Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
i can see 3 or 4 pages on soiled undies..

i like the idea of the skidmark strike (we could pretend that it refers to actual skidmarks on the runway if that make you feel better)..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Romelle
I use the miles for family, and make sure every BIS mile I do goes toward status. There is indeed pain in accumulating the necessary miles. Even with upgrades.
Me too!!
Originally Posted by Romelle
I'm curious as to what you think is the best time for the cheapest fares? I usually seem to find the better deals 2 - 3 months out, but Randy suggested 5 1/2 months out for international trips (3 1/2 for domestic).
I think we are finally seeing the first of the Europe sales that extend out to May. So the advice is correct, now is the earliest time to start looking. But they will probably have better sales over the next couple of months. And of course, there is always a good chance for a sale where tickets need to be booked by the end of March to post Q1 revenue.

The thing to be careful about is that May is shoulder season. Price differences between the third week of May and the last week of May, returning in June, can be hundreds of dollars. Very late May is less likely to see big price drops. If you have enough status to get free changes to award tickets, definitely book a backup ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: UNITED 1P
Originally Posted by janetdoe
1. How can anyone give you any help when you don't even know if YQ or base fare is your problem? Are you saying you haven't even bothered to do ONE single month-long search on ITA or one glance at a Kayak map to determine if you are looking at a day with the low fare everyone else is talking about? You haven't clicked ONE SINGLE TIME on "View Itinerary and fare details" to see if you base fare matches the one discussed here?
Janet, how do you just assume that I don't know it's the right base fare? I have already mentioned in one of the threads that I have gone into read the fare rules (although i don't understand all the restrictions I must say as I'm still learning). So of course I know my base fare is the right base fare and it is the one that's being discussed. It is the $19 base fare and YQ is my issue as I am only able to cut down $100 or so of it. I have tried combinations of groom bride, a few friends, and not getting anywhere. And I can only travel around those few dates in April so any other dates to me is meaningless (and again I do know that I've got the right base fare).

Originally Posted by janetdoe
2. Did you try to look for any new tricks? When you've done 500 systematic searches for a new 3X, and still haven't found anything better, pm me with the search strategy you used and I will be happy to help you.
I have already spent a lot of time trying to search for new tricks and have not found anything better.[/B]

Anyone who uses the phrase "tried all the ones I know", "tried everything I know", or "tried everything" is barking up the wrong tree. The people who know enough tricks to make those phrases meaningful would never use them, because they know how to look for new things.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by giggy
however if you eat this pineapple, you are going to end up "dumping" in your pants.
giggy's not making this stuff up!! Check this out:
When unripe, the pineapple is not only inedible but poisonous, irritating the throat and acting as a drastic purgative.
Originally Posted by giggy
I don't think the horses like your water
Well, if they don't like the taste they can use it to wash... whatever

Originally Posted by nanirina
Janet, how do you just assume that I don't know it's the right base fare? <snip> I have already spent a lot of time trying to search for new tricks and have not found anything better.[/B]
When you suggested that your dates were the problem, that implies you are uncertain if you are working with the lowest base fare. If you are looking at the $19 base, then your dates are not the problem.

I see I have a pm from you, so hopefully you sent me the details of your search strategy.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by aarato; Jan 10, 2012 at 5:52 am
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:49 pm

Deleted

Last edited by stevenryals; Jan 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm Reason: wow.. lots of pm in a very short amount of time..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Not sure why you need to refer to "sticky underwear"... kinda gross.
Are we soon gonna talk about the poop strike or piss carrier??
dont know why really.. but this post gave me a laugh

i think we should do an about face on how we're naming things.. it should be a bit more fun..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by weegiewife
OK, I'll bite and guess - sub $1000?
How many fingers and toes do you have?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
How would it ever? If your FD is with a 3x and you haven't yet missed the 3x, you are complying with your end of the contract. I don't see how the itinerary can cause problems midstream, well before possibly missing the 3x.

If the airline catches it misdtream, I would think most they could do is:
- they charge the TA or airline that issued the ticket
- they fix the glitch that allowed the FD in the first place

I very much doubt it could go beyond that.
In my case the airline took it upon themselves to charge my CC before even a single segment was flown. This was an additional $2100 charged without approval, communication or anything else.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deltahater
In my case the airline took it upon themselves to charge my CC before even a single segment was flown. This was an additional $2100 charged without approval, communication or anything else.
And you went along with that?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:26 pm

Wow first I've heard of that..
Has the issue been resolved ?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
And you went along with that?
Not quietly. I disputed with the CC but that process does take 4-6 weeks. We will see what they come back with
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:57 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Not quietly. I disputed with the CC but that process does take 4-6 weeks. We will see what they come back with
can I ask what airlines was that?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by Yinzer
Come on man. Don't waste peoples time. I already spent my time to reverse what you were doing and let you know I found it bookable. I'm not going to restate what's already in this thread and walk you through it. Dump, potential, difficulties, already discussed.
Yinzer is right. You can only waste so many peoples time so many times.

AND yes Yinzer does know your 1X and I just flew it three days ago
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:44 pm

Last edited by stevenryals; Jan 13, 2012 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.