Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by UnknownTraveller
I have the same problem with my KL (previously DL) booking. Can you now modify your KL (previously DL) booking on the KL or DL ​​website?
DL website
UnknownTraveller likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:14 am

After another change I called KLM to inquire about replacing BUD with another departure city. Zero luck. 3000€+ repricing.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
I attemted to change one of my tickets and the exchange failed. I guess the issue was schedule change on segments 3/4, maybe something else. Now my booking shows new segments on DL.com but the ticket was not exchanged and my USD 60 refund was not initiated Well will have to bother DL one day to fix this. And yes i pdf'ed the screen with the refund due. My friend had same issue a couple of months ago with his booking. Sadly that was the last booking I could change online... All others have schedule changes that require human involvement. Will not bother DL for nothing for sure.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:31 pm

If it helps anyone: a reminder - some (if not all) schedule changes (if acceptable to you) can be confirmed on Saudia. I booked on airfrance.hu. My flight OGG-LAX has had two schedule changes already, and in both cases I was able to accept the new flights on Saudia, which I wasn't able to do on the AF or DL sites. AF and DL sites then no longer show the old AND new flights, just the new one.
Keter, boxo and Travel-Quinten like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by Maayan
If it helps anyone: a reminder - some (if not all) schedule changes (if acceptable to you) can be confirmed on Saudia. I booked on airfrance.hu. My flight OGG-LAX has had two schedule changes already, and in both cases I was able to accept the new flights on Saudia, which I wasn't able to do on the AF or DL sites. AF and DL sites then no longer show the old AND new flights, just the new one.
Wow i missed this! A new game to play while sitting at home without talking to airlines

UPD sounds like its not that simple: I see some schedule changes have already been confirmed by DL (ie flight number change only) and SV does not ask to reconfirm those, though the reticketing is still to be completed.
And a ticket whch was booked on Orbitz and changed via DL.com where return portion had no DL flights still requires manual clean up too (as the return portion is still there but not seen by DL).

Last edited by Keter; Jul 2, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Old Jul 3, 2020, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
So my trip is not till Dec and I am happy to sit on it till then but I now don't need to go to LA but instead need to be on the eastern coast. Did someone mention earlier that they were able to change from HNL to another destination? Booked with klm.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 5:39 am

as mentioned above I had some cancellations on my ticket so I asked for a rerouting to my favourite route.
Got now additional stopovers with up to 1 oder 2 nights stay and some legs which haven't been in business got changed from eco to business class. now its all in J booking class.
All at no extra cost.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Had a look at my tickets on Saudia - or tried... Two couldn't be found with the ticket number, and I now find I can't get the ticket details in KLM. HA and VS segments don't seem to pull up in those systems either :-( Is there any other way to check if things have been reticketed correctly?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Some segments of my booking have been cancelled too. Booked via Expedia (I know...). Trying to rebook for a date after September 2020.

Delta told me that I not only need to rebook in I-class but specifically in I2FFHU. That does not sound right, or is it?
Expedia is telling me that any I-subclass is fine, but then I run into the following problem: On the date I want to travel, one short segment within the US does not have I class available. ITA shows the possibility to book that segment in W (premium economy), keeping the ticket in I class. Expedia however told me that I cannot rebook that intra US segment in W, that it needs to be I.

Are Expedia and/or Delta right or should I HUACA?
Old Jul 4, 2020, 3:33 pm

I booked the flights on Delta. My flight from BUD to IAD via CDG is on July 7 but cancelled. Only the flight from BUD to CDG was showed flights changed, nothing notify on CDG to IAD. At this time, I can't travel on these flights.

I called Delta Medallion Reservations number. The representative told me she can give me any dates until end of 2021. I rebooked the flights to December 20/May 21. She confirmed it in a minutes and it's all good. No change fee, no price difference.

I can't make any change online, before and after the flights changed. The only option online is to cancel and get voucher.
kyushuman and standbyalldtime like this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by gnargel
Some segments of my booking have been cancelled too. Booked via Expedia (I know...). Trying to rebook for a date after September 2020.

Delta told me that I not only need to rebook in I-class but specifically in I2FFHU. That does not sound right, or is it?
Expedia is telling me that any I-subclass is fine, but then I run into the following problem: On the date I want to travel, one short segment within the US does not have I class available. ITA shows the possibility to book that segment in W (premium economy), keeping the ticket in I class. Expedia however told me that I cannot rebook that intra US segment in W, that it needs to be I.

Are Expedia and/or Delta right or should I HUACA?
If you had segments cancelled, DL should automatically rebook you. If there's no I space available -- which seems unlikely months in advance -- I would figure DL should open some up for you.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Now my DL CDG-SEA segment is not operating in August which seems good. My hope is to bump these forward to Jan 2021 outbound and return in either April or July 2021.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 1:47 pm

Just as a heads up, looks like AF loaded a bunch of schedule changes this weekend for flights in Sept at least. My BUD-CDG flight is cancelled, as well as some equipment swaps (previously scheduled A350 for my flight CDG-ATL is now 777).

Changes not reflected in reservations yet, but are reflected on DL.com when searching for new flights. Now to consider what to rebook to instead.....
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
Just as a heads up, looks like AF loaded a bunch of schedule changes this weekend for flights in Sept at least.
​​​
I got a cancellation email today for my LAX-CDG-BUD in late September. But on af.hu I see that they've already rebooked on flights just 5 hours later. I wonder if this negligible change is nonetheless enough to be allowed to move the whole trip to a later month or better yet to next year.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by steveholt
If you had segments cancelled, DL should automatically rebook you. If there's no I space available -- which seems unlikely months in advance -- I would figure DL should open some up for you.
Delta rebooked my flights departing at the beginning of August. But as it seems highly unlikely that I will be permitted to enter the US by then, I do want to rebook for a later date, Never had it happen to me before that reference is made to specific subclasses of I or that I could not downgrade a segment to Premium Economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.