Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: AKL-OAK / USD902 (Business Class)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:26 pm

So this is a legit deal? no cancelation? good job OP
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by hondaman82
So this is a legit deal? no cancelation? good job OP
It is still early. Not even 24 hours yet.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I did end up getting one! Thanks to OP.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by CDKing
If I understand this correctly:

BNE-LAX-SYD in I on VA credited to DL earns $5860 MQD (14650 *.4) and 29K EQM? So at least DL silver in one trip? If this sticks, Ill be doing a Plat status challenge.
21975 MQMs, right? 14,650*1.5.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by irishguy28
There is nothing to stop you changing the frequent flyer number. Before each sector, even.

However, this can be risky and the results can be different than expected. Some numbers are remarkably sticky, and although you get issued with a boarding pass with the changed FFP number, the miles may still magically end up in the previously-listed account. And in some cases, although you waited until after a particular flight to change the number, the fact that the number is changed may grab the miles that should have been earned for that earlier flight and nab them for the "newer" number.

You would be better off putting the frequent flyer number of your "main" or most important programme in the booking; do not touch or change it; complete all flights; wait until all miles for all sectors that can post to that account have actually posted to that account; and only then, do a retro-claim from the "secondary" programme, for those sectors that didn't give you miles in your main programme.

Instead of "maybes", you should really check. However, it is almost always better to stick with existing accounts, than to open new ones. There is little benefit of earning, say, 12,000 miles in programme X where the miles will stay, abandoned, alone and unusable, than instead deciding to put that flying into your existing, usable and useful account where they earn, say, only 5,000 miles. That the miles are in your "main" account makes them far more liquid than the greater amount in a "strange" programme.

[Would you, for instance, prefer to receive 5000 Albanian lek, or 5 US dollars? The former works out as the equivalent of about US$43, but you won't be able to spend or convert that currency easily - so the $5 dollars are actually of far more immediate value to you]

And besides, Alitalia Millemiglia is in a huge state of flux right now, with the current programme about to expire (you may have to kiss those miles away as soon as March, depending on when your flights are) and the longterm prospects of Millemiglia are under a cloud, given that Alitalia is either to be sold or wound up by April of next year.
Great points although on my last AF-marketed ticket with AF flights operated by Etihad, I couldn't earn DL miles (my main program) so I put in Flying Blue...later on, I couldn't switch it when the same itinerary had DL flights and I was stuck earning useless FB miles. THey were better than earning nothing and are a transfer partner, but DL gave some excuse that you can't change FF number once you fly. I have never heard of that before and found it ridiculous since many itineraries may include other airlines, but I was stuck. That's why I bring it up.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
......DL gave some excuse that you can't change FF number once you fly.....
That's a unique feature of DL system. DL system prevents change of FFP once travel begins. Even if you manage to change it, say for DL coded AF operated flight, DL system still credits to first FFP entered.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
That's a unique feature of DL system. DL system prevents change of FFP once travel begins. Even if you manage to change it, say for DL coded AF operated flight, DL system still credits to first FFP entered.
Name a program that will let you change your FF # once travel has commenced?

Last edited by nichojo; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nichojo
21975 MQMs, right? 14,650*1.5.
You are correct, sorry I was mistakenly looking at 200% RDM. So it looks like almost silver. So MQD is enough for gold so i just need to worry about MQM threshold of 50? I had been thinking about skyteam, with all the cheap China Eastern flights out of JFK

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 2, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
That has nothing to do with Delta. Name a program that will let you change your FF # once travel has commenced?
But, why? It should be flight specific, many itineraries include multiple airlines that not all FF programs recognize. That's archaic and frankly offensive when airlines want to benefit from codesharing and not pass those perks along to travelers.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Name a program that will let you change your FF # once travel has commenced?
UA, AA, LH and many others. Change of FFP will only affect future unflown segments, not flown segments.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
UA, AA, LH and many others. Change of FFP will only affect future unflown segments, not flown segments.
Frowned upon, even if *technically* possible. From AA:
"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Other airlines seem to follow.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Lots
Frowned upon, even if *technically* possible. From AA:
"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Other airlines seem to follow.
That's a completely different situation though. That's preventing you from getting benefits from one program but crediting to another. The question asked was about crediting different segments to different programs which absolutely should be possible (provided the program has the capability), especially with a Buisness Class ticket as most of the elite benefits are redundant anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:25 pm

Apologize for the ignorance, but I'm trying to calculate this award. Would a Delta Skymiles expert please double check my "math". I'd appreciate it.

First, all travel is in 2018.

AKL-BNE I VA, BNE-LAX I VA, LAX - SAN F DL, SAN-LAX DL F, LAX-SYD DL I, SYD-AKL VA I.

Miles flown: 17,702
MQMs: 28,285
$906 x 5 = 4,530 skymiles (no status)

**EDIT** Plus I'll get since I'm a SPG Platinum 1 Starpoint for every dollar spent on eligible Delta flights. Giving me $906 SPG points.

I will now almost be silver with delta if I spend an additional $2,094 MQDs. OR if I spend $25k in one year with DL Skymiles CC (select ones) will have the waiver in place and then qualify for Silver Status.

Now, if on my Platinum DL Skymiles CC, I spend $25 in one year I'll get an additional 10K MQMs AND get an additional 10k skymiles.

Bringing me to MQMs 38,285 and having silver status locked in.

Does this add up? Did I pass my algebra test? HAHA thx!

Last edited by ManFactSpendLA; Nov 2, 2017 at 7:38 pm Reason: add spg
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Apologize for the ignorance, but I'm trying to calculate this award. Would a Delta Skymiles expert please double check my "math". I'd appreciate it.

First, all travel is in 2018.

AKL-BNE I VA, BNE-LAX I VA, LAX - SAN F DL, SAN-LAX DL F, LAX-SYD DL I, SYD-AKL VA I.

Miles flown: 17,702
MQMs: 28,285
$906 x 5 = 4,530 skymiles (no status)

**EDIT** Plus I'll get since I'm a SPG Platinum 1 Starpoint for every dollar spent on eligible Delta flights. Giving me $906 SPG points.

I will now almost be silver with delta if I spend an additional $2,094 MQDs. OR if I spend $25k in one year with DL Skymiles CC (select ones) will have the waiver in place and then qualify for Silver Status.

Now, if on my Platinum DL Skymiles CC, I spend $25 in one year I'll get an additional 10K MQMs AND get an additional 10k skymiles.

Bringing me to MQMs 38,285 and having silver status locked in.

Does this add up? Did I pass my algebra test? HAHA thx!
Was it ticketed by DL or VA? IIRC 1st TPAC leg on VA was ticketed by VA. If so then its % of miles flown MQD not based on actual ticket price. DL ticket stock is by $ spend.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:47 pm

Thank you. Yeah DL ticket stock 006.

So it's $$..

Originally Posted by CDKing
Was it ticketed by DL or VA? IIRC 1st TPAC leg on VA was ticketed by VA. If so then its % of miles flown MQD not based on actual ticket price. DL ticket stock is by $ spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.