Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by rasmu346
Departure Airport: MSP
Mileage Needed: 10K
MQDs: N/A
Budget: Under $1500 if possible
Dates: Has to be Fri-Mon flight, open dates: 10/28-10/31, 12/9-12/12, 12/16-12/19
Required Metal: DL or partner

THANK YOU SO MUCH
A trip to Hawaii will get you around 8000 MQMs and you can pick up the remaining MQMs with a trip to the west coast

e.g. Oct 30, MSP-SEA-KOA-SEA-MSP, $596 (MC), 8138 MQMs, 4 hours in Kona, get back to MSP afternoon of Oct. 31
Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by gwendollen
I'm super close to my platinum medallion match - I have to complete by Nov 23rd but I'm off work 23 of Sept – 1st of Oct would love to grab some miles. Any options? My tolerance for long haul coach is low these days so would love a nicer seat option.
Departure Airport: AUS (or any for a long haul)
Mileage Needed: 11K
MQDs: $1,100
Budget: flexible
Dates: I’m off the 23 of Sept – 1st of Oct but need to complete before Nov 23rd
Required Metal: No, just Delta or Delta Partner
If you want to do it during your time off, the following is a possibility for about $1270

1) Sept. 25, Delta AUS-SEA-KOA-SEA-AUS, $702 (MC), 8912 MQMs, $624 MQDs, 4.5 hours in Kona

2) Sept 27 - 28, AeroMexico Business class, AUS-MEX-MZT-MEX-AUS, $569, about 3800 MQMs, $1000 MQDs, overnight in Mazatlan (14 hours)

Old Sep 20, 2022, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by gwendollen
I'm super close to my platinum medallion match - I have to complete by Nov 23rd but I'm off work 23 of Sept – 1st of Oct would love to grab some miles. Any options? My tolerance for long haul coach is low these days so would love a nicer seat option.
Departure Airport: AUS (or any for a long haul)
Mileage Needed: 11K
MQDs: $1,100
Budget: flexible
Dates: I’m off the 23 of Sept – 1st of Oct but need to complete before Nov 23rd
Required Metal: No, just Delta or Delta Partner
Another option is to do it all in one trip

e.g. September 25 - 27, AUS-DXB (via BOS and AMS), $1275 (MC), 16,736 MQMs, $1128 MQDs, 105 minutes in Dubai

Old Sep 20, 2022, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
There is a thread on the Delta discussion board with a similar question. Take a look here. One post says that KLM Premium Economy is a new offering and they are using fare codes W / S / A for this class of fare but Delta hasn't updated their earnings table yet.
Thank you very much. Yes, I had seen that information and discussion, but it seemed it wasn't confirmed (though very likely) that KL "A" would indeed credit like AF "A" (as it should). Even prior to installing Premium Economy on their own planes a little while back, KL had filed "A" (cheapest premium economy) fares mirroring AF, and one could book such KL-marketed "A" fares for itineraries on AF/DL metal featuring Premium Economy as far back as at least late 2021 - sometimes those KL-marketed options would show up on the AF site (and probably on DL via ITA and powertools), but it just seemed a bit risky to me to book those given the still-not-updated DL earnings table. As someone in the thread you linked wrote, "There's a risk if you book as KL fares that DL will use current table (I haven't seen reports yet if Premium Comfort fares are crediting correctly like AF W/S/A fares).". I'm sure one would have a very good chance of success arguing for the 30% EQD if DL didn't credit those automatically, but it's probably still something to be aware of when booking KL-marketed Premium Economy for the time being.

And of course a big thank you for all the advice you are offering here!
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Take a look at a trip to Hawaii.

e.g. Nov 5, ATL-LIH, $1046 (MC), 9784 MQMs, $950 MQDs

I've had a change in plans for a few of my other flights so I'm now needing less MQMs and more MQDs that my original request. Any updated suggestions to hit the higher MQD threshold?

Departure Airport: ATL (also can do MCO or MIA)
Miles Needed: 8,800 MQM and 1700 MQD
Required Spend or Budget: I'm ok with needed spend to hit both MQM and MQD in one flight
Available Travel Dates: Weekends from last weekend in Oct (Oct 28th-Oct 30th) through second weekend (Nov 11th - 13th) in November, Possibly other weekends in late Nov and mid to late Dec (don't have my schedule yet to know for sure)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: either codeshare or delta metal ok
Old Sep 20, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jth14
I've had a change in plans for a few of my other flights so I'm now needing less MQMs and more MQDs that my original request. Any updated suggestions to hit the higher MQD threshold?

Departure Airport: ATL (also can do MCO or MIA)
Miles Needed: 8,800 MQM and 1700 MQD
Required Spend or Budget: I'm ok with needed spend to hit both MQM and MQD in one flight
Available Travel Dates: Weekends from last weekend in Oct (Oct 28th-Oct 30th) through second weekend (Nov 11th - 13th) in November, Possibly other weekends in late Nov and mid to late Dec (don't have my schedule yet to know for sure)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: either codeshare or delta metal ok
This is a possibility if Premium Economy on KLM gives 0.30 x mileage flown for MQDS and 1.5 x mileage flown for MQMs. ATL-AMS-CPH-AMS-ATL would earn about $2900 MQDs and about 14,700 MQMs
You can see the discussion about this above.
bigskyfarm and jth14 like this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta
This is a possibility if Premium Economy on KLM gives 0.30 x mileage flown for MQDS and 1.5 x mileage flown for MQMs. ATL-AMS-CPH-AMS-ATL would earn about $2900 MQDs and about 14,700 MQMs
You can see the discussion about this above.
I am very interested in this run, but is there any way to make certain the MQM will be 1.5? I need 19,000 and this would get me close ( unless the wizards here know of another run that would do 19 in one flight..and in premium economy)
Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by bigskyfarm
I am very interested in this run, but is there any way to make certain the MQM will be 1.5? I need 19,000 and this would get me close ( unless the wizards here know of another run that would do 19 in one flight..and in premium economy)
Probably the only way to confirm is to call Delta and ask.

There is always ATL-JNB on Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight class. Tickets for this have gone up a lot since the beginning of the year and are now going for $2103 but the trip will earn you about 24,500 MQMs and $4900 MQDs. The fare is available throughout November.
e.g.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:54 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by diburning
Departure Airport: BOS but willing to position
Miles Needed: 2766 MQDs
Required Spend or Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: First week of October, Third week of October through the end of the year, avoiding holidays unless there's a good deal/fare
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares OK!

After booking my UIO flight, I realized that I will be well over the MQM requirement for Platinum, but the MQDs are quite attainable as well! I won't be anywhere near Diamond, but I thought, why not stretch for Diamond?

Another trip southward would be fine, although a trip across the pond would be even better.

As I am a larger passenger, I would be more comfortable in Premium Economy (Business would be even better) on any flight over a couple hours long.
I waited too long to look into the suggestions given, and now they've all gone up in fare, and I can't seem to find anything close

So once again, I'm asking for help on this!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by diburning
I waited too long to look into the suggestions given, and now they've all gone up in fare, and I can't seem to find anything close

So once again, I'm asking for help on this!
Try Mexicali from Chicago. About the same earnings as to TIJ. Google Flights link

e.g.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Sep 22, 2022 at 3:42 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Thanks! I found a similar routing out of BOS for less than the difference in cost of positioning, but with one issue.

Do you know if lets say I book a 6-segment trip, and the last segment is in Economy, if the other 5 segments will credit properly? Does Delta credit partner flights by segment or by an entire direction of travel? Or will the economy flight throw the calculations off? The Q (Economy) fare basis on the return makes me nervous.

The itinerary would be:
BOS-ATL-MEX-MXL
MXL-MEX-JFK-BOS

with JFK-BOS being in economy.

Last edited by diburning; Sep 22, 2022 at 10:00 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:34 pm

Howdy Braintrust!
I'm helping a friend out and would love help on this:
Departure Airport: IAH or HOU
Miles Needed: 1350 MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Through end of November

Thanks!
-Joe
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by cyberjoek
Howdy Braintrust!
I'm helping a friend out and would love help on this:
Departure Airport: IAH or HOU
Miles Needed: 1350 MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Through end of November

Thanks!
-Joe
IAH to Tijuana or Mexicali in business class would get you the needed MQDs

e.g. Nov. 12 - 13, IAH-MEX-TIJ-MEX-TIJ, about $1750 MQD, 6500 MQMs, Google Flights Link, play with the link to get the desired dates/times
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta
Departure Airport: SLC
Miles Needed: 18,000
Required Spend or Budget: $2,500
Available Travel Dates: Anytime before 12-20-2022
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares okay

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by SilverDelta
Departure Airport: SLC
Miles Needed: 18,000
Required Spend or Budget: $2,500
Available Travel Dates: Anytime before 12-20-2022
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Codeshares okay

Thanks!
If MQMs is what you are after then JNB is an option. (Capetown is also available for about $400 more but has more availability)

e.g. Nov 12 - 14, SLC-MSP-AMS-JNB-NBO-AMS-SLC, $1095 (MC), 21,672 MQMs, $965 MQDs, about 19 hours in JNB, bookable on Delta, Google Flights Link

Last edited by canuck_traveler; Sep 22, 2022 at 10:09 pm Reason: add Capetown option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.