FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

Neil791 Apr 6, 2015 1:05 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 24622396)
Looking to dump YUL-CMN or nearby but unable to find appropriate dessert. Any tips appreciated. Thanks

You're going to have to be a bit more specific about dates, carrier, and of course what you've done yourself to get to this point before you're going to see much of a response.

Its not an unfriendly place (despite what some might think) but you're not going to get a community to do all the planning and thinking on your behalf

Steve_Kenyon Apr 6, 2015 5:06 am

Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn (Post 24622180)
Hi all. Looking for some help or a good hint with the following:

WAS-KWI via_ek. BF is 162 and YQ is...584. Looking at the rules, I thought an appetizer was possible but I can't seem to get one to work. Frankly, I have better flyable options with a dessert or some other dish after this one, as I'm planning to spend euros, pesos and reais this summer.

I think the issue here will be getting an OTA to reproduce a dumped fare. Plenty of candidate 1x's.

QEternity Apr 6, 2015 6:35 am

maxvor Apr 6, 2015 8:22 am

Guys, I wonder if anybody could help me understanding latest Pizza-to-Sushi deal. I came to my own idea of why it worked (which I will be happy to share with those willing to help), but, first of all, I'm still not convinced since applying to another similar fare doesn't yield significant results. Moreover, I do not see particular reason why adding OJ flight at the beginning brings YQ down, while doing the same at the end doesn't. Does it have anything to do with what airline is treated to be a fare owner?
Feel free to PM if you think this discussion (if any :)) ) should not be open, and sorry for posting too many messages lately, it all has to do with willingness to learn.

MasterGeek Apr 6, 2015 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Neil791 (Post 24622530)
You're going to have to be a bit more specific about dates, carrier, and of course what you've done yourself to get to this point before you're going to see much of a response.

Its not an unfriendly place (despite what some might think) but you're not going to get a community to do all the planning and thinking on your behalf

I have been trying the multi-city search and nearby airport feature to try to find a working 3X. So, I entered YUL-CMN and CMN-YUL with some nearby airports in the first two legs, and for the third leg I experimented with different long lists of nearby airports in each continent. but to no avail :( I was able to find working dumps using this method for other itineraries, but not for this one.

I tried with different carriers: AT, KL, AF, IB, QR for July-August. Do the dates matter btw ?

Steve_Kenyon Apr 6, 2015 11:36 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 24623754)
I have been trying the multi-city search and nearby airport feature to try to find a working 3X. So, I entered YUL-CMN and CMN-YUL with some nearby airports in the first two legs, and for the third leg I experimented with different long lists of nearby airports in each continent. but to no avail :( I was able to find working dumps using this method for other itineraries, but not for this one.

I tried with different carriers: AT, KL, AF, IB, QR for July-August. Do the dates matter btw ?

Yes, dates matter. It's all spelt out in the fare rules. It can be very time consuming trying out different candidate dates so you may consider crafting an automated search tool, which quite a few folks here use.

And ITA is far from perfect - it's barely OK for simple strikes but won't show dumps that can result from more complex itineraries (not that I can claim to have much success in creating them, yet).

Steve_Kenyon Apr 6, 2015 11:38 am

Originally Posted by maxvor (Post 24623697)
Guys, I wonder if anybody could help me understanding latest Pizza-to-Sushi deal. I came to my own idea of why it worked (which I will be happy to share with those willing to help), but, first of all, I'm still not convinced since applying to another similar fare doesn't yield significant results. Moreover, I do not see particular reason why adding OJ flight at the beginning brings YQ down, while doing the same at the end doesn't. Does it have anything to do with what airline is treated to be a fare owner?
Feel free to PM if you think this discussion (if any :)) ) should not be open, and sorry for posting too many messages lately, it all has to do with willingness to learn.

I don't think there's much more to it other than a fat fingered worker (clearly with tenure given how this has happened before) at AZ/SU and the flight numbers of some consecutive segments.

N6CNH Apr 6, 2015 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by maxvor (Post 24623697)

From what I can see the ship has sailed on this one. Don't hold me to that though, working on a few things to see if it can be brought back to life.

akhenaton Apr 7, 2015 8:05 am

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

hi all, still a rookie in this game, so please don't mind the noob question: successfully dumped a yyz-lhr-dxb-yyz flight with a 3X and it is bookable on the airline website...is it preferable to book on an OTA instead of the airline website?

MasterGeek Apr 7, 2015 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Kenyon (Post 24624642)
Yes, dates matter. It's all spelt out in the fare rules. It can be very time consuming trying out different candidate dates so you may consider crafting an automated search tool, which quite a few folks here use.

And ITA is far from perfect - it's barely OK for simple strikes but won't show dumps that can result from more complex itineraries (not that I can claim to have much success in creating them, yet).

Are there any alternative tools to ITA to search for working dumps ? Maybe some specific/obscure online travel agencies ?

billotos Apr 7, 2015 11:18 am

Hi folks. Noob here but I have been working a lot on my FDing game in the last week and I managed to find some working 3x

However I have some questions for those of you willing to provide your insight:

-C1-C3 using BA, although not the cheapest, does have around $800 in YQ. No other airlines have $800 for YQ. With a 3x I was able to chop it by 50%. When I look in the fare routing in ITA, it splits the trip to C1-C2, C2-C3,C3-C2,C2-C1 tickets.
- Is this ticket I am seeing counting the YQ twice and if that is the case I am only able to chop 50% of each YQ or do I eliminate 100% of the one YQ?

Thanks for your help

sophiap Apr 7, 2015 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by billotos (Post 24630012)
Hi folks. Noob here but I have been working a lot on my FDing game in the last week and I managed to find some working 3x

However I have some questions for those of you willing to provide your insight:

-C1-C3 using BA, although not the cheapest, does have around $800 in YQ. No other airlines have $800 for YQ. With a 3x I was able to chop it by 50%. When I look in the fare routing in ITA, it splits the trip to C1-C2, C2-C3,C3-C2,C2-C1 tickets.
- Is this ticket I am seeing counting the YQ twice and if that is the case I am only able to chop 50% of each YQ or do I eliminate 100% of the one YQ?

Thanks for your help

With BA a 3x will cut the total YQ by 50% regardless of the number of segments. For 100% you'd need a 1x.

nwa330 Apr 7, 2015 9:56 pm

Looking at a MGA-LHR OJ AMS-MGA 5/17-5/26. I got a BF about $210 with $290 in fat. Having troubles get rid of it with a 3x. Anyone able to do anything with this? Everything I got has an expensive 3x BF. I have plan B at about $100 more if this doesn't go.

TeamCarryOn Apr 7, 2015 10:33 pm

Not sure if I understood your ITIN but I was able to get it down by about $100 with a 3x. You're flying MGA-LHR-AMS-MGA?

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 24632918)
Looking at a MGA-LHR OJ AMS-MGA 5/17-5/26. I got a BF about $210 with $290 in fat. Having troubles get rid of it with a 3x. Anyone able to do anything with this? Everything I got has an expensive 3x BF. I have plan B at about $100 more if this doesn't go.

15cats Apr 7, 2015 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn (Post 24633024)
You're flying MGA-LHR-AMS-MGA?

Pet peeve of mine but this should really be written as MGA-LHR/AMS-MGA. The hyphen in between signifies a flight in my book which is different than an OJ. When explaining routing this can have profound implications.