Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by steveholt
I had a schedule change on this fare knock out the ability to make any online changes. Did this happen to anyone else?
Yup! This happened to me. I can't make any changes.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
We have to hope that all DL tickets don't have that pop-up screen!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by alpha21
I do have the same problem.
I had some cancellations on my original routing, so i checked with KLM for a new routing and got the confirmation via e-mail on Saturday with the correct new routing in it. on Sunday i reserved my seats for all legs.
on Monday I received another mail with the Travel document. this one showed a difference in the inbound routing.
what does this means?
I logged in on klm.com and it said that there is no upcoming booking. so my booking disappeared as well. I could manage to readd it with my booking code.
but now it shows the following mix:
the outbound flight is the original outbound flight which I booked in march. the inbound flight is that on from the travel document, received on Monday.
the routing agreed with KLM Facebook Messenger chat and confirmed on my e-Ticket (from saturday) is disappeared completely...

What the hell is going on?
Nobody can say for sure. In this case I would contact the operating airline and make sure your booking is correct on THEIR system. That is what matters most.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged
not sure about others, my entire trip has disappeared. Searching PNR yields no result, so I cannot go manage my trip, not to mention changing flights. Has this happened to anyone else? This reservation is in August.
Hello there, I have the same problem I have AF ticket and my whole trip disappeared from the AF app and the website as well...DL site shows only the last leg of the trip.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:34 pm

curiously are all the "disappearing" trips in August? The trips disappeared for many of us with July departures a few weeks ago, but DL, AF, KLM were allowing rescheduling.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
My ticket still is there with a late- July departure date. So, there are still July tickets that haven't disappeared.
Haven't called to reschedule yet, even with two flights having cancelled-- I'm just kinda lazily waiting to see how things are playing out (I have no intention of flying in late July, so will cancel and get refund if they don't want to rebook me for winter/spring. Hard for me to get enough time to fly USA-BUD, then spend a few days there, then BUD-STT, and a few days there....
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN
If your ticket was 006 it was issued by Delta and you should have been calling Delta, not having three KLM ladies investigate it.
If you call Delta in AMS you get.....KLM. So what is the problem! That 3 agents had time to have a look doesn't mean that the poster asked for 3 people to investigate as you are suggesting. I think everybody is free in the way he/she is contacting the airline as long as it is in a decent way.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Dirk.On.Tour
If you call Delta in AMS you get.....KLM. So what is the problem! That 3 agents had time to have a look doesn't mean that the poster asked for 3 people to investigate as you are suggesting. I think everybody is free in the way he/she is contacting the airline as long as it is in a decent way.
The poster you're referring to was actually at Schiphol. Regardless, I think the issue [note on booking] was caused by previous interactions and the phone agents [be they KLM or DL] getting frustrated about the computer not repricing - then taking the [IMO] inappropriate action of "locking" the reservation. The assumption that this note has been added to all tickets [or all 006 tickets] is completely unsupported.
onlysuites, Keter and altalk08 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by etiene
The poster you're referring to was actually at Schiphol.
Thats indeed what he wrote. HalconBCN was saying he should had phoned Delta, but all is handled by KLM in AMS.
Regardless, I think the issue [note on booking] was caused by previous interactions and the phone agents [be they KLM or DL] getting frustrated about the computer not repricing - then taking the [IMO] inappropriate action of "locking" the reservation.
That indeed can be the consequent if you don't act, as I already mentioned, in a descent way.
The assumption that this note has been added to all tickets [or all 006 tickets] is completely unsupported.
My post had nothing to do with this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Thats indeed what he wrote. HalconBCN was saying he should had phoned Delta, but all is handled by KLM in AMS.
Travel-Quinten already had phoned Delta, that's how he got the note. Whether they talked to DL or KL employees is immaterial since [as you mention] they act for one another in the joint venture. I don't think it was unreasonable to try to address the issue in person at the Schiphol ticket desk.

That indeed can be the consequent if you don't act, as I already mentioned, in a descent way.
I do maintain that the agent was improper to lock the reservation and suggest that a refund should be sought. Since we have no suggestion that this popup is visible to the customer, they could well arrive at the airport without resolution - no agent should be leaving a reservation in that condition. That is why it strikes me as frustration on the part of the agent. It also seems unlikely to have been escalated to the level of someone with authority to declare it an error fare precisely because it was left uncancelled - hence my assumption of a "power trip". However, I made no assumptions [positive or negative] regarding the phone manner of the poster which lead to the note being added.

My post had nothing to do with this.
Didn't say it did - that was a response to Travel-Quinten's assumption upthread that this was now universal.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
US citizen here, we have BUD-CDG-SEA on Aug 15, but it looks like we wont be able to come to Europe due to the travel ban. Curious what I should try to do with these tix, we have not changed anything since booking, so its possible i could modify them online. Given the current situation, we are not banking on travel before Dec 2020 and since award tix are plentiful we already have those booked for what is still a speculative trip (to Jordan and Israel). I guess i could push out to spring 2021, given the price is it better to do that than seek a refund?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
US citizen here, we have BUD-CDG-SEA on Aug 15, but it looks like we wont be able to come to Europe due to the travel ban. Curious what I should try to do with these tix, we have not changed anything since booking, so its possible i could modify them online. Given the current situation, we are not banking on travel before Dec 2020 and since award tix are plentiful we already have those booked for what is still a speculative trip (to Jordan and Israel). I guess i could push out to spring 2021, given the price is it better to do that than seek a refund?
Great question, I have the same issues that it might be tough to figure out possible dates! However, for $600 to get 23K MQMs seems worth at least trying to rebook. If not, I'll take the refund.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:16 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Great question, I have the same issues that it might be tough to figure out possible dates! However, for $600 to get 23K MQMs seems worth at least trying to rebook. If not, I'll take the refund.
I have so much cash stuck in slow walked refunds right now that I think the value in these tickets might be worth preserving if I can push the flights out sufficiently fare and rebook at this rate. Is this still a fare where people are going to implore that I dont call the airline, because at this point that may be what I need to do to get the dates I would like in 2021...
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Madli
I changed the ticket week ago via KLM hotline, orignal ticket booked by Delta, new ticket came on KLM stock 074. In Delta app is still the old booking, just one return flight changed to new booking. In AF and KLM app I see old and new booking. Should I call again or wait till they fix it somehow? Its already 7 days from change, the flights are now changed to 17.11.2020
Just an update. I called today to Delta that I see also old flights in booking. They said they forgot to delete the old flights from booking. So now only new flights on 17.11 are visible. Now even modify booking via web page is possible for December...

Last edited by Madli; Jul 2, 2020 at 2:37 am
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Madli
Just an update. I called today to Delta that I see also old flights in booking. They said they forgot to delete the old flights from booking. So now only new flights on 17.11 are visible. Now even modify booking via web page is possible for December...
I have the same problem with my KL (previously DL) booking. Can you now modify your KL (previously DL) booking on the KL or DL ​​website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.