Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by wmaciej
any cancellation? I’ve got mine pushed from Jan to Sep on AF ticket.
Yes, I have got flights canceled. But they still wouldn’t move after March 19th. When did you change your ticket?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Karol100
Yes, I have got flights canceled. But they still wouldn’t move after March 19th. When did you change your ticket?
a couple months back. If you’re feeling brave, book AF operated flights for late March - they cancel them left, right and centre - so you’ll kick the can down the road...
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Karol100
Did anyone recently managed to change date of departure of their AF ticket? I have a flight to HNL on January 26th. The agent told me she can’t rebook after March 19th. Originally she was also claiming there would be fare difference even in case of involuntary change if I rebook later then 30 days (even with flights in original booking class).
HUCA until you find an agent that will do it. Also, if nothing changes, from the 26th US is open with test and quarantine.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
Originally Posted by Deckter
HUCA until you find an agent that will do it. Also, if nothing changes, from the 26th US is open with test and quarantine.
what do you mean by "US is open" isnt it more strict to travel to US than it was before? EU-US travelling is still banned.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by fridgy
what do you mean by "US is open" isnt it more strict to travel to US than it was before? EU-US travelling is still banned.
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2021-01634.pdf

Trump terminated his previous proclamation, so if there are no further changes, the EU passenger ban will end on the 26th.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:44 am

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2021-01634.pdf

Trump terminated his previous proclamation, so if there are no further changes, the EU passenger ban will end on the 26th.
Since this annoucnment went live, Biden and his spokeperson already said that they will continue with this type of ban for EU and other countries involved.
katstarr likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:52 am

I'm sharing a presidential document, not what he said, she said. As it stands, the ban ends on the 26th.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Since this annoucnment went live, Biden and his spokeperson already said that they will continue with this type of ban for EU and other countries involved.
Yup. Alas.

I'm sharing a presidential document, not what he said, she said. As it stands, the ban ends on the 26th.
Just jumping in here. Usually you would be correct. However, as it turns out, there was a new president on the 20th who has indicated (through all the appropriate avenues, e.g. his press secretary) that this particular "ban" (or whatever it ought to be called) would continue as-is.

Example 1: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-di...ans/a-56270214
Example 2: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...u-k-and-brazil
Example 3: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55713570

Not to mention, the addition of a Covid-19 testing requirement for all inbound air-travelers starting on the 26th.
fridgy likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by David7
More cancellations and the Dutch testing requirements will impact flights and give more leeway to rebook. Sorry to hear all the bad experiences with KL/AF rebooking even in case of cancellation. I am very fortunate to have booked 5 out of 6 tickets with Delta and only one with KLM. Delta has been super helpful and very flexible but now I have flown 4 of the tickets and only have one left. I really hope we see something like this again soon. Until then, this is the absolute best deal since COVID has struck.
I'm also amazed that you were able to complete 4 of these! You will be Delta Diamond ASAP this year!
Without asking too many personal details, how were you able to navigate all of these restrictions? Are you a Hungarian/USA citizen, therefore allowing travel? I'm just jealous And would love to travel again soon!
Congratulations!
Keter and katstarr like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by keitherson
You gonna change your username?
The reason for my handle is that Tim Mapes fired my wife BECAUSE of a disability. Operationally, DL was always reasonably fine.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Amazing on the added stopover! Was it an existing layover that you elongated into a stopover, or was the agent so skillful that she plopped in an entirely new stopover?
An entirely new stopover. This lady was a pure genius
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
2 further calls down the line and I'm unable to get anyone on AF who will do this change for me... Previously asked for an exorbitant fee. The guy today didn't even say anything just "sent my request to the tarification department"...

I suspect that this is because my itinerary has now switched around completely (was meant to travel BUD-JFK but the dates on the outbound have been pushed back by 10 days to the point that my itinerary is now JFK-BUD...)

Do you have any wording that can help or bulletins I can refer to? When calling Delta it was great to have that info around and produced results. For AF, mentioning INVOL change didn't help. One guy even said I could only do "within 2-3 days of travel date" not even the 30 day thing.

How many HUACAs does it take to get someone helpful
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:23 pm

Called KLM Germany today after changes in my booking. Tried to postpone to August this year which he was willing to do but unfortunately after a couple of mins talking to the back office he was told it is a wrong fare and i could only get a voucher or refund.
Second call to kLM Hungary he mentioned immediately that this is an error fare and however he can only do changes within 30 days. he suggested me to change again and again for 30 days hoping new cancellations would come in. He said also that he spoke to other guys calling with this fare trying to rebook but all of them would refuse after there comes out a huge fare difference.
will try again the next days.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:24 pm

called today again to Czech delta (AF/KL call centre). Got a cancelled flight for next week, they told me they can give me any flights within 30days or I have to have the same booking classes + same routing (airports) and I can move it to anytime. Moved to April for now. Highly recommend.
(keep in mind you will get your Delta ticket changed into KL ticket stock (074)!! (as czech delta cant ticket it as delta stock)
alpha21 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:26 pm

called today again to Czech delta (AF/KL call centre). Got a cancelled flight for next week, they told me they can give me any flights within 30days or I have to have the same booking classes + same routing (airports) and I can move it to anytime. Moved to April for now. Highly recommend.
(keep in mind you will get your Delta ticket changed into KL ticket stock (074)!! (as czech delta cant ticket it as delta stock)
with delta or KL/AF ticket stock?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.