Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please:
Do NOT call the airline while the fare is still alive!
(Definitely dead now. Plead your case to have your ticket(s) reinstated!)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:10 pm

There go my dreams of flying SWISS First Class...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Since the US DOT basically revised their rules that now although a carrier can cancel, they're on the hook for non-refundable travel expenses related to this fare, I strongly wonder if someone were to rack up $1000+ in non-refundable deposits, would NZ reverse course vs paying out cash?

Excerpt from the US DOT:
As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, the Enforcement Office will not enforce the
requirement of section 399.88 with regard to mistaken fares occurring on or after the date of this
notice so long as the airline or seller of air transportation:
(1) Demonstrates that the fare was a
mistaken fare; and
(2) reimburses all consumers who purchased a mistaken fare ticket for any
reasonable, actual, and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the
ticket purchase, in addition to refunding the purchase price of the ticket. These expenses include,
but are not limited to, non-refundable hotel reservations, destination tour packages or activities,
cancellation fees for non-refundable connecting air travel and visa or other international travel
fees. The airline may ask the consumer requesting out-of-pocket expenses to provide evidence
(i.e. receipts or proof of cancellations) of actual costs incurred by the consumer. In essence, the
airline or seller of air transportation is required to make the consumer “whole” by restoring the
consumer to the position he or she was in prior to the purchase of the mistaken fare.
I haven't heard many stories here on FT lately taking that angle, though.

Originally Posted by SFO777
In theory, yes.

From Lucky's post...
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...s-class-fares/
Missed this originally, but looks like Lucky was thinking along the same lines. I'd love to hear if anyone with costs incurred is successful either getting the flights reinstated or reimbursed.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Sep 19, 2017 at 7:15 pm Reason: Edit: quoting a missed post
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: JAL DMD, Hildon DMD, Velocity Plat
My expedia.au ticketed reservation got cancelled too.. I might call expedia
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
All 4 Orbitz bookings cancelled
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:29 pm

Sigh. I have a bad habit of booking the fares that get cancelled, and NOT reserving those that get honored. Like the Qatar fares. Oh well, try try again...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:33 pm

Hope USD/AUD gets weaker later this week so that we can make some money from currency change!
earlyriser and hokiebuy like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by flybit
DOT made a ruling on these type of tickets, all your hotels, all you flights are covered if NZ cancelled your ticket.
you might even have more protection from Australia rules.
I can't think of any additional protections from an Australian consumer standpoint. We don't even have cancelled, delay or denied boarding compensation here.

It will be interesting to see how DOT handles the issue of the airline reimbursing 'reasonable' expenses. I can see the airline trying to argue what is and isn't reasonable... although I'm not going to go into details because that would be giving the airlines a free kick.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
So I filed an enquiry with the ACCC about this, will report what I hear back. In the mean time, I got to this page on the internet...

Axey, RS250Racer, SFO777 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:41 pm

Waiting on a call back from Expedia. They're trying to see how to accommodate me back to the USA. It would seem that Air New Zealand also decided to jack up the price of economy tickets. On Sunday, both economy and business were reasonable during my selected itinerary, now business is over 5k and economy over 2k.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by poohfighter
Waiting on a call back from Expedia. They're trying to see how to accommodate me back to the USA. It would seem that Air New Zealand also decided to jack up the price of economy tickets. On Sunday, both economy and business were reasonable during my selected itinerary, now business is over 5k and economy over 2k.
Why NZ?
VA, DL and AA non-stops are all $1,051 for Economy on Sunday.
FJ Business Class is $1,679 on Monday.

Do you have miles with any airline/CC?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Why NZ?
VA, DL and AA non-stops are all $1,051 for Economy on Sunday.
FJ Business Class is $1,679 on Monday.

Do you have miles with any airline/CC?
I'm flying over Christmas and the dates I had booked from dec 27th-jan9th-feb 8th with a stopover in akl till the 9th. Looks like my best option to go home is to fly china airlines, but thats in coach and still more than this fare.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by poohfighter
I'm flying over Christmas and the dates I had booked from dec 27th-jan9th-feb 8th with a stopover in akl till the 9th. Looks like my best option to go home is to fly china airlines, but thats in coach and still more than this fare.
My bad. Misread your post.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
FWIW The airline cancelled the segments in my PNR but the ticket still shows as valid. I reinstated the segments and we'll see what happens.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by challett
FWIW The airline cancelled the segments in my PNR but the ticket still shows as valid. I reinstated the segments and we'll see what happens.

1. What OTA did you book through?
2. Where does the ticket show up as valid? (Amadeus or the anz website)
3. Did you reinstate the itinerary by asking the OTA to do it?
earlyriser likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
My reservation on expedia.au was cancelled this morning as well, just a simple, terse email indicating all flights were cancelled, nothing about refund/compensation/... Luckily I only just applied for Australian ETA, and about to book positioning flight from US to Melbourne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.