Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stevenryals
Anyone seen this little gem in their fare rules?

and
Nothing new. There are lots of unscrupulous travelers, some on this site and others elsewhere. Search the older posts from 2006 when the ex-CMB fares were shut down.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:16 am
Suspended

so basically trying to reduce 1x usage.. understood..
No, they are preventing no show on 1x.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
No, they are preventing no show on 1x.
yea thats what i meant.. the USE of 1x in an itin (of which most of them are not flyable due to location).. it's almost like for most of these you have to combine with another trip to make it work..

still cant book mine.. got C1 Southeast - C2 down to $209.. but cant book.. very frustrating..

Last edited by stevenryals; Jan 9, 2012 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nanirina
Hi WWE, I actually tried all the ones I know and not getting the dump to anywhere in the low 400s even. Maybe it's the actual dates that I need to fly that's causing this. I keep on mentioning the 13 miler cuz I know people have reported lower fares than mine using the same dump and I was wondering what I am doing that's wrong.

If anyone is able to PM me a hint on what has worked for them, it would be really really appreciated. In the mean time I will play around more... thx!
1. How can anyone give you any help when you don't even know if YQ or base fare is your problem? Are you saying you haven't even bothered to do ONE single month-long search on ITA or one glance at a Kayak map to determine if you are looking at a day with the low fare everyone else is talking about? You haven't clicked ONE SINGLE TIME on "View Itinerary and fare details" to see if you base fare matches the one discussed here?

2. Did you try to look for any new tricks? When you've done 500 systematic searches for a new 3X, and still haven't found anything better, pm me with the search strategy you used and I will be happy to help you.

Anyone who uses the phrase "tried all the ones I know", "tried everything I know", or "tried everything" is barking up the wrong tree. The people who know enough tricks to make those phrases meaningful would never use them, because they know how to look for new things.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:54 am
Suspended

yea thats what i meant.. the USE of 1x in an itin (of which most of them are not flyable due to location).. it's almost like for most of these you have to combine with another trip to make it work..

still cant book mine.. got C1 Southeast - C2 down to $209.. but cant book.. very frustrating..
It requires a bit more planning I guess. For instance, when you are in c2.5 or c3, consider taking a x1 that you will use for an upcoming ex c1 flight later in the year.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)

Originally Posted by janetdoe
1. How can anyone give you any help when you don't even know if YQ or base fare is your problem? Are you saying you haven't even bothered to do ONE single month-long search on ITA or one glance at a Kayak map to determine if you are looking at a day with the low fare everyone else is talking about? You haven't clicked ONE SINGLE TIME on "View Itinerary and fare details" to see if you base fare matches the one discussed here?

2. Did you try to look for any new tricks? When you've done 500 systematic searches for a new 3X, and still haven't found anything better, pm me with the search strategy you used and I will be happy to help you.

Anyone who uses the phrase "tried all the ones I know", "tried everything I know", or "tried everything" is barking up the wrong tree. The people who know enough tricks to make those phrases meaningful would never use them, because they know how to look for new things.
I don't think the horses like your water
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by janetdoe
3. Even with 100% FD, you are still looking at $1000 to Europe You have time to apply for a credit card and get enough miles for a reward ticket on almost any airline.

4. I think you are looking way too far in advance to get the cheapest fares.
janetdoe,

Thank you for your response. I plan to try your suggestions, and will take you up on your offer of PM help after I've done ALL my homework.

Your suggestion of a miles ticket is reasonable, but I'm retired and do all my flying on my own money. And it is all voluntary, not job-imposed. I use the miles for family, and make sure every BIS mile I do goes toward status. There is indeed pain in accumulating the necessary miles. Even with upgrades.

I'm curious as to what you think is the best time for the cheapest fares? I usually seem to find the better deals 2 - 3 months out, but Randy suggested 5 1/2 months out for international trips (3 1/2 for domestic).

Romelle
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by giggy
It's distasteful water.. but it's the only water that works.. if you said "sure here, try typing these 6 characters" and BAM.. it's done.. then they'll be back next trip for the same spoon full of medicine.. take the time to learn.. i've been at this for ages and there are still new strikes i find here and there.. i have a list of about 80 cities to test for any fare, and i intend to build upon that daily (or whenever possible).. wish i had 80 booking sites to choose from LOL
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
janetdoe,

Thank you for your response. I plan to try your suggestions, and will take you up on your offer of PM help after I've done ALL my homework.

Your suggestion of a miles ticket is reasonable, but I'm retired and do all my flying on my own money. And it is all voluntary, not job-imposed. I use the miles for family, and make sure every BIS mile I do goes toward status. There is indeed pain in accumulating the necessary miles. Even with upgrades.

I'm curious as to what you think is the best time for the cheapest fares? I usually seem to find the better deals 2 - 3 months out, but Randy suggested 5 1/2 months out for international trips (3 1/2 for domestic).

Romelle
Romelle, whatever airline/alliance you prefer, go to their forum on Flyertalk.. at the top of the forum in a sticky should be current promotions (it is in most of them anyway).. Janet is saying, get the card and make a purchase, you can yield up to 25,000 reward miles that way.. then take advantage of shopping deals that give miles and whatnot.. you're probably looking at about 60k miles... i know once, I was in hawaii, and there was a miles/points promo on rental cars... 1 day minimum.. 5000 per rental.. so my wife and i rented 1 car each.. and traded cars each day for 10 days.. 2 of us.. 10 days.. thats 20 rewards of 5000.. we had to rent cars anyway, so we netted 100,000 miles on that trip.. enough to go back again a few weeks later
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:01 pm

still cant book mine.. but cant book.. very frustrating..
You've got to be more thorough. I reverse engineered. It prices out. In 5 minutes of searching came up on one of the usual booking sites. Also, these same base fares/dumps were repeatedly discussed in this thread.

Last edited by Yinzer; Jan 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Yinzer
You've got to be more thorough. I reverse engineered. It prices out. In 5 minutes of searching came up on one of the usual booking sites. Also, these same base fares/dumps were repeatedly discussed in this thread.

i get it to price on a couple but, while its still much cheaper than retail, it's around $400 ish..
are you seeing it at low 200's ?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by giggy
BKKTraveler said:

Give a man a pineapple, he dumps for a day, let him teach himself how to find a pineapple and he dumps for a lifetime.
thought this was applicable here
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:29 pm

i get it to price on a couple but, while its still much cheaper than retail, it's around $400 ish..
are you seeing it at low 200's ?
Come on man. Don't waste peoples time. I already spent my time to reverse what you were doing and let you know I found it bookable. I'm not going to restate what's already in this thread and walk you through it. Dump, potential, difficulties, already discussed.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Give a man a pineapple, he dumps for a day, let him teach himself how to find a pineapple and he dumps for a lifetime will complain that it doesn't taste good with his sushi.
Fixed it for ya.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:37 pm

Last edited by stevenryals; Jan 13, 2012 at 9:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.