital City for less than £1 Round Trip!

Based on 1 person traveling its available on a few specific OTA's for less than £1 RT.. Special Card!

Less than £5 RT.. no card required at all through to payment page at that price!

Last edited by Flying4less; Oct 25, 2015 at 7:39 am
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Flying4less
Based on 1 person traveling its available on a few specific OTA's for less than £1 RT.. Special Card!

Less than £5 RT.. no card required at all through to payment page at that price!
Super nice trick . ^

Unfortunately, I have to pay little bit more than you.

I have to pay a horrible $ 10.64 All-in R/T C2 (n) to Marrakech.

I know - I am so careless with my money. :-(

I will leave baby at home though.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Oct 25, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by BlueSmurf
C2-C6 with Melbourne on the itinerary 365,79€. total

If you are a repeat Aussia Flyer you can really do well.
Dates?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Super nice trick . ^

Unfortunately, I have to pay little bit more than you.

I have to pay a horrible $ 10.64 All-in R/T C2 (n) to Marrakech.

I know - I am so careless with my money. :-(

I will leave baby at home though.

Thanks It sure is a nice trick.. Ive used it several times!

The best part being it means the possiblity of virtually free flights in many parts of the world.. Ive used it successfully in C3 also.

Some of the OTAs allow for hotels to be combined in with the price meaning very low All in price including Hotels

I'm sure itll be worth all that time you've spent saving up those pennies when you are there haha!

Yeah no need for kids/baby lol

We will have to tighten our purse strings from now on ^

Last edited by Flying4less; Oct 25, 2015 at 7:28 pm
Old Oct 25, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $

447 Euro all in was my first try from an airport aprox 300km away from/to you. And exactly the dates you are looking for.
If you are looking for deals much less than that, you are to late, because the BF booking classes are sold out, and/or the farerules require booking 60 days in advance. 2 weeks ago, you got it for less than 400 Euro on the dates you are looking for, with a worldclass airline aprox 200km from BRU
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Nothing to gain by calling the airline. After their fees and repricing, there won't be much left for you, if anything at all.

By protecting the trick, you could benefit more out of it over and over in future. That is in addition to any benefits for the rest of the community.

This situation is different from an irrop. In those cases, you'd be just one of the hundreds if not thousands being processed in a hurry. Right now you'd be the only one under microscope for agents with all the time in the world on their hands.

It happens to all of us. Take a deep breath and move on. Find another flight, another trick.
thanks for the insights. I guess it makes no sense to call the airline.

hopefully I'll find another trick that I can actually use now that I'm reading this forum more often.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by bertheike
447 Euro all in was my first try from an airport aprox 300km away from/to you. And exactly the dates you are looking for.
If you are looking for deals much less than that, you are to late, because the BF booking classes are sold out, and/or the farerules require booking 60 days in advance. 2 weeks ago, you got it for less than 400 Euro on the dates you are looking for, with a worldclass airline aprox 200km from BRU
Just looked up their ratings; I had no idea they were that reputable of an airline.

I think his/her home airport works too if you change the dates a tiny bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.