Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] UA - AKL-EWR - 3505 NZD / $2101 USD r/t - Business

[PREM FARE GONE] UA - AKL-EWR - 3505 NZD / $2101 USD r/t - Business

Old May 8, 2024, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bleuprince16
Still available?
Nope, dead.

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Nope seems gone. Now I can stop trying to find time to visit NZ

Surprised this was up for such a long period of time. Congrats to all who booked.
Haha! Stop trying to visit NZ just because the fare is gone? It's a beautiful place!

but i thought the fares were NZ > USA?
It was, but the airline just deleted the fare so you can't book it anymore.

Spoiler

Old May 8, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Just here to say congrats to anyone that snagged this. Hell of a deal!

kiwi in NYC bounced back and forth for a decade - never seen this price !! God bless Flyertalk and boooo to SF!!!
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: United 1K
How long do people usually give the airline to cancel such tickets before considering them firm?
Old May 8, 2024, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Theoretically, yes. However, it would require some FF number gymnastics. If you use your TK FF number on the reservation to claim the QF flight with AA you'll either need to request the milage retroactively after the trip, or ask for you AA FF number to be put into the reservation for that segment at check in, then switch back (or assure the TK one is properly set) after flying the QF segment.

I wouldn't want to risk messing with the main part of the *A flights, so claiming retroactively would be my suggested path.

Ok! Sounds like a plan! I hope UA honors this fare.
Old May 8, 2024, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njwatson32
How long do people usually give the airline to cancel such tickets before considering them firm?
Give it two weeks. No need to rush with this one considering the first booking date was in October.
njwatson32 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great find! I found out pretty late. For itineraries on United metal, this was also able to fare lock which is what I did. I ended up purchasing fare lock on two itineraries to hold the price for another two weeks.

wanted to ask if anyone knows if there are any change fees on this ticket if I choose to purchase it and have to subsequently cancel? I’m pretty comfortable carrying United credit, even in large amounts so not worried about that part.
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by cruser1
Give it two weeks. No need to rush with this one considering the first booking date was in October.
Was it error fare?
Old May 8, 2024, 5:28 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

To me... this one seems to be on the line between an outright error fare and a really good deal.

I'm leaning towards will be OK.

As usual no one should book repositioning flights or hotel stays unless refundable.
Old May 8, 2024, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Thanks for posting. Got my familly of 3 booked OW AKL->MEL->DFW. Now to find a way to get there...

Are there any good places ex-US to visit on the way? I'm looking at Tahiti or Fiji but everything else seems faaar.
Old May 8, 2024, 6:27 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

As a reminder: A classic from MileageAddict a few moons ago.

Old May 8, 2024, 7:10 pm

Many thanks to the OP and later posters. We have family in that neck of the woods, so grabbed a OW for my parents and one for us. Hoping they’re real and we can get ourselves there…
cruser1 and zip10001 like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Was it error fare?
No obvious typo I could find, but it was so far out of step with similar markets and the NZ table that I think it must have been. It expired 17-May and it weren't a mistake it would have been left there.
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Thanks for posting. Got my familly of 3 booked OW AKL->MEL->DFW. Now to find a way to get there...

Are there any good places ex-US to visit on the way? I'm looking at Tahiti or Fiji but everything else seems faaar.
If you look at a map not many places with wide body flights to/from USA. HNL, PPT, NAN, RAR
A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
Rowyourboat and cruser1 like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 11, 2024 at 2:13 pm Reason: fixed link. Added CXI
Old May 8, 2024, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Was it error fare?
Most likely. The one-way was only about half of what a one-way has recently priced at, but the roundtrip is usually much more than double this price. The fare was supposed to be available for two more weeks and it's gone, so that's another sign that it likely was.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The second worst thing about missing this fare is that it will put a serious dent in the possibility of reasonable autumn award availability.
cruser1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.