Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ristasm
i am also leaning towards cancelling the ticket from DL, is there 24hours free cancellation for bookings made on DL site?
Yes for tickets exUSA. It's required by USA DOT regulations and DL goes above and beyond by allowing cancellation even for itineraries departing within seven days. If the trip originates abroad, I'm not sure.

This thread reminds me of the story of the guy who wanted to fly to OAK (IIRC from BDL Hartford CT) but got onto the flight to AKL instead because the announcements made the names of the cities sound alike to him. Maybe DL/VA confused AKL and OAK in filing the fare, which was supposed to be an excursion flight around NZ (now that ANZ no longer operates the sightseeing trips to Antarctica).
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by denCSA
Was able to book two tickets, one on DL ticket stock and the other on VA. I'm leaning towards cancelling the DL one since I wouldn't get much credit (i.e. MQDs) out of it. Any reason to keep it otherwise?
Based on past experience, I would be surprised if Delta didn't honor the fares they ticketed. VA is less clear -- they appear to be cancelling the mistake Y fare DFW-MEL tickets sold a few days ago by OTAs but honoring the direct bookings in that case.

That's one reason to keep DL bookings... although the reducing earnings are a painful tradeoff.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If this sticks, I just gave up QF F award SYD-DFW to fly this . It will be nice to try a carrier I have not flown before.

Originally Posted by invalyd
I was in such a hurry to book I accidentally booked one of the longhauls on DL metal. Anyone know if their 777 J product is that bad?
I'm glad you brought this up. I didn't realize VA metal TPAC was available. So i went looking and was able to get a better itin with only domestic legs on DL.

Originally Posted by xedubx
VA is definitely the better option if it has the new seats, but I am not sure the flight out of BNE has the new seats?
According to a Business Insider Article BNE/LAX on VA has the new product.

Originally Posted by Matthew Lumby
Just booked, including a Brisbane stopover.
I should have tried that first. I'm going to be in BNE already, so now I have to book BNE-AKL just to pick up the AKL-BNE leg.

Originally Posted by g.henderson959
Anyone coming from the east coast? What's the cheapest way to get to AKL?
This would be great for those who already hopped on the DFW-AKL fare. I already have an award to BNE so i just need to get to AKL

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Can anyone get this to ticket on non-006 stock?
Yep. I got lucky in the end and was able to get all TPAC legs on VA metal. Booked and ticketed on the VA website.

i am also leaning towards cancelling the ticket from DL, is there 24hours free cancellation for bookings made on DL site?
Yes. Ive cancelled 2 so far as I was seeking the best flight combo.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 1, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:36 pm

Cool

Long gone now
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
looks dead. checked a few otas.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Good luck all. Fingers, legs, toes, arms all crossed.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Thanks OP for a great chance. If it had been the other way around I would have taken 2-3 lol.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
If this sticks, I just gave up QF F award SYD-DFW to fly this . It will be nice to try a carrier I have not flown before.
Me too...I have an award that I booked for AA 787 in biz class to the US on the outbound & a QF F award on the return. Both in Saver award class, so it'd be a good experience (and I hadn't flown on the 787 as yet or in QF F, only J) - so while i was excited to fly on the AA metal & the QF F-class, $1330 NZD was just too good of a deal to pass up. I did some quick math, and I think I'll earn about 50k VA miles as a VA Platinum - so, even though I'll need to position & still book a separate ticket from LAS to IAD and back, I think its worth it in the long run & looking forward to experience VA int'l Biz as all my VA flying has been domestic or to Samoa or Fiji, which isn't much of a biz class cabin.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:27 pm

I’ve never purchased a ‘mistake fare’ before’, at what point does it become guaranteed? I’ve had an itinerary emailed confirming the booking but I’ve heard of these types of fares being cancelled in the past.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pweekes
I’ve never purchased a ‘mistake fare’ before’, at what point does it become guaranteed?
When the left front door is closed and the seatbelt sign comes on.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Guvner067
When the left front door is closed and the seatbelt sign comes on.
LOL, amen!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by pweekes
I’ve never purchased a ‘mistake fare’ before’, at what point does it become guaranteed? I’ve had an itinerary emailed confirming the booking but I’ve heard of these types of fares being cancelled in the past.
A good way to help the fare stick is to not use the m or e words.
jona970318 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
delete

Last edited by kyushuman; Nov 2, 2017 at 10:46 am
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Missed out buy fingers crossed people!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes for tickets exUSA. It's required by USA DOT regulations and DL goes above and beyond by allowing cancellation even for itineraries departing within seven days. If the trip originates abroad, I'm not sure.
Not that many people who were able to book this will want to cancel , but DOT's 24-hour reservation (cancellation) requriement applies to "each U.S. and foreign air carrier that has a website marketed to U.S. consumers," so the DOT rule applies not only to Delta but to foreign airlines who have U.S.-facing Web sites regardless of the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.