Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please:
Do NOT call the airline while the fare is still alive!
(Definitely dead now. Plead your case to have your ticket(s) reinstated!)
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE]Nz: Syd-lax z $944

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
+1 Expedia.com.au cancelation email.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, QF PL
+Expedia.com.au, cancelled email .... 4 legs all gone.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I surely hope those in the US will take full advantage of the DOT rules for compensation due to this action by NZ. I intend to file a DOT complaint. Not sure at what point they consider it a mistake....$1100 aud is not it far as I am concerned.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:01 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
my booked on expedia.com holding for now
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: JAL DMD, Hildon DMD, Velocity Plat
I called expedia.au regarding my cancelled tickets. The agent kept requesting my confirmation to refund the payment. I kept saying that I do not accept the refund and that I would like the service I paid for to be honoured. They opened a case number for me and would get back to me within 72 hours.

I suspect this will be a formal confirmation of the cancellation. At this point, I will ask for the contact details and then lodge a formal complaint with the NSW Department of Fair Trading.

I know the odds are stacked against me but I can't help but feeling that the contract here is one sided. On the one hand if I make a mistake about the spelling of names, or booking the wrong date or direction, the payment is non refundable. On the other hand if the airline makes a mistake, then they can simply cancel.
cliburn and earlyriser like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Finnair Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, National EE
Yep, looks cancelled on CMT; now, let's see how the refund is handled.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Received a very courteous call from AMEX travel. He even said that he has seen many fares like this one honoured previously. Interestingly, he also said Air New Zealand sent them full instructions of exactly what to communicate to customers. He is forwarding it over FWIW.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Just received email from expedia US said ANZ cancelled all 4 flight. I have got PNR and ticket number after booking so I booked some non-refundable hotel reservation(~$1200) at LA since I'm planning a vacation to disneyland next year anyway. Let's see if ANZ wants to pay my hotel or give my seat back
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
They cancelled 3 reservations I had...and since I actually have to go down under for these I'm going to avoid Air New Zealand and just book paid J fares.

Really sucks...it's not like this was clearly mistake pricing, it's not lower than coach, and i regularly buy domestic F tickets that are priced lower than coach...DOT here it comes.
earlyriser likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by challett
FWIW The airline cancelled the segments in my PNR but the ticket still shows as valid. I reinstated the segments and we'll see what happens.
One could debate the "validity" of a ticket with no sectors included.

But not for long!!!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by skyvanman

Really sucks...it's not like this was clearly mistake pricing, it's not lower than coach, and i regularly buy domestic F tickets that are priced lower than coach...DOT here it comes.
Have you tried to claim reimbursement directly from NZ? Possibly no need to go to the DOT.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
The travel agent sent me their ANZ memo on letterhead:

MISTAKEN FARES – AIR NEW ZEALAND CANCELLATION AND NEW OFFER

Dear Sir/Madam

Introduction
Air New Zealand Limited (“Air New Zealand”) wishes to advise you that certain Air New Zealand fares were mistakenly filed at prices that were 10% of their intended value.

Air New Zealand will be cancelling all affected bookings, and this note is to assist you to respond to queries your customers may have, and to offer what Air New Zealand considers to be reasonable alternative.

Background
Between 00:01 and 08:00 on 18 September 2017 (NZT), return Business Premier™ fares (fare basis ZUS101Y) for the flight sectors between Australia and Los Angeles were available for AUD1,020.
These fares were intended to be filed for AUD10,200 and were filed incorrectly as a result of human error.

Air New Zealand has cancelled, or will soon cancel, each booking made in relation to these mistakenly filed fares.

Air New Zealand recognises the inconvenience to customers who have booked the mistakenly filed fares, but is also aware of a large number of consumers who were alerted to the error through social media and purchased the fares knowing they were a mistake.

Air New Zealand accepts responsibility for the incorrect filing and is prepared to offer alternative arrangements to those customers affected.

Goodwill offer to customers
For each affected passenger, Air New Zealand is prepared to offer three alternatives:

 Full Refund: Full refund of the amounts received by Air New Zealand

 Return, Business Premier™: The mistakenly filed fares were intended to be available for $10,200 with wide availability. Air New Zealand is prepared to re-book customers on the same flights as any cancelled fare, in Business Premier™ return, based on the current JUS465 or JUS463 fare levels

 Return, Economy Class: Air New Zealand is prepared to re-book passengers on the same flight as any cancelled fare, in Economy class return, based on the current KUS466 or KUS463 fare levels
For customers who elect to re-book their fares as outlined above, the re-bookings will be made on their current itinerary. No change in flights or dates will be permitted.

Air New Zealand will need to be notified of customer preferences by 1700hrs AEST on Thursday 21 September 2017
Should you require any assistance in processing refunds, or re-booking affected passengers, Air New Zealand is happy to provide reasonable assistance through our Agency Support team.

Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this mistake.

Kind regards
Air New Zealand
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Nice letter, with clear admission of the error.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: Lots
What a generous offer to rebook people at current fare levels! Amazing goodwill!
smitty06 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:15 am

F this, I just took a positioning flight using miles from the US to Australia because my flight from Syd to LAX was next Monday. Literally just landed in Hong Kong on a connecting flight to Australia. What recourse do I have here? I can whine all I want but I bet that ain't gonna get me anywhere. So I now officially need to figure out how the hell im gonna get back to the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.