Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA - AKL-EWR - 3505 NZD / $2101 USD r/t - Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] UA - AKL-EWR - 3505 NZD / $2101 USD r/t - Business

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024, 2:31 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by ExpectTheUnexpected
I've started to see changed on my itinerary, timing and aircraft changes for all internal US flights (3 flights).
It states I can change if the new flights don't suit me but the website bugs out when I try to. Biggest change EWR-LAX from 787-10 to 757-200
Timing changes (if sufficient) are a good thing. It often opens the door to change flights without penalty and without requiring the same fare to be available. Just space in the cabin.
Old May 11, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: AirNZ *GE
Plenty of time as I had 3-5 day gaps between all my flights, I am AKL based so this is a US trip for me and worked out very well.
How wide can the changes be in your experience? Date/Time/Routing? (Changes wanted by the pax, not the airline).

And how would you go about making these changes? On Day 0 I could change a lot within P fare for $0, then over the coming days changes cost $3k+ and now I am completely locked out of making changes (even after the schedule change).
Old May 11, 2024, 4:46 pm

Plenty of time as I had 3-5 day gaps between all my flights, I am AKL based so this is a US trip for me and worked out very well.
How wide can the changes be in your experience? Date/Time/Routing? (Changes wanted by the pax, not the airline).

And how would you go about making these changes? On Day 0 I could change a lot within P fare for $0, then over the coming days changes cost $3k+ and now I am completely locked out of making changes (even after the schedule change).
If you want to make changes by your own desire, that is one thing.

But in the case of a schedule change, rules obviously vary according to ticket and airlines, but say the rule is a 3 hour schedule change, or a schedule change that results in a connection bellow the MCT then you can basically chose any flight as long as there is room in the J cabin, regardless of the availability of P fares.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If affected by a schedule change and United is the ticketing carrier, it's generally whatever you can sell as "reasonable" to the human you are talking to. The website is not usually good for this. You only need any seat for sale in the same cabin on United metal.
cruser1 and Polytonic like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by findark
If affected by a schedule change and United is the ticketing carrier, it's generally whatever you can sell as "reasonable" to the human you are talking to. The website is not usually good for this. You only need any seat for sale in the same cabin on United metal.
Agreed, only calling in works for changes like this
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Agreed, only calling in works for changes like this
And I strongly suggest looking up a few preferred alternative routes on EF before calling in and suggest/ask for the ones you want.

Most agents I have spoken to in cases like this are just happy to have someone who understands the system and it saves them a lot of time too.
SPN Lifer, cruser1 and megshay like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I second this! With United call them (knowing what flight(s) you want to switch to) and you should be able to get what you want as long as it's reasonable. The website will only give you a few options.

A few months ago I was flying United LAX-IAH-CLT and the IAH-CLT flight was cancelled, there was no space on a non-stop to CLT until the next day so I called and they let me route IAH-ORD-EWR-CTL to get home same-day (and pick up some extra miles).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Pulse Check: Everyones ticket still looks good?

In another week or two Ill feel comfortable paying the upcharge for the CX First seat on my AKL => IAH leg
Stacycrow and cruser1 like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Pulse Check: Everyones ticket still looks good?

In another week or two Ill feel comfortable paying the upcharge for the CX First seat on my AKL => IAH leg
United winter schedule changes today have resulted in our AKL-LAX flight being cancelled, and we were re routed through AKL-SFO.
Looks like they are possibly cancelling the AKL-LAX route for the season (spot checked some other dates). As a data point our flight was Mar 1, 2025.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:46 pm

^ Certainly good news as far as it being honoured that there was a touchpoint on the ticket and it was preserved throughout!

Depending on your preference you could ask to be reaccomodated on ANZ perhaps on AKL => LAX
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
^ Certainly good news as far as it being honoured that there was a touchpoint on the ticket and it was preserved throughout!

Depending on your preference you could ask to be reaccomodated on ANZ perhaps on AKL => LAX
These changes are done pretty much automatically (assuming all UA metal). Personally I'd still rather UA hard product even with the superior NZ soft product (no I do not want to stare at the person across the aisle from me for 14 hours).

I also ended up with a reroute via SFO, hoping to shift the dates around now and hopefully drop a segment now that there's a schedule change on the ticket.
SPN Lifer and cruser1 like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:20 pm

Had my JFK-AKL flight moved to be 1 hour later, if I go to change flight on the web portal now I can no longer get it to quote for any flight changes (previously could change dates, add segments for $0-$100).

If I try change the dates it presents me a calendar to select a date (which has price), and upon clicking any date it says "Looks like the times for the available flights don't work with your currently booked itinerary,".

Is this normal that the self service change flights feature breaks after a schedule change?
Old May 17, 2024, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by rtv4
Had my JFK-AKL flight moved to be 1 hour later, if I go to change flight on the web portal now I can no longer get it to quote for any flight changes (previously could change dates, add segments for $0-$100).

If I try change the dates it presents me a calendar to select a date (which has price), and upon clicking any date it says "Looks like the times for the available flights don't work with your currently booked itinerary,".

Is this normal that the self service change flights feature breaks after a schedule change?
Yes, if the online system requires you to accept the schedule change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.