Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by pweekes
There is another thread that discusses another recent mistake fare with VA - [FARE GONE] Va: Dfw-mel $172 ai

It seems that those who booked directly with VA had their tickets honored whereas those who booked through a 3rd party site were denied. Seems to provide some sort of recent precedence.
Thanks for the link i am glad i booked direct with VA from GF search just choose dates as we want to go to US for 2 weeks , didnt even know where OAK airport are at the time of booking just knowing it is somewhere close to LAX base on 1h35 flight time . Too affraid now to even select seat for all 3 sector via Virgin manage booking . Just wait a fews more days to see what happen .
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dsdsyd
That is good to hear , care to explain what make you think so ? Based on past exp with those airlines ?
In 20 years of flying deals, I don’t recall DL canceling an issued Jumbo ticket.

VA has, in the past, stated they won’t cancel an issued ticket purchased on their own website. Since this was not a $0 fare, and has been ticketed and charged, they’d certainly run into at least some problems with the US DOT.

They would likely have to pay for positioning costs, and of course, all the bad international press involved if they did so.

This fare was not on FT for an extended time. Many people booked multiples, and have already canceled one or more while it was free. While it did hit at least one big blog, many people would be hesitant to book ex NZ because of the positioning hassles.

If it was ex US, the number of booked tickets would have been much bigger. I’d guess there 500-1000 tickets booked, with 15-25% already refunded. Many people like me, may have booked a flight to a non-optimal destination before discovering all the cities possible.

Another 20-40% will cancel or miss the flights for various reasons. I’d guess some US based folk will only take the US bound flight and not the return.

Overall, in a one year time frame, I’d say it averages out to 1-2 seats per day for flights actually taken. This is a pretty minimal impact on the airline. For Oz-US it is likely that some DL non-revs won’t get to sit in Biz sometimes. I’d guess that there are often empty seats in Biz on these flights.

The flights from NZ-Oz certainly have fewer FC seats, but fairly regular flights, so not a huge problem, either.
invalyd, earlyriser and dsdsyd like this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by earlyriser
So who flies first?
I've got one in a couple of weeks - first one of three trips I managed to book. All signs are looking positive so far. Will let you know how I get on.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Monday AM in Australia in a few hours - we will see how VA/DL play this out. I've heard of someone booked to fly in the next week. Will try and keep this thread updated.

Quite a nice change having a few great fares accessible from APAC region!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:48 am

My cc showed pending charge (longer than average). This morning no pending or actual charge. Booked via VA, went there and still shows booking.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Update: called CC and they said it is going from pending to posted. Should show up by tomorrow.

Last edited by Habuu; Nov 5, 2017 at 7:06 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Charge shows as posted on my card.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Too affraid now to even select seat for all 3 sector via Virgin manage booking . Just wait a fews more days to see what happen .
I don't know what you are afraid of. It's an automated system, it's not the same as calling and speaking to an agent. Do anything you want at any time via manage booking.

Managed to get 3 tickets to fly out on APR 18 . I am based in SYD so will need tk book a positioning fly to AKL . I got eticket with 795 VA stock and looking to family pooling with velocity to get to platinum in 1 trip 520 status credit x 3 if i am correct
That's the way it reads. Just make sure it's set to add redeemable and status credit to the family pool.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Charge posted on my CC and I was able to select seats via VS Manage my Booking without issue.
Seems like this is gonna be honored if you didn't book via PL?

I booked via Amex travel which seems to have had good success with the DFW-MEL Y fares earlier this week.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ex-SYD & checked bags?

I'm planning on using this fare for a 2 week trip to the US where I will need to check bags.

I routed via SYD on VA on my return. VA would likely check my bag thru to AKL, right? No way to drop that last segment without a refare? I'm a VA Platinum if that makes any difference?

Dont really want to fly to AKL & back on the return but can't do the trip without checked bags as I'll be bringing camping equipment (which is a pain in AKL!)
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
You could have nested the fare in sydney .
You can ask for them to check bag only to sydney then in this case just call once in syd and tell them u dont feel well cancel last flt
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:00 pm

Any one else getting this message when they go into manage my booking?

"Unfortunately this option is currently unavailable due to the status of your ticket. Please contact us for further information."

Hopefully we hear one way or the other if they'll honor tickets.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by Anna1985
Any one else getting this message when they go into manage my booking?

"Unfortunately this option is currently unavailable due to the status of your ticket. Please contact us for further information."

Hopefully we hear one way or the other if they'll honor tickets.
Yikes, mine still opens in VA. Won't be surprised if they are starting to cancel.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I can get my reservation but seat selection screen no longer pops up and gives the message to call.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:31 pm

My Delta flight OAK - LAX had a time change, it's showing up twice in VA manage my booking, I think that's why I got the message about the status of the ticket.
I'm getting the same message as CDKing when I try and do anything with my other flights.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by CDKing
I can get my reservation but seat selection screen no longer pops up and gives the message to call.
Are you going to call or ride it out for a bit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.