FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

IancoleTX Apr 1, 2015 9:43 am

Esteemed FDers, I am seeking your assistance.

I am trying to book a trip for mom, dad, brother for little brother's graduation and family's first time abroad. Very flexible in terms, seeking roughly 2 week itinerary in July originating IAH (or AUS, DAL if savings) and O/J to any two points in or around Germany that are a good distance apart, example DUS/VIE or MUC/MXP, etc, but very flexible. If anyone can help me cut some fat for my family's budget I would truly appreciate it, not opposed to fair compensation for anyone's time - I respect how much work some of you have put into learning this craft. Please PM if you can help, thanks kindly for the consideration.

DeJar Apr 1, 2015 10:04 am

Originally Posted by IancoleTX (Post 24600295)

I am trying to book a trip for mom, dad, brother for little brother's graduation and family's first time abroad. Very flexible in terms, seeking roughly 2 week itinerary in July originating IAH (or AUS, DAL if savings) and O/J to any two points in or around Germany that are a good distance apart, example DUS/VIE or MUC/MXP, etc, but very flexible. If anyone can help me cut some fat for my family's budget I would truly appreciate it, not opposed to fair compensation for anyone's time - I respect how much work some of you have put into learning this craft. Please PM if you can help, thanks kindly for the consideration.

I would not send family on a tricked itinerary - things can go wrong. How about playing the credit card signup bonus game instead? There isn't a lot of time and they will be flying in the peak season, so you might just have to bite the bullet and pay what the airlines want.

buck3y3nut Apr 1, 2015 10:10 am

Originally Posted by DeJar (Post 24600411)
I would not send family on a tricked itinerary - things can go wrong. How about playing the credit card signup bonus game instead? There isn't a lot of time and they will be flying in the peak season, so you might just have to bite the bullet and pay what the airlines want.

Agree on this! When things go wrong, they go WRONG! Are you and your family willing to accept risks (such as getting tickets canceled) and not flying to your bro's graduation?

I also recommend the credit card sign up bonus and booking tickets using miles. At least you could save up on one or two tickets.

IancoleTX Apr 1, 2015 10:13 am

I am very familiar with the CC game and have miles for my and wife's travel plans next year, but parents are from small town, self-employed, and do not have sufficient credit history/score for signups/MS. Good thought though.

benberg2013 Apr 1, 2015 10:20 am

.... How about playing the credit card signup bonus game instead? .....

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut (Post 24600445)
I also recommend the credit card sign up bonus and booking tickets using miles.

I played this churning game good and proper, and stayed in a certain Waldorf Astoria (will rename nameless until I receive the compensation) and left all my cards in the room, which included 16 credit cards and around 20 airline and hotel cards, and cleaners took 2 credit cards, and numbers of some more, so I had to cancel all of them... i'm still in the middle of claiming compensation... its a long story....

In short, if you play this game of churning, be extra careful with all the cards, or just leave them safe at home.

cvision Apr 1, 2015 10:26 am

I was playing around with the allowed routing on a now gone O fare between TXL-ORD.
However, what bothers me is that apparantly there are no O or even Q fares showing up on expertflyer for that route, e.g. on her majesty's carrier or any else.
Is that maybe due to the "ticketing date", since the last O fare expired bc of the sales restriction, or do they just don't have any O/Q fares? In addition, that fare was good for trips in early 2016, so why stop selling it now?

Deltahater Apr 1, 2015 12:02 pm

I just paid $198 for IAH-CPH in August. Air Berlin is your European friend

QEternity Apr 1, 2015 1:33 pm

There are some things in life worth paying full price for. This is one of them.

A ruined vacation is easily forgotten and replaced. A missed graduation is not.

IancoleTX Apr 1, 2015 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by QEternity (Post 24601675)
There are some things in life worth paying full price for. This is one of them.

A ruined vacation is easily forgotten and replaced. A missed graduation is not.

This is to celebrate a graduation, not to make it to one. Full price tickets are at least $1300 each, and that is a great deal of money to them. If the trip failed, it can always be rebought for a couple weeks later. I understand the risks. Appreciate any help in this area, thank you.

Calgary88 Apr 1, 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by liber (Post 24599596)
C2s-C3 214€ October (not quite straight)

200€ with special card

OW available 236€.

:)

~ cannot find your special VIP card?

spartan301 Apr 1, 2015 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013 (Post 24600498)
I played this churning game good and proper, and stayed in a certain Waldorf Astoria (will rename nameless until I receive the compensation) and left all my cards in the room, which included 16 credit cards and around 20 airline and hotel cards, and cleaners took 2 credit cards, and numbers of some more, so I had to cancel all of them... i'm still in the middle of claiming compensation... its a long story....

In short, if you play this game of churning, be extra careful with all the cards, or just leave them safe at home.

My god, man- why would you carry all those cards with you?!? That's just asking for trouble!

dominick Apr 1, 2015 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by spartan301 (Post 24602091)
My god, man- why would you carry all those cards with you?!? That's just asking for trouble!

^

nwa330 Apr 1, 2015 9:17 pm

Looks like JFK-SIN has a good fare going right now. Was able to get it for $500 on first try. I'm sure it can go lower. Not the cheapest I've seen but not bad either. Normally from IAH I can do much better.

avi1985 Apr 1, 2015 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by wntl (Post 24593283)
C2 - bog - 125 €
c2 - bkk - 169 €
st

Hi everybody

I red this forum and thread for the last 2 month and I really appreciate another hint here or in PM. I really want to surprise my wife for her birthday.
I found the flights but couldn't find the 3X.
Did you find it on ITA or OTA?

thanks

WingedWorldExplorer Apr 2, 2015 6:23 am

Just love looking at his

United is now listing the DOLLAR value of flights together with Miles earned in the MP Account..
For flights taken before cross-over to Revenue Based the picture is very stark and telling. Chiao UA. See Ya.