Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:52 am

What dates and any way to trick it?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by BCH
taxes, surcharges, and fees can add another 500+, but I know y'all are creative bunch and can find many ways to reduce them. :-)
Hi BCH,
Please use the Trick It lounge thread when you have a fare you would like to suggest reducing the fare via tricks.

Here is the guide to how the MR Deals and MR Discussion threads are set up. Tricks and all discussion belongs in the Trick It thread, below.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-new-post.html

I am now merging this into the Trick It thread.

BiziBB, Moderator Mileage Run
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by janetdoe
They can tell you they won't issue a BP until you pay the missing charges. They may be violating their contract with you, and if you have to pay, you might be able to dispute it with your credit card or in court... but there have been stories in this thread about people being asked/coerced into pay the missing fees, sometimes at the airport, sometimes at the airport in a foreign country, etc.
OK, but if that were the case and you actually did pay under duress, it's still not a terribly expensive proposition. It's not like they are canceling your tickets and making you buy a last minute full fare. Essentially, you are still where you would have been without the trick (okay, minus the trivial cost of the 3x). How can this be a vacation ruiner?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:52 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jmw
When I book a mistake fare (non-FD), I don't expect to have the airline cancel my reservation at the last minute because it was a glitch. Once you have my money, the deal is done and I expect them to fly me from x to y.
Many reports in main MR forum about airlines not honoring mistake fares, though usually well in advance.

EmailKid
Old Jan 8, 2012, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by janetdoe
2. We have seen some ridiculously low fares to BCN/MAD for the past year or so. Have you considered getting to one of those cities cheap and using an LCC or cheap intra-Europe award to get to AGP?
Might I also add that MAD-AGP on a train is often cheaper then flying and also a very nice ride ? Airline domestic F legroom in coach, earbuds, movie etc. ...
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:40 am

post#16052

Can anyone confirm my post? I am also wondering how to book this, as it involves codeshared flights (getting my FF number on there).

I can book with E or O, but have never booked on either before nor tricked a fare.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:46 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Duna Club Silver
I don't know if I stumbled upon on a trick, or it is just a weird behaviour. It is base fare related, no YQ there.

I found the following flights:

going out:
(city A)C2 - (city B)C4 - (city C)C4
coming back:
(city C)C4 - (city A)C2 - (city D)C2

Essentially an OJ flight that goes back through the point of origin. Weird part is that the base fares are listed on ITA as city A - city B going out and city B - city D coming back, even though there is an extra segment going out and city B is completely missing coming back!

The price is nice, because city C in C4 is usually more expensive then city B.

It priced out on O.

Edit:
Now thinking about it, it might be city A - city B going out
then city B-city C(long stopover)-city A-city D as a return. This way at least the base fares make sense, though it is still weird

Last edited by jair101; Jan 8, 2012 at 4:51 am Reason: more information
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHTFP
Originally Posted by jair101
I don't know if I stumbled upon on a trick, or it is just a weird behaviour. It is base fare related, no YQ there.
Sounds like some type of hidden city ticketing. Quite common, and often seen when flying to small airports that are close to a major hub.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jair101

The price is nice,
How nice?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Duna Club Silver
Originally Posted by jms_uk
How nice?
~760 euro, about 250 euro cheaper then normal for this flight. Nothing to be extremely excited about, my question was more like if this can be exploited in a way to get to expensive cities, using published fares for cheap ones.

Reading the light gray print in ITA confirmed that it is indeed a fare split in to the connecting city.

Btw, Delta currently has almost the same price on this city pair including 260 euro YQ :P

DrDive, all involved cities are capitals, pretty far away from each other. My understanding of hidden-city is different I guess, this one does not involve skipping a leg.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Um, for the NYC-FRA route, not sure what I am doing wrong here, but for me I've tried the 13 miler and I still get 526 on the groom, on the groom and its pale friend. I was trying for dates April 1 to April 8th....
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by nanirina
Um, for the NYC-FRA route, not sure what I am doing wrong here, but for me I've tried the 13 miler and I still get 526 on the groom, on the groom and its pale friend. I was trying for dates April 1 to April 8th....
The 13 miler isn't a 100% dump.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
EWR-FRA

First attempt has yielded $466 with 3X (not 13 miler) friendly to *A for dates in April which of course is nice considering the near peak travel season.
I'm getting $506 with 13 miler which is interesting at the X is cheaper in option 2 but it only removes some of the excess weight.

Now how to get to EWR from YYZ without negating the savings?!?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:19 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Neil791
Now how to get to EWR from YYZ without negating the savings?!?
Several threads in Budget Travel. Consensus seems to be to go to BUF to avoid int'l fares and higher taxes.

EmailKid
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Not the best deal out there, but $432 ai with 100% *A. C1-C2-C1 OJ (and opposite sides of the coast for C1 OJ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.