Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by stevenryals
brilliant place this is.. warms my heart to have so many go out of their way to be of assistance, and provide such hospitality.
So go cry on DesertRose's shoulder
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Originally Posted by ryandc99
^^^
^^^^
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
Originally Posted by giggy
So go cry on DesertRose's shoulder
got any pics?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
^
Originally Posted by weather
^^^^
^^^^^
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHTFP
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
You can start a new thread: "Trick-It-Help"
There really should be a new thread. But not for that purpose...

What would happen if the top few contributors to this thread were to leave and start their own, closed thread?

I expect 3 things would happen here:
1) this thread would slow down and almost die, like over at MP
2) a very select few would use it to learn how to FD. Those people could then go join the "expert" thread.
3) tricks would not be closed down as often due to less blurting by people who don't know what they are doing

Plus the people in the "expert" thread would have a more enjoyable life without having to spend half their time answering stupid questions/censoring info/yelling at people.

/rant
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:03 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Originally Posted by DrDive
There really should be a new thread. But not for that purpose...

What would happen if the top few contributors to this thread were to leave and start their own, closed thread?

I expect 3 things would happen here:
1) this thread would slow down and almost die, like over at MP
2) a very select few would use it to learn how to FD. Those people could then go join the "expert" thread.
3) tricks would not be closed down as often due to less blurting by people who don't know what they are doing

Plus the people in the "expert" thread would have a more enjoyable life without having to spend half their time answering stupid questions/censoring info/yelling at people.

/rant
I like the idea in theory but...

How would one qualify for the expert thread? And wouldn't having a locked off forum require TalkBoard's approval?

There are little communities built up over pm organically; still in code, making you work for it...

As much as it annoyed me at the start; I'm glad it was as hard to start as it was (and I'm glad to those who gave me a hand) -- required me to spend time reading routing rules and look at sites and _think_ about this.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:08 pm

I think this already occurs to some degree. I don't share new full dumps that I come across if they haven't already been referenced. I don't share the majority of quarky and exotic things I come across. I think it's helpful for posting of low base fares, giving peoples heads up on whether something is impossible but not really productive to more explicitly reference new tricks.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
got any pics?
She does have an Avatar over there

EmailKid
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:17 pm

brilliant place this is.. warms my heart to have so many go out of their way to be of assistance, and provide such hospitality.
I've been lurking around this forum the past few weeks and have to agree.

The enemy here is not each other but the airlines finding out the 'tricks' and closing them. At the end of the day any airline employee can go ahead and read this whole thread too.

A forum is a PUBLIC community. And for this reason I now find this thread totally out of spirit with the rest of the board. I do understand that some people are protective of what they find because they spent a lot of time finding it, or feel it may be 'ruined' by others learning about it, but it creates a closed community that I don't think fits here.

I used to understand that people should read the entire thread to learn the tricks/clues. But at 16,000+ messages long I don't think that's a valid argument anymore.

What I'd like to see is:

1. A 'mentor' program where 'experts' on here agree to tutor newbies. A criteria might be set such as a minimum post count, or same location/base city.

2. A primer written to be shared privately to people being mentored that would help kickstart the process.

What's in it for the mentor? A sense of pride. The possibility that the person they train will come to have (and share) better skills than themselves. And a sense of community. Yes, community, because that is what a forum is all about!

Wishful thinking?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Yinzer
I think this already occurs to some degree. I don't share new full dumps that I come across if they haven't already been referenced. I don't share the majority of quarky and exotic things I come across. I think it's helpful for posting of low base fares, giving peoples heads up on whether something is impossible but not really productive to more explicitly reference new tricks.
/thread

Originally Posted by Enigma
<snip>

Wishful thinking?
This is already happening for a long, long time. Just not with members who want to go on a family vacation or need to visit their aunt or want to get out of the US for the first (and last) time in their life. Believe it or not, all of us do help people. WHEN and IF we see fit.

Other than that, you said it right: the thread is a public thing, you are free to read it and try to figure it out.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:33 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Is this dead? I tried booking and got 668$
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:36 pm

I couldn't get the return to LHR to work, but returning to CDG worked fine for me (about 20 mins ago).

Originally Posted by fenx
These book in to LX L.

I've yet to find a program worth creditting these to. Nearly everyone credits them at 0%. I'd like to be proven wrong though.
LOT gives 50%

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...pl&cid=1000340
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by ryandc99
^^^
Originally Posted by weather
^^^^
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
^

^^^^^
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Originally Posted by notsosmart
lol

Last edited by jmj8778; May 17, 2012 at 1:19 am Reason: no longer relevent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.