Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please:
Do NOT call the airline while the fare is still alive!
(Definitely dead now. Plead your case to have your ticket(s) reinstated!)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:20 am

the current JUS463 fare levels : $AU4797 + taxes/surcharges

the current KUS463 fare levels : $AU940 + taxes/surcharges

Between 00:01 and 08:00 on 18 September 2017 (NZT) return Business Premier™ fares (fare basis ZUS101Y) for the flight sectors between Australia and Los Angeles were available for AUD1,020.

Air New Zealand will need to be notified of customer preferences by 1700hrs AEST on Thursday 21 September 2017

ie it has taken us 60 hrs to come up with this response but we will give our customers in various timezones worldwide (many of whom won't receive this memo in time from their OTAs) only 24 hrs to respond to our offer
Air New Zealand accepts responsibility

Goodwill offer to customers

and to offer what Air New Zealand considers to be reasonable alternative
Interesting interpretation of the words/phrases accepts responsibility, Goodwill, reasonable alternative but then they do talk funny in New Zealand
earlyriser likes this.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Sep 20, 2017 at 6:28 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Miles & More, FlyingBlue, Iberia Plus Gold
This is a ridiculous offer for those who booked; they are even asking for more money to rebook them in Y while they do not allow changes of flights or dates. Of course anyone who is sensible would go for a refund.

This in addition to the fact they are not respecting their DOT obligations to reimburse non-refundable bookings made based on the booked itineraries.

Shame on you NZ !
earlyriser likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Wonder if they canx or not...wishing all the best and hope we hear about it.

Had a particularity nasty NZ agent who told me to get lost it is Expedia's problem, they did not sell me the ticket and they will not assist or recognize any ticket sold by a 3rd party until after travel has commenced (sounds bogus but...)

Anyways, Expedia seeing if they can sort out.

My other flights and hotels are going to need to be made whole by NZ.

I went ahead with it and found out about this surprise in HK (used 60k AS miles to fly Cathay to Australia via HK). Got the cancellation email from Orbitz. I'm now gonna be stuck in SYD without any way back. Will definitely be calling Orbitz later on to see what my options are (I already know it's limited). Ideally I'd get my points reimbursed and my airbnb reservation refunded by ANZ but hard to see that as an option they would do (at least the points).

I need another 30k AS miles now to book a return flight home. I think they currently have a 2x promotion on purchased miles.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Save all your receipts, file a DOT complaint as soon as you return. Air NZ is going to owe you everything you are out of pocket for. I am sure they have figured it is cheaper this way than honoring their mistake fare.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Agree the 25 hour reaccomodation window ridiculous, given the fact it has not been forwarded (at least by my OTA) to customers. Not that I want to rebook at those fares....
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by schnitzer
Air New Zealand recognises the inconvenience to customers who have booked the mistakenly filed fares, but is also aware of a large number of consumers who were alerted to the error through social media and purchased the fares knowing they were a mistake.
Straight out of the AA DOT ruling: https://www.transportation.gov/sites..._2015-11-3.pdf

When are people going to learn that calling these fares "error" and "mistake" is only making a rod for their own backs. You Have Been Upgraded and Scummy Flying are two of the worst offenders.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:17 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RS250Racer
Save all your receipts, file a DOT complaint as soon as you return. Air NZ is going to owe you everything you are out of pocket for. I am sure they have figured it is cheaper this way than honoring their mistake fare.

I just wonder....
I live in London and already have cheap positioning flights to xxx,
I had to positioning to SYD using miles but now mayby just I book normal ticket and send ANZ receipt when they will cancel flights....

do I should get advantage of their mistake?

Last edited by p78; Sep 20, 2017 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by danger
Straight out of the AA DOT ruling: https://www.transportation.gov/sites..._2015-11-3.pdf

When are people going to learn that calling these fares "error" and "mistake" is only making a rod for their own backs. You Have Been Upgraded and Scummy Flying are two of the worst offenders.
It probably makes no difference though. The current DOT position doesn't distinguish between whether the passenger knew or not whether it was a mistake. It only requires the airline to show it was a mistake. And NZ have potentially done that (provided what they say is true of course!).

If this was to go to a tribunal or court, the law around mistake would come in to play, and whether the passenger knew, ought to have known, or did not know, may become relevant.

Perhaps NZ is setting themselves up for an argument that additional expenses could not be reasonably incurred if the passenger knew it was an error?

All that happened after the last major mistake involving the CAT and DOT was that the DOT strengthened the position of the airlines. DOT was bombarded with - at times - tenuous arguments about what people said they believed. The same might happen here that DOT sides with the airlines over what is reasonable for incurred expenses. I'm not sure that's what we want?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:18 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, the Enforcement Office will not enforce the requirement of section 399.88 with regard to mistaken fares occurring on or after the date of this notice so long as the airline or seller of air transportation: (1) demonstrates that the fare was a mistake fare; and (2) reimburses all consumers who purchased a mistaken fare ticket for any reasonable, actual, and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the ticket purchase, in addition to refunding the purchase price of the ticket. These expenses include, but are not limited to, non-refundable hotel reservations, destination tour packages or activities, cancellation fees for non-refundable connecting air travel and visa or other international travel fees. The airline may ask the consumer requesting out-of-pocket expenses to provide evidence (i.e. receipts or proof of cancellations) of actual costs incurred by the consumer. In essence, the airline or seller of air transportation is required to make the consumer “whole” by restoring the consumer to the position he or she was in prior to the purchase of the mistaken fare.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kodawg9
I went ahead with it and found out about this surprise in HK (used 60k AS miles to fly Cathay to Australia via HK).

I need another 30k AS miles now to book a return flight home. I think they currently have a 2x promotion on purchased miles.
Even if AirNZ was to reimburse for out of pocket costs, it would be interesting to see how they would calculate the cost for the miles used. Probably not much.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:55 am

Good thing I hedged my bets and booked all 107 nights at the Ritz Carlton in Los Angeles!

Air NZ hit me up if you want to reinstate my tickets and save yourself $40 grand out of pocket!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by farting_fart_farts
Good thing I hedged my bets and booked all 107 nights at the Ritz Carlton in Los Angeles!

Air NZ hit me up if you want to reinstate my tickets and save yourself $40 grand out of pocket!
Good trolling post. They said reasonable. Though nothing to stop airline from just taking a DOT fine which would be cheaper
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

Anybody take a screen shot of their ANZ reservation? Mine said "Special Fare" in big letters across the top. Isn't that enough to suggest that these were legitimate fares?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by joetraveler99
Anybody take a screen shot of their ANZ reservation? Mine said "Special Fare" in big letters across the top. Isn't that enough to suggest that these were legitimate fares?
No, not really. NZ has said its a mistake, its logical explanation they fat fingered, that all they really need to tell DOT and DOT will believe them.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:46 pm

So what's the difference between this 'mistake fare', and any other one, such as the SAI/HAN-US Qatar fare, which was honored? Is it the generosity/frugality or the airline, or is there something more enforceable about the ones that are honored?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.